Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show your Anime Knowledge!!!

First anime seen was Robotech, but I didn't watch much of it (I was too young). Didn't watch more until fansubs...

First fansub: Magic Knight Rayearth (actually, saw it screen unsubbed, and wen searching for all kinds of info

Probably the reason I'm an avid fan of Magical Girl anime.

First anime: Mazinger Z (Tranzor Z dub)

First fansub: Utena
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

Logan Darklighter Wrote:
Quote:The first anime I saw was Thunderbirds 2086 (Kagaku Kyujotai Techno Voyager), although I didn't know it was anime. (Edit: I wish somebody
would release that on DVD. Hey, if Mysterious Cities of Gold can get a DVD release, anything's possible...)
Wow. That's one of the most unique "vectors" for entering anime fandom I've ever heard of! Where do you live? And man, I agree, I wish they'd release Thunderbirds 2086/Technoboyger to DVD as well. Sad that such a thing has been all but forgotten.
I'm one of those rarities who actually grew up in Canada's Capital Region (as opposed to moving here to take a government or high-tech job). Thunderbirds 2086 was on TV in the mid-1970s here.

(What? Yeah, I'm within a few years of being Bob's age; why do you ask?)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

First exposure to anime was technically Voltron (in the single-digit years down in Tucson, Arizona), I suppose, though I certainly didn't think of it as
such at the time -- it was just an awesomely cool cartoon that ran during the 3pm timeslot. If I hurried, I could make it home from school every day in time
to catch it, barely. (And it was hopelessly out-of-sequence, as I recall.)

First exposure to anime that I knew was anime: Akira, in my teens. I then proceeded to devour every tape I could from the local video store. Since I lived in
a small town (2800 people), there wasn't much, and it was... eccentric, at best. Project A-Ko was good, I recall; Fist of the North Star probably would
have been, if it hadn't been dubbed in Spanish with Japanese subtitles. I quite liked Mighty Space Miners and Odin: Photon Space Sailor Starlight, but not
only have few heard of those, the ones that have seem to universally revile them.

Oh, and, Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies. That was the extent of the stores anime collection.

First exposure to fansubs: Nanoha, late last year, before the US release came out.

First exposure to fanfiction: Yahoo!, back when they had people combing lists of submissions and manually organizing the URLs. There was an entry titled
"Web-Published Fiction", in which I stumbled across a link to a list of stuff, one of which was some really crappy Star Trek story about this ensign
who could do anything without messing up her hair...

... and another was to Undocumented Features. This would have been in '97.

(And, for the record: I *still* have not seen Robotech, though it appears I saw part of Macross at some point without realizing what it was -- some clips from
AMVs strike a very resonant chord)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

My first anime was Speed Racer, snuck in between more "acceptable" television viewing. My mother didn't want me to watch it, because she
thought it was too violent (I was about 5 or 6 at the time). After that "Battle of the Planets," then "Robotech" and "Star
Blazers." A few episodes of "Captain Harlock" and "Thunderbirds: 2084" were in there for flavor, when they showed up on Sunday
mornings.

My first fansub was either "Bubblegum Crisis" (the original) or "Iczer-1," rapidly followed by "Dirty Pair."

My first fanfiction was probably "The Ballad of Lord Robin" but might have been "Undocumented Features 1." I honestly don't remember,
but I remember reading them at about the same time (1990-91).
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

The first anime I ever saw was robotech. The first time I knew it was anime was when I was watching Dragonball Z *raw and untranslated* with a Korean friend
back in the late 80s-early 90s. My friend provided translation on the fly. This may also count as the first fansub I ever watched.

If we're not counting that, then the first fansub I ever saw was of Akira, not too long afterwards.

Man, I feel old now.
"Not this again!" Minerva said. "Albus, it was You-Know-Who, not you, who marked Harry as his equal. There is no possible way that the prophecy could be talking about you!" - Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, Chapter 84

Quote: Kurisu wrote:

I guess I can 'blame' the new guy for this one, but I feel it's a good couple of questions to put forth.

#1. What is the name of the First japanese anime show you have seen? (English redubs are acceptable.)

#2. What is the name of the First fansubbed japanese anime you have seen?

