Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Com - whole thing $15, Steam
X-Com - whole thing $15, Steam
For those who like the X-Com series, Steam has the whole collection, including UFO Defense, Terror From the Deep, Apocalypse, Interceptor, and the hilariously
awful Enforcer available for $15 ($13.50 if you buy now). The DOS ones run via DOSBox.

*drools*

and I just reactivated my Steam account for the Orange Box, how convienient...
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

but what of those of us who reject the power of STEAM......
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
STEAM?!?
FOOL! The WORLD can be SAVED by STEAM!!!!!!

(...sigh. Ninja High School just isn't what it used to be....)

RADIOACTIVE BEANS!!!!!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I think I've already bought X-COM enough times...

(Had X-COM back when games came on floppy discs, got the collection of 1-3 later. And I've got a copy of Interceptor around here too.)

The simulation parts can get kind of tiresome sometimes, but I don't think I've played any other game that equals UFO Defense for turn-based squad
combat.

-Morgan. Also, you want Laser Rifles. Trust me.

Yes, I bought the X-Com complete pack and no it's not just the dos ones that use dosbox. Apocalypse does too, and that was a windows9x era game. Cause it
maybe a work around the fact that I do believe the CD of Apocalypse was apart of some funky drm system Microprose was using back then (I still can't get
Star Trek:birth of the federation working in XP because of that).

However, I think that if I make the game directories accessible by my Win98VM, well performance should improve and I'll be running them sans Steam. Who are
just the means of distributing the files and the clerk manning the Point Of Sale.

--Rod.H

"Yes, I want the Laser Rifles. But I'll take a gross of Blaster Launchers, Three Pallets of Blaster Bombs, a squads worth of Flying Suits, two crates
of Alien Grenades and a hovertank or two. Could you load 'em in the Avengers out the front?"

So, does this mean that they're selling the DOS versions, and not the Win9x-compatible Gold/Collectors' Editions that came out a while back?

Either way, I don't think I want to pay $15 for one game I like/already have (UFO Defense), one game I want to try fifty years from now when I have nothing
better to play (Apoc), and three duds.

-------------------

"I don't know. D'ya have the men to make good use of them?"

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I could never really get too enthusiastic about blaster launchers. Probably a result of that just about every time I raided a base, the commander would blow
itself up with one before I even got in the room. I'm not a big fan of self-pwning...

The nice thing about laser rifles is that since they have both autofire and infinite shots, you can just settle down and blast away to take out any walls that
are blocking your sidelines. Why go in through the door and possibly be taken out by the alien standing in the corner when you can make your own doors?

Last time I played I also learned how awesome the stun rods are. Have to be right next to the target, but since they KO in one hit and never miss, they're
nice for taking intact ships, when all the time I'll move forward, turn (without changing squares) and find myself standing -right next- to something.

-Morgan.

Apoc wasn't bad, intereptor was horrible though. Nothing matches the original though, and Terror from the deep is just a cheap clone with way too long
levels.

Never played enforcer, and I don't think I want to either.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

What bothered me with Apocalypse (well, one thing anyway) is how horrible the graphics were. I couldn't tell what anything was. How does it make sense for
it to have worse graphics than the original? o.O

-Morgan.

Apocalypse had better graphics than the original, not by much I'll grant but still.

http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/

is shaping up to be a decent remake of the original though.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"

... You're sure?

When I tried playing Apocalypse, it looked like total crap. Which is part of why I stopped. I'm not exactly a "it must be super pretty" person,
but when the quality is low enough that it actually interferes with playing the game... I tend to lose interest.

-Morgan.

Apoc went all art deco. Kind of weird, but it *was* superior graphics.

Really.

Maybe the system I was using just doesn't agree with it then, because when I tried it, it was can't-tell-what-things-are-totally-unplayable.

-Morgan.

I have never had that problem with apoc, in fat it's easily the second best xcom game made so far.