Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When is a speedsub not a fansub?
When is a speedsub not a fansub?
When it's released by the company that licenced the anime.

http://funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=553]FUNimation licences new FMA anime, promises to release subs the same week they're on Japanese TV

(I'm told Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a retelling, not a sequel.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yea, I saw this the other day. This will be the new future of anime. Companies getting the license (or the japanese creator/broadcasters) doing sub releases a
couple days to a week after. DVD sets will be there for those who want to own it in much better quality than the online version. It has to be done. American TV
companies have been doing it for a couple years now...
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Argh. That pretty much spells the end of the Fansubbing community at large. The most they'll be able to do now pick up the odd anime that doesn't get
snapped up by companies like Funimation (emphasis on 'odd' - anime like Akikan is rather interesting, but the hook is still pretty peculiar).

Well, there's always Macross.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Quote: Valles wrote:

Well, there's always Macross.
I'm not quite greping what you're getting at there.

Even without the whole Harmony Gold delusions of grandeur issue, Macross's habit of integrating music into the plot means that the rights for the music
have to be bought, too. Combine that with the size of the property and the fact that it's usually actual star power in the soundtrack, and Macross has
not/is not/is very unlikely to ever be licensed for English release. The Mouse might have the cash and pull to pull it off, but nobody smaller could.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Ah. I am enlightened. ^_^ Thanks, Valles.

Having trouble wrapping my brain 'round that picture...

"Walt Disney presents Super Dimensional Fortress Macross."

Nope, still ain't happenin'....
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

FMA: Brotherhood has been billed as an animation of the FMA comic, since the FMA animated series that originally came out diverged rather heavily somewhere
around the unveiling of Sloth.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

Actually, I think I can see Disney believably doing Macross. They'd simply work through Miramax as they did with Princess Mononoke. Remember, just because
it's owned by Disney does not mean that it is Disney-fied.

Quote: blackaeronaut wrote:

Argh. That pretty much spells the end of the Fansubbing community at large.

Aha. Yeah, I'll beleive that when I see it. Also, if the anime is coming out just as quickly here as it is there then... why should you care if the
fansubbing community ceases to exist?

-----------------

Epsilon

Actually, I think I can see Disney believably doing Macross. They'd simply work through Miramax as they did with Princess Mononoke. Remember, just
because it's owned by Disney does not mean that it is Disney-fied.
Disney does not own Mononoke. They have a license that Ghibli agreed to only if Ghibli (and particularly Hayao Miyazaki himself) had final
approval on the translations. They couldn't Disneyfy it if they wanted to. They'd lose the English distribution rights to every Ghibli picture.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:Disney does not own Mononoke. They have a license that Ghibli agreed to only if Ghibli (and particularly Hayao Miyazaki himself) had final approval on the translations. They couldn't Disneyfy it if they wanted to. They'd lose the English distribution rights to every Ghibli picture.

Props to Hayao Miyazaki for having a pair of mouse balls in his hand.

*G*
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Shinsen-Subs has subbed the first episode anyway. Smile

--Sam

"Oh, there's crime here. I can smell it."

I didn't mean that the anime is owned by Disney. I meant the other companies like Miramax (or is that actually owned by the parent company, Buena Vista?).

I say its the end of the fansubbing community at large because this will give some self-righteous ass hat the chance they've been wanting to after subbers.
That, and do you know how expensive it is to have to buy this stuff one DVD at a time? It's not something I do, not since I had collected Last Exile.

Well, it's not as if anybody releases anime one DVD at a time any more...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

That, and do you know how expensive it is to have to buy this stuff one DVD at a time?

[Image: th_tiniest-violin.jpg]

------------------

Epsilon

Epsilon Wrote:
blackaeronaut Wrote:That, and do you know how expensive it is to have to buy this stuff one DVD at a time?
------------------
Epsilon

Well he's got a point, especially if you're buying the R2 Japanese DVD releases. At least 6000 yen for 2 episodes minimum. And by individual volume in the US $15->$30 with epcounts of 2 to 6, which makes waiting for the box set of some series', a very attractive idea.

As for the music rights front in Macross. Macross Frontier's music was sourced from one label: JVC/Victor/Flying Dog, the same label the performers are signed to. Gundam Seed on the other hand has music sourced from Victor, Sony Music Japan, Epic.

Besides, I think that once they finishing releasing Macross Frontier in japan and box-set it, Bandai might release a sub'd version everywhere else.

--Rod.H

Quote: Rod H wrote:

Quote: Epsilon wrote:

That, and do you know how expensive it is to have to buy this stuff one DVD at a time?

------------------

Epsilon

Well he's got a point, especially if you're buying the R2 Japanese DVD releases. At least 6000 yen for 2 episodes minimum. And by individual volume
in the US $15->$30 with epcounts of 2 to 6, which makes waiting for the box set of some series', a very attractive idea.

As for the music rights front in Macross. Macross Frontier's music was sourced from one label: JVC/Victor/Flying Dog, the same label the performers are
signed to. Gundam Seed on the other hand has music sourced from Victor, Sony Music Japan, Epic.

Besides, I think that once they finishing releasing Macross Frontier in japan and box-set it, Bandai might release a sub'd version everywhere else.

--Rod.H
Bandai isn't doing very well atm. They just cancelled/delayed a bunch of their US releases, and they've been doing that basically all
year....
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Argh. Things for anime are in the toilet in general. Most likely because of the economy. If anyone knows of any fire-sales going on, be a dear and let us know.

I don't know, maybe it's the fact that I've been dealing with licensing issues at my work, but I don't see a problem with this other than the
fact that you'll be forced to buy more anime rather than torrent quasi-legal fansubs.