Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention, Watchmen fans
Attention, Watchmen fans
Wil Wheaton has seen the Watchmen movie, and he loved it.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Well, that's certainly interesting. Good to know it's not total ass, and Wil would certainly recognize total ass. He had to play one, after all. :lol
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Apparently it's getting good reviews all around.

----------------------

Epsilon

None of this is telling me whether they've retained the "thermo-dynamic miracles" speech. And the bits about changing the ending so that it's
"punchier" are making me extremely nervous ...

Chris Davies.

Everyone I've read who's seen the movie and was concerned about the ending seems to be okay with it, Chris.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Personally my concern is less about the ending and more about how they'll contain the story in 2 1/2 hours. (I've always maintained that the best
format for filming Watchmen is in the form of a television miniseries.)
--YJK, AKA Arnold Kim
---------------------------
Watch my brand new video blogs at my Youtube channel!

"Kanrinin-SAAAN!" - Yusaku Godai

Avatar- Lum Invader, courtesy of this fan made Youtube video

My Anime List:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ArnoldK

<post deleted due to bad link>
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

You cannot link directly to this page...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Its the same link as in 'The Watchmen movie will not be as good as this' ("Saturday Morning Watchmen")
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Thought so, but he still needed to know it was an invalid link.

NO QUARTER!!!

Quote: Star Ranger4 wrote:

You cannot link directly to this page...
Strange. Once I finished posting the link, I immediately tried to use it, and it worked fine at the time.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Wow... A lot of the reviews accessible via Yahoo.... "Don't get it." I guess that come from them being more apt to lavish praise on a regency
romance than a dystopian vision of an alternate 1985...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll

probably because the page was in your disk cache and you wernt trying to pull it via the net.

NO QUARTER!!!

Saw it last night at midnight, and other than my dubious response to the change in the ending (which I will not spoil here), my response was as follows:

Wow. Must. See. Again...whattaya *mean* the theater's closed?!?!?!?

Sadly I have to wait for a Saturday matinee due to my job's scheduling me *right* in the middle of the Friday Matinee....

-- James Nicoll

Without spoiling... just saw it... (wow o.O)... and I approve of the new ending. It makes a lot more sense and pares
away unneeded plot elements.

I'd have to call it an improvement on the original. Though don't quote me if Alan Moore's around. Smile

--Sam

"This forum is afraid of me. I have seen its true face."
Just Saw It
That was acceptable.

BARELY.

But I'm aghast at the idea that people think the new ending is an improvement. Also, the sex scene took too long, and the fact that she wore her boots
during it was really needless. (I'm just about 100% sure she was totally naked in the original.) Likewise, the montage revealing the history was needless,
since it was all gone over at least once more in the film proper. And it made some of the subtleties of the original way too explicit. And the Outer Limits
cameo was pointless, since this version wasn't inspired by that episode! And Laurie saying the key line to Dan makes no sense. If she'd said it to
Adrian, that would have made sense, and it would have been a nice capstone.

Chris Davies.

Okay, so what did I like about it.

Jackie Earle Haley and Billy Crudup were dead-center-perfect in their roles. I've always heard Dr. Manhattan with a deep, sonorous voice, but the version
in the film has completely eradicated that. Dead-center-perfect. (And whoever did Rorschach's parkour was pretty damn brilliant too.)

The music was very good -- though I was rolling my eyes at the sheer inappropriateness of Hallelujah, a song about lost love, over the aforementioned
sex scene -- and I especially approve of the use of Desolation Row and the best recording ever of Leonard Cohen's First We Take Manhattan
over the closing credits.

It was acceptable. It was a good commercial for the graphic novel. And it had something approximating the thermodynamic miracles speech. But it was not the
film it needed to be.

Chris Davies.

I enjoyed it, and I didn't have to explain the plot to my father, unlike The Dark Knight. I agree that Doctor Manhattan and Rorschach were spot-on. Also, gotta love the little touches, like the psychiatrist's briefcase combination being 300.

-- James Nicoll

Just came back from watching it. Good movie, but I also understand why Alan Moore considers it to be "unflimable". To me, Watchmen is a story
that's best enjoyed at your own pace, where you could breeze through or meditate on the images as long as you please, or go back and forth as one panel
recalls a previous panel. Here I felt like I was more being "pushed" through the story at someone else's pace, and I don't know if
that's the best way to tell "Watchmen."I wondered if anyone who never read the graphic novel could really follow everything that was going on in
the begining, All the stuff with the old Minutemen of the 40s, the Watchmen (really, the Crime Stoppers) of the 60s, and the storyline in the 80s, I thought it
may have been a little to quick for first timers.

Good, spoiler free points about the film: They did manage to efficiently tell the story without cutting too much of the flesh, which is what I was afraid
would happen. Generally the acting was really great and everyone really fit their roles. I particularly liked Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach, Jeffrey Dean
Morgan as the Comedian, and Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl/Dan Dreiberg, who were pretty much exactly as I would imagine them in film. The new ending was not so
bad, but I thought that the imagery from the original one was more powerful and striking. And overall, it really does manage to get a lot right in terms of
adapting the characters and story.

A good movie, about as true and accurate a Watchmen movie as you can make (with of course the exception of the new ending), but I don't think film is
really the best medium to tell the story. This movie's probably a 6.5, the graphic novel's a 10.
--YJK, AKA Arnold Kim
---------------------------
Watch my brand new video blogs at my Youtube channel!

"Kanrinin-SAAAN!" - Yusaku Godai

Avatar- Lum Invader, courtesy of this fan made Youtube video

My Anime List:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ArnoldK

I loved it. I think the ending makes more sense than the graphic novel (and always throught that the original ending was ridiculous). The sound track was
great.

----------------

Epsilon

I loved it. I thought the sex scene perfectly captured the frantic, uncomfortable, adrenaline driven nature of the act. I highly approve of the new editing,
and by and large, I think the editorial cuts were neccesary and correct.

I agree, though, this was a good movie version of an excellent book.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Quote:Also, gotta love the little touches, like the psychiatrist's briefcase combination being 300
Likewise, the Comedian's apartment number, 3001, losing the "1" in the fight.
Peg and I just got back a couple hours ago from seeing it.  She is now reading the graphic novel.
I was impressed, overall.  It had the right feel, despite the losses and changes.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:I mean, I
didn't even know Nite Owl's superhero name UNTIL THE BLOODY CREDITS!
Huh?  In his first scene, with Hollis, Hollis explicitly says "You were a better Nite Owl than I was."
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Quote: I mean, I didn't even know Nite Owl's superhero name UNTIL THE BLOODY CREDITS!
Huh? In his first scene, with Hollis, Hollis explicitly says "You were a better Nite Owl than I was."
Well, myself and the person I was with missed that then
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed