Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Tropes Reference Help?
TV Tropes Reference Help?
In a browse through the attention-devouring vortex, I came across the "Humans Are Cthulhu" page and a reference to a poorly-remembered Lovecraft parody
wherein the main character explores an impossibly ancient temple risen from the sea and is driven mad by the statue he finds there. I've read that story
myself, and not too long ago at that, but I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it or what it was called. All I can give you is the last line:
"The creature's horrible five-fingered hands and five-toed feet were nailed firmly to a great stone
cross!" ^.^

Pretty sure the author was someone in the Big Name Fan range, and my memory keeps defaulting to Frank Kelly Freas but that doesn't seem quite right. Can
anyone help?

--Sam

"I didn't want to have to do this... I mean I really didn't want to have to do this!"

I added that example, and my mind resolutely keeps skittering away from the author's name. I'm so sure I know who it was, but it refuses to come to me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

That's exactly what this is doing to me... >.

YES! That's it -- Take Off! It had a Phil Foglio cover, came out in the early 80s or late 70s, and had a sequel called Take Off Too!

Once I remembered Foglio, a Google search found it for me right away:

Take Off! (Randall Garrett) - DONNING/STARBLAZE

(and the sequel Take Off Too! (Randall Garrett) - DONNING/STARBLAZE)

Alibris http://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwo ... ed/Takeoff]!] lists several copies for sale, and Amazon.co.uk points at a couple dealers who also have copies.

(Some sources list it as "Takeoff", which may explain how hard it is to find with a text search.)

I'm looking for a page with a table of contents so I can find the story title, but we can at least put what we now have in the entry.
(EDIT)  I just found an image of the cover.  "Takeoff" (one word) is the proper title.
(EDIT2) Found the title:  "The Horror Out of Time".
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Sweet! Glad I could help Smile

(That must be why I kept defaulting to Freas -- I was associating it with him by way of the first two Myth Adventures trades, the ones illustrated by him
instead of Foglio.)

--Sam

"How the hell did I do that?"