Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, that's embarassing for a Newspaper
Well, that's embarassing for a Newspaper
And it's my own Hometown newspaper too ><

Newspaper gets own name
wrong.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

That made it onto the Steve Jackson Games forums earlier this week - http://www.regrettheerror.com/newspaper ... front-page]Here's a photo of the issue.

Oopsie...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Editor's Note
The editor's note on the next day's paper is made of 100% Pure Win(tm).

Quote: Readers may have noticed that the Valley News misspelled its own name on yesterday's front page. Given that we routinely call on other
institutions to hold themselves accountable for their mistakes, let us say for the record: We sure feel silly.
How?
How in the world could a mistake like that be made? I would think that the masthead would be a template that had the name permanently set. That's what we
did when I worked for our college newspaper (back in the early 80s).

Steve

I think it has more to do with digital publishing technology. If they do their layouts with something like Adobe Acrobat or {a few years older} Pagemaker...

Heck, it could even be a correction of an intern's WORSE mistake...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Speaking as a semi-professional editor and proofreader, you'd be surprised how things slip past you. Too tired, somebody talking to you, the phone ringing
at the wrong time, a song on the radio or an odd snipped of conversation outside your office; it can all happen at just the right moment to draw your
concentration away. What it looks like didn't happen is that the final proof copy didn't get that last once-over before being greenlighted for
printing. Maybe they were behind deadline. Whatever it was, the folks in charge of the front page are probably on thin ice right now. That's what my
manager calls a C.L.M. (Career Limiting Maneuver).
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."