Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More hardware woes

Quote:The only thing to do now is to see if the monitor when it comes back works with the digital.
Well, one other thing -- I'm going to buy a new digital cable tonight, just in case that's shot.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Sort of on topic, I just picked up a 22" widescreen...

Holy crap! How did I live with a CRT that long?! o_O
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

flatpanels and resolution and horsepower, Oh My!

It's a good time to be a gamer, when a sub-200$ card can crank out CoH with glorious pretties, on the same 1080p Big Screen that you have in the living
room...

It's easier and cheaper to have Righteous Gaming, and it's More Righteous. good times!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Further update. As reported in the Alienware thread, I just found emails from Samsung in my work inbox. The monitor has been repaired and sent back out, and
judging from the UPS tracking report will be on my doorstep tonight. The time-in-shop was under one day. This means one of three things:

1) Trivial repair,

2) They had a good monitor of the same type handy to swap with me,

or

3) There was nothing wrong with the monitor and it's my graphics card that's shot, despite the testing the Samsung tech had me do on the monitor before
boxing it up and sending it out.

I can't seem to find a summary or report or anything to tell me which of these is the case, unfortunately.
-- Bob
---------

Update: Monitor is back, but I haven't opened it up yet because I've been busy making (and now eating) dinner. Investigating links off the emails
doesn't enlighten me as to the diagnosis/fix, and the turnaround is so quick I wonder if they discovered another monitor to swap with me after all. More on
this as it develops.
-- Bob
---------
Hardware Woes Now Ceased
The monitor is back in place and working just fine with the digital cable. All my fears about bad cable or shot digital port on the card and the like were
just rampant worry on my part. The serial number is the same, so it's my original monitor and not a swap.

According to Samsung's tech support line, the shop "replaced an IP card". I'm figuring "IP" means "interface port" for
lack of a better expansion of the acronym that makes more sense given the problem.

So, yay.
-- Bob
---------

Good news! Glad to hear it was that (relatively) easy.

Also... I suspect the "IP" they refer to is in fact "Image Processing", all things considered. I know I've replaced my share of IP
circuits in electronics over the years, and that's what it meant for those... *grin*

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I stand corrected. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------