Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun With Acronyms?
Fun With Acronyms?
I was listening to the radio during a quick dash out to the bank in the rain about half an hour ago. As most folks here know, I'm in the New Jersey area,
so I tend to hear a lot of NYC stations, and in this case I was listening to WCBS 880 AM, an all-news station. There was a piece about a group of college
students advocating the right to carry weapons on campus, their activism no doubt timed to coincide with the Columbine anniversary, and their relatively
civilized conflict with a group of opposite opinion. I wouldn't have given it much thought except my mind -- which is constantly playing with words and
numbers in anagram/acronym/shuffle kinds of ways -- converted the name of the group to an acronym and I said to myself, no way in hell did no one try to
abbreviate and pronounce it.

The group is the New York Students for Concealed Carry on Campus -- NYSCCOC.

I am reminded of the group founded by Rimmer in Red Dwarf: the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms etc.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

either that, or they have a hidden male-genital-admiration platform.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Back in high school, when I first discovered Champions, a friend made a comprehensive list of acronymic agencies, including the traditional S.H.I.E.L.D. and
U.N.I.T., as well as the more esoteric ones from RPGs (the whole list started when we were trying to figure out if Hydra and Viper were actually acronyms). He
lost control of it after a while, adding more and more silly agency names. The last one, at the bottom of the list, was A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. I forget what it stood
for, but it was extremely silly.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I also used ACRONYM, as the Ancient Cryptic Recondite Order of Necromantic Ysian Mysticism. They would've been Mike Maxwell's arch-nemesis
organization if Sailor Moon Expanded hadn't tanked...

Some other ideas:

American Association of Retired Galactic Heroes

From a yet-to-be-written hentai story: Crusade to Limit Interdimensional Migration of Amorous Xenoforms

Extradimensional/Interstellar Entities Investigation Organization

Worldwide Extranormal Intelligence, Research, and Defense Organization

--Sam

"Is this a warm moment or should we be disturbed?"

That reminds me Lurker...

Just what happened to SME? I stopped following it when I checked and saw there hadnt been any new material up in like six months.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Interest and attention just sort of... waned.

There've been occasional put-the-band-back-together moments, but moments is all they've been so far...

--Sam

"This is graveness."

Quote:I am reminded of the group founded by Rimmer in Red Dwarf: the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms etc.
Or, according to http://www.stormloader.com/users/moelan ... Groups.htm]Moe Lane, the In Nomine techno-angelic organization "The Committee to Limit Infernal Technological Objectives/Resources In Society"...

I suppose by now that everybody knows that TLA stands for "Three-Letter Acronym", right?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And let's not forget an organization found in a sidebar of GURPS Illuminati: TRI, which stands for "Three Random Initials".
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Since I take myself far too seriously, almost all of the acronyms I've ever dreamed up were intended to be serious. Almost....

Among the serious ones:

Executive Authority for Global Law Enforcement

Combined Agencies Special Taskforce for Law Enforcement

International Military and Police Agency for Counter-Terrorism

Secret Hierarchy for Revolution, Intimidation, Killing, and Espionage

and plenty more that were so uninspired that even I don't remember them any longer.

Less serious:

Multiversal Executive for Nihilism, Anarchy, Chaos, and Evil

Special Unified Intelligence Commando, Interdiction and Deterrence Executive

Artificial Intelligence Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Tactical ReInforcement Kinetic Effectuator (not an agency but a robot assistant, like
a flying R2D2; "kinetic effectuator" was a clumsy way of saying in emergencies it'll ram the enemy)

(Oh, yes, I almost forgot): Fifties and Older Generation, Enemies of the Young (the extremist wing of the Gray Panthers)

Keith Laumer came up with some good sarcastic ones in his Retief stories.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I once claimed to be a member of the Super-Numerary Autonomous Response Command.
And I recall reading in a recent novel (Mike Williamson's The Weapon) a commando playing the part of a terrorist in a training excercise named his pretend terror group "Committee for Utilization of Natural Treasures with Spiritualism".
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

With regards to SME: A lot of stuff got planned, but not a lot of stuff ever really, really got written out. Folks moved on. Tastes changed. I honestly
can't look back at anything I wrote for SME without cringing.

I like reading the occasional Sailor Moon fic, but I've kind of let Billy Joel's 'Famous Last Words' run on me and writing in the theme.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

I asked my friend what A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. stood for. Here's her response:

A Constant Reshuffling Of Nomenclature Yngwie
Malmsteen

or maybe the last bit should be "Your Momma". I dunno. Feel free to make it up, I'll back your play. Wink

Seriously I don't remember. At one point I think we decided that ACRONYM of course, wasn't one (an acronym) but it's founders were really fond
of capitalization...or

something. We quested about for an appropriate set for a good long time but if they bore fruit the noggin holds it no longer.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I seem to recall that the old "Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew!" comics had a shadowy organization called A.C.R.O.S.T.I.C. whose acronym
expansion changed from mention to mention.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

From a post I made during my "spamming rec.arts.anime.misc" days:

"Collection Of Lasting Lunacy Extraplolating Circumstansial Temporary Inventiveness for Very Exuberant Animation Nuts In Many Elements So Interrelatted
Laughter Laconically Invites Neccesary Extreme Silliness Semi-Hourly At Various International Neighbourhoods and Greatly Examining Verbosity Eternally,
Requiring Large Annoyance Solely To Inter Negative Generalizations With Obnoxious Readers of Demented Sililoqouys

or Collective Anime Silliness Having Everlasting Words

-or-

CASHEW"

------------------

Epsilon

There's a Dilbert strip where he's working on something called The TTP Project.

What does TTP stand for? "The TTP Project".

Then there's the supervillan group formed in an episode of Spongebob, "EVIL" -

Every

Villain

Is

Lemons
--YJK, AKA Arnold Kim
---------------------------
Watch my brand new video blogs at my Youtube channel!

"Kanrinin-SAAAN!" - Yusaku Godai

Avatar- Lum Invader, courtesy of this fan made Youtube video

My Anime List:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ArnoldK