...and to be fair, my answers.

The first anime show I has exposed to was 'Star Blazers' (Space Battleship Yamato English redub)

The first fansub anime for me was Video Girl Ai
Technically, my first anime was Speed Racer (local reruns in the early 80s- I'm not -that-old).

First fansub was most likely the second Ranma 1/2 movie, in 1994. It was either that or DBZ movie 8, but I'm fairly sure it was Ranma.
--YJK, AKA Arnold Kim
---------------------------
Watch my brand new video blogs at my Youtube channel!

"Kanrinin-SAAAN!" - Yusaku Godai

Avatar- Lum Invader, courtesy of this fan made Youtube video

My Anime List:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ArnoldK

First anime I ever saw: The one that comes to mind is Voltron, but I also vaguely remember bits of Robotech as well. Though Sailor Moon was what got me into
more.

First Subtitled: Sailor Moon R movie.
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
--Dr. Seuss

Okay, time for me to give a pretty off-the-wall answer to question 1.

The first anime I ever watched was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_War ... ld_Lightan]Golden Warrior Gold Lightan (Ogon Senshi Gorudo Raitan). An early '80s show about a giant robot that transforms into a cigarette lighter. No, no, really. He transforms into a cigarette lighter which is then carried around by a kid sidekick too young to smoke. One wonders if teachers at school ever busted his ass for carrying his robot pal. =D

Of course, I was too young at the time to understand the concept of cigarette lighters, and to me he was simply a small yellow box. I also watched the Mandarin Chinese dub, mind, and the fact it was dubbed anime was totally lost on me until adulthood...when, logically, I realised it must have been dubbed anime and looked for information about the series.

Lightan is in the recent Tatsunoko vs. Capcom fighter, which caused me to totally geek out in an arcade not too long ago.

Friend: "Hey, just a sec, I wanna go in here. They've got that new Capcom game."
Me: *noncommitally* "Enh, okay, whatever. Capcom game?"
Friend: "Yeah, versus characters-from-some-manga-company."
Me: "The fact you don't know what company or who they are isn't a good sign, is i---HOLY SHIT."
Friend: "What?"
Me: "IT'S XIAO DAN SE!!!! HOLY SHIT WE HAVE TO PLAY THIS NOW!!!"
Friend: "...what."
Me: "Er, you know, the badly translated Chinese name for..."

...yeah.

First fansubs I've watched, ennh, I'm not sure. I wanna say Houshin Engi, but it might be Excel Saga. Possibly Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Honestly it's all a blur; when I actually got into anime proper between...hell, I dunno, 1999-2004, I did so in a big way. I blame my friends, and the fact I dated anime fangirls.

First fanfic I read was almost certainly old Sonic the Hedgehog stuff. First anime fanfiction I came across, however, was probably Evangelion material - the one that sticks in my head is Neon Exodus Evangelion from the Eyrie crew, and that early Eyrie exposure directly leads to me being here and posting on these boards. =)
-- Acyl

Quote: Acyl wrote:

Okay, time for me to give a pretty off-the-wall answer to question 1.

The first anime I ever watched was Golden Warrior Gold Lightan (Ogon
Senshi Gorudo Raitan). An early '80s show about a giant robot that transforms into a cigarette lighter. No, no, really. He transforms into a
cigarette lighter which is then carried around by a kid sidekick too young to smoke. One wonders if teachers at school ever busted his ass for
carrying his robot pal. =D
Holy Crap! I remember seeing the Opening and closing animation for that show on an old VCR tape back in the 80s! It was a tape full of Openings
and closings of what seemed like EVERY anime show to have been made up until that point. It was something the old EDC fanclub used to play in-between scheduled
movies and shows at conventions if the schedule had a brief gap in it. And I remember seeing Gold Lightan as one of those! (And being non-plussed/amused by it
- "He's... a lighter. A gold cigarette lighter... literally. O... kay.... ^_^ )

Quote: Acyl wrote:

I blame my friends, and the fact I dated anime fangirls.

I am of a mind to call BS on that, because all the anime fangirls I have encountered in my travels are the type you wouldn't want to
date in the first place.

(I have met many an otaku that have severely embarrassed me.)
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...