Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Think It's Time I Walked Quietly Away from TVTropes

Okay, currently scouring the list.
Feel free to either post here, message me, or email me anything that we might be missing, and I'll be more than happy to trying bringing it back. I'm adding it to my archive, which I'll be updating with whatever I can save.
I don't know how long it will take, but let me know how soon you'll need all this, because it might take awhile.
Update: This. Is. Gonna. Suck.
I decided to start with the hentai anime first (it's the easiest to track down at any rate), and thankfully, a third were simple "pull up source and save" jobs.
Another third has the actual finished product pages intact but the history/source is gone, meaning I'll have to copypasta things to text files then add in TV Tropes wiki code where appropriate to reformat the page layout.
The remaining third I will literally have to examine the history line by line and reproduce what the original page looked like, even then it'll probably be incomplete.
Wish me luck.

O_o;;; Good luck! I seriously don't envy you for that. People