Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prototyping...

Quote:And yay, it works under Mozilla. Except the subhead "A World of Difference..." is no longer visible. Argh.
Set a style on the subhead. should work.
Quote:No one has an idea or suggestion on the column length thing? I was afraid of that...
Cheat.

Set the entire page's background to that colour, and set the background of the other sections to whatever colour you want them to have. would set the selected area's background to orange. (Why you'd want an orange background is another matter...)

You probably want to take a look at the results of these in more than one browser before applying them to a real site - I don't know how IE handles the background-color property, for example.

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oh don't worry... I'm doing a lot of the development on this prototype in my free time at work, lunch and before hours and the like. I'm checking
it against IE7 there, then looking at it again when I get home using Mozilla, Firefox and IE6 (I think it's 6 at home)...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

And it definitely doesn't work right in IE6. This confuses me, because the menu is supposed to devolve gracefully. I thought I had it all set up right, too, dammit.

Meanwhile, re: Rob's latest suggestions, they work perfectly. And a big duh! and forehead slap from me over the background color thing. I should have thought of that. Now if only I could position the copyright info down at the bottom in some elegant and simple way.
-- Bob
---------

What's weird to me is that it shouldn't *have* to devolve gracefully, since the menu on GRC *works* in IE6. So something has to have gotten messed up
somewhere.

I've got tomorrow off, so maybe I'll play around with it some more then.

-Morgan.

I'd be very grateful if you did, regardless whether you find a solution or not. Thank you.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

No one has an idea or suggestion on the column length thing? I was afraid of that...

Here's a site that talks about a method: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/ it might be of help.

bmull -- I checked out the site not long after you suggested it; honestly, I didn't find anything I couldn't already do with the background color idea.
But thanks anyway!
-- Bob
---------
Let's Try This Again
Morgan, I don't know if you ever got a chance to look over what I was doing with the menu, but I did, this morning. I think I found a possible culprit -- some of the HTML code hidden in comments and triggered by an IE version. I blindly copied the "top of table" defaulting for old IEs to every top-level menu item, even though it only applies to the ones with drop-downs. I won't be able to test it until I get home, but it's now live on the test address above if anyone wants to look at it and tell me it's still screwed up.

Oh, and while I'm announcing new stuff, here's version 2.0 of my bookstore, courtesy of a newish service/widget/thingie for Amazon.com associates: http://astore.amazon.com/accessdenied]Please give it a look.

Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
re: Let's Try This Again
Success! That was the problem with the menus -- they now look right under IE6.

I guess that means it's time to start converting the site over...

Oh, wait, not yet -- I still need to figure out why the IFRAME-based Amazon search box isn't showing up...
-- Bob
---------