Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you say "mummy" in Chinese....?
How do you say "mummy" in Chinese....?
In this case, it's spelled "Jet Li."

Yeah, I just got back from watching "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor." And, frankly? It ROCKED.

I really wasn't expecting too much, especially since Rachel Weisz wasn't reprising her role in this one. But my low expectations got their socks
blasted off. While the second "Mummy" movie was not up to the first, this one... this one could actually rival the first film for grabbing you and
sucking you in.

IMO, the scriptwriters really hit the "Sequel Sweet Spot," retaining enough of the old familiar (the jokes, the chemistry, the references to the
last two films) while adding enough new elements to avoid the "been there, done that" problem.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the film stood up to losing Rachel Weisz. Her replacement, Maria Bellow, wisely *doesn't* try to duplicate Ms
Weisz's acting -- instead, the character has been subtly tweaked to fit the new actress, and the fit is good enough that I, for one, actively ignored the
minor discrepancies in favor of immersing myself in the story. It was worth it. I haven't had this much fun in a theater since seeing "Iron
Man."

I'm more disturbed by the implications that one can now hire new actors to replace old characters besides James Bond, or the Doctor. One can actually
replace popular leads now.

Um, kent, hate to tell you this, but they always could.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Darrin was a popular lead? I never paid him any attention.

Rachel Weisz isn't dead. It's three consecutive movies. I discount Batman.