Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP - John Mortimer and Andrew Wyeth
RIP - John Mortimer and Andrew Wyeth
That (expletive-deleted) with the Death Note's at it again.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/01 ... -dies.html]John Mortimer (creator of Rumpole of the Bailey) dies at age 85

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/story/ ... -dies.html]Andrew Wyeth (realist painter) dies at age 91

This has not been a good week...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

At least we don't have 155 more deaths from impact trauma and hypothermia to add to that...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

True. That means it hasn't been a horrid week, either...
--
Rob Kelk

I was wondering where you were going with that Bob, till I happened to go up and shoot some darts and saw the CNN coverage... though they had the sound down.
Just how DID that plane wind up in the Hudson???
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Star Ranger4 Wrote:I was wondering where you were going with that Bob, till I happened to go up and shoot some darts and saw the CNN coverage... though they had the sound down. Just how DID that plane wind up in the Hudson???
Some damn fine piloting by the crew, that's how. If the pilot was any less capable, it would have gone down in NYC instead of on the Hudson.

(I didn't even know that class of plane could deadstick...)
--
Rob Kelk

The flying was the easy part. If the pilot hadn't got the LANDING perfect...well it might have been worse (A hijacked play tried it after it ran out of
fuel. Its port wingtip hit water first, and the plane ripped itself apart). It also helps that that model has a 'ditch-switch', auto-closing openings
to enable the aircraft to float.

Star Ranger4 Wrote:I was wondering where you were going with that Bob, till I happened to go up and shoot some darts and saw the CNN coverage... though they had the sound down. Just how DID that plane wind up in the Hudson???
Laguardia airport, where the plane took off from, is sort of to the north and a bit east of Manhattan. It was a flight to South Carolina but the plane took off going north, so the pilot had to make a U-Turn after taking off anyway. Instead of trying to pull a powerless plane in for a very tight U-turn to go back to the field, he opted for a wider, safer turn and aimed for the Hudson, basically.

As for how they managed, well, the flight lucked out with the pilot. As the CBS radio news put it the day after, this was the guy you want piloting your plane when it has to crash-land. First-ranked pilot during his time in the military, a safety consultant on the side, a certified glider pilot for fun. Basically, the perfect pilot to do a perfect controlled crash.
-- Bob
---------

And for those wondering how the plane lost power.

It seems a flock of geese decided that flying into the intakes of a jet would be a great idea.

An entire flock.

The frozen chicken test NEVER had this in mind.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

besides, your supposed to thaw the chicken before putting it in the cannon Berk...

Well all that does explain why CNN labeled it Miracle on the Hudson. A lot of factors came together just right instead of just wrong for once!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

According to CBS radio news this morning, you can actually hear the geese impacting the plane on the cockpit recorder. Basically, someone says something like,
"oh crap, birds" and then thump-thump-thump-thump-thump...
-- Bob
---------

From one report I heard, the Pilot was the last one out of the plane, after walking the length of the plane twice to make sure all the passengers were out.

That he was, according multiple reports I've heard. Skilled, cool in a crisis, and conscientious after. Give that man a raise.
-- Bob
---------