Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What New Features Would You Like To See?
What New Features Would You Like To See?
As part of my lon-term goal of making myself more employable, I am learning or refreshing myself on various languages and technologies, many of which are (not
coincidentally) employed for active (or at least flashy-looking) content on web pages. I always seem to learn better when I've got a cool idea or project
to work on, so I wanted to see if anyone had anything along those lines they'd like to see my website include.

Just so people know what's already in the pipeline, I'm recreating the Sidhaisin dictionary (taken down during the site revamp of August 2008) as a
MySQL app complete with querying and whatnot. And I've got an idea about taking the fanfic continuum map and turning it into a live graphic thingy where
each node links out to the fic in question and also has information to pop-up, and in which navigation is handled by clicking the link lines. Not sure how
I'm going to do it, but I know it's doable.

So... is there anything else out there, hopefully not too ambitious, that people think the site could use, and which I might be able to turn into a learning
experience?

Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

.... cant think of a thing bob.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I see that your "Email" tab is a simple "mailto" link. I'll bet you get a fair amount of spam because your email address is easy to
read...

You could set up a reply form with a script of some sort that turns the form submission into a properly-formatted email; that way, you wouldn't have to
leave your address out where every spambot can read it.

(BTW, Bob, how's your ITIL knowledge? That's the current IT-business-flow flavour of the week - it helps to have some idea what the buzzwords are. If
you don't have your "green pin" yet, let me know and I'll send an overview of the paradigm your way...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:I'll bet you get a fair amount of spam because your email address is easy to read...
Actually, it's not. The whole link is coded in hexadecimal so that spambots can't see it's a mailto with a live address, but a browser will interpret it just fine. Open up one of my pages and check the source.
Quote:(BTW, Bob, how's your ITIL knowledge? That's the current IT-business-flow flavour of the week - it helps to have some idea what the buzzwords are. If you don't have your "green pin" yet, let me know and I'll send an overview of the paradigm your way...)
My what? (And if that isn't sufficient answer...)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Got you. It looks like I left the overview at work, so I'll send it off this evening...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012