Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVD Player
DVD Player
Hey, can anyone reccomend a good PC dvd software for playback (Multi region would be ideal.) Free would also be cool, but not necessary.

Cheers,

Shayne
Re: DVD Player
If all you want to do is play the movie VLC works fine for me. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Don't forget that being region-free has two parts: the drive and the player. If the drive is region-locked (or has limited changes), then no matter what
player you use, you can't change your region more than the number of times the drive can change (usually 5). There are ways of making your drive
region-free, usually involving flashing the drive's firmware, which can have some risk (I've only bricked one drive of the 20 or so that I've ever
flashed, and that was a drive known have issues with flashing), but is usually pretty safe.

For players, though, I've always liked PowerDVD (which can go region-free if your drive is, using DVD Genie), but after version 6, it got pretty bloated
and slow. If you can get 5 or 6, though, it's quite nice.

With VLC I've had issues with the menus and subtitle display on some DVDs, but that's been pretty rare. Depending on how frequently you need those
features, you might never run into my problems.
------------
Honou Productions.

The region coding issue can be handled by software as well.

I've personally used Slysoft's AnyDVD, and it seems to be pretty reliable. Also can help with reading problem discs sometimes.

-Morgan.

I personally use Media Player Classic.