Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend a web/domain host?
Recommend a web/domain host?
I'm planning to set up a personal website - you know, the usual; portfolio, resume, and personal projects. Mostly art-related for now. So I'm looking
for a good web hosting service. Can anyone recommend a good company, and one that's pretty user-friendly?

I'm competent with html, shtml, and those aspects of web design. But I'm not too great with FTP clients and the more backend side of the business.

What would be a good service for me? I don't know where to start looking, or how to go about the whole domain name thing.

I have credit cards to pay by, so billing isn't a problem. My budget's low, though; all I'm looking to spare is a few bucks a month.

*waves flag* Help?
-- Acyl

We use portal of evil hosting and have never had a problem with them.

-----------------

Epsilon

we use Wiredtree and are quite pleased - our usage/needs are a little higher than 'normal' humans, as my roomate hosts his photos via wiredtree
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Getting the site, cheaply....
Web Domain names and hosting can be found cheaply through Harelink.biz

A name could be obtained for as little as $1.99 from them, dependent on the ending of the name.

See the site for details.

Their basic web hosting plan goes for $6.95 per month.

Plus, you get to help support Bill Holbrook, of Kevin and Kell fame!

I am going to recommend liquidweb,

Fair Warning, im somewhat biased since they employ me :-)

Edit: heres a link to the basic shared plan, which sounds like what youd want for a starting personal site kind of thing:

http://www.liquidweb.com/cart/content/ ... d/Standard
godaddy.com
I run yggdrasil.org on aaanime.net (the dude is doing it for free), but I've considered switching to another payhost from time to time.

Personally, I'd go with godaddy.com. No offense, but $4/mo or less is pretty hard to beat. They'll also do free ad-supported hosting, but that's
kinda meh.

Thanks for the advice, all.

And actually, yeah, the godaddy.com plans do look very good. I'm half considerin' 'em since, well, I'm trying to secure a certain expired domain through 'em anyway, and if I do get it, they'll apparently throw in some kind of hosting. But that's hardly a certainty one way or another.

I've also heard horror stories about godaddy. Any truth to that, or is it the usual mixed bag of reviews a big honking company attracts?
EDIT: Screw that, I actually looked what godaddy web hosting would mean in user terms, and I do not want to deal with their freakin' entry-level page manager. Doesn't seem like it'll let me, like, y'know, actually upload css and shtml files in peace...
-- Acyl

Acyl,

Yeah, for actual *control* over your page, you need to go with a paid package. I've helped a couple co-workers set up domains through godaddy, and their
paid tools are pretty easy.

Up to you, though. Most domain registration sites have some sort of hosting package going with them.

Try contacting Josh "Offsides" Megerman, his first name at honorablemenschen.com. He and several friends run Coyote Technical, which does hosting at
not-too-bad prices; I'm keeping my mostly dead site warriors-alpha.net on their servers. And service is pretty good when you know one of the owners on a
first-name basis.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.