Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring A New Feature
Exploring A New Feature
One of the things Yuku now allows me to offer here is polls -- both admin- and user-created. And I have a good deal of leeway about where and how to allow
them. Please offer your opinion as to the place of polls on the boards. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I think we should be careful with using polls, and leave them in the hands of the Mods and the All Powerful Bob. That way polls don't get carried away.
Maybe put them in a Sub-forum on the original topic to localise them as well.

respectfully, I disagree.

I find the sub-forums awkward and easy to ignore. I would prefer polls be in the 'main' forum, for wherever they are meant to be.

If a poll isn't important enough to be stickied or to keep itself bumped... you do the math.

I REALLY agree about leaving polls in the hands of the Mods and The Bob, though.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

People post questions all the time. I don't think they'll get abused any more than the people here abuse any other feature of the board.

Like, say, the Politics forum.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote: ECSNorway wrote:

People post questions all the time. I don't think they'll get abused any more than the people here abuse any other feature of the board.

Like, say, the Politics forum.
I'm in agreement here. The userbase of the forums doesn't seem like it'd lend itself to an Apollcalypse, so I don't think just
giving the option(and, honestly, most people won't even noticed they HAVE them now, I suspect) will do any harm.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

IHNJ, IJLS "Apollcalypse."
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

One thing I've just noticed is that the date/time stamp seems to update when someone votes, which could prove annoying in some cases.

Yeah, I noticed that this afternoon. That's a minor annoyance, in my opinion, though.
-- Bob
---------

Well, it looks like the result is going to be pretty obvious.

I think I'm with Cobalt though... well, okay, maybe not. I'll find the date stamp thing annoying in *all* cases. My primary method of checking to see
if there's new posts is looking at the directory listing and comparing the timestamps to when I last checked. I've already been made irritable by
finding the new timestamp is just because of another vote. Depending on how many people actually do polls, it could become... aggravating.

I don't see any reason why anyone shouldn't be able to make polls though. Really, what's someone going to do with one, pilot the forum into the
sun?

-Morgan.

Well, that was interesting. I set an expiration of over a week to try to give as many irregular readers as possible a chance to make their opinion known, but
all the votes were cast within a couple days of me opening the poll. That tells me setting a duration longer than a couple days is probably not worth it.

Anyway, the results pretty much speak for themselves -- nobody wanted no polls at all, and the majority want them everywhere. So as soon as I hit the
"reply" button below, I'll go activate them everywhere but the various archive subfora.

Thanks for voting, everyone.
-- Bob
---------