Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting a new graphics card
Getting a new graphics card
I'm thinking about getting a new graphics card for my computer, even though I don't play games much. I'm thinking of swapping my X700 for an
HD4670. Any suggestions?

I cannot in good conscience reccomend any ATI card.

Also, the X700 is available in PCI Express or AGP flavors.

for AGP, the best you can get is the GeForce 6200 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130452

for PCI Express, I would be pickled tink with this very attractive GTS 250 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150356

Please note, that is not a 'high end' card, retailing for about USD $150, but it's more powerful than the video card in my machine, and I play City
of Heroes with maximum pretty factor, at 1290x1080. It supports HDCP, which is bullshit (DRM in my video stream is morally offensive) - BUT that means that it
also supports HDMI, which means dead easy integration into a home entertainment or big-screen video output.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

The high-end ATI cards are better than the high-end NVIDIA cards on specs and price, but you get better software compatibility with the Geforce cards.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Nvidia drivers are spawned from an elder evil that would drive chutulu insane. and yet somehow they manage to be worlds better than ATI drivers.

There are loads of things that will just not work with ATI drivers, so if compatability is a concern nvidia is ussualy better. if it is for single purpuse (ie
play DVDs or something) and you know that it will work with ATI use an ATI card, if you are going to play games on it, or otherwise use lots of different
software use a nvida card. AAA titles ussualy work fine on both cards, its the AA and smaller budget titles that tend to run into trouble with ATI cards.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

If you have PCI-Express capability, I scored me a shiny new nVidia 9500GT for $80 after shipping. It plays City of Heroes on max pretty at 1200x1024 (or
thereabouts, I don't remember exactly what res my desktop uses). It also comes in a fan-less flavor, which I like (one less power connection to make, one
less potential thing to stop working).

nVidia also has much better support (both software-wise and warranty) than ATI. And lets not even go into ATIs "universal" drivers, which, uh,
aren't.

(Granted, nVidia has some driver issues too, but nowhere NEAR the amount ATI has.)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I do have PCI express. I wasn't aware of the compatability issues.

Is it a problem if I'm running XP?

Jinx - naw, all you miss out on for XP is DX10.

Personally, I prefer nVidia over ATI, at the kigh end, ATI over nVidia at the mid-end. How much do you want to spend?

Not much. The card I picked is from Tom's Hardware best value list. It's still a lot better than my current old one.

Yeah, that's a decent card considering your range. Personally, I'd see if you can get a Sapphire/Asus Radeon 48xx instead of that 46xx (they're
under $100 here in Canuckia), but that's minor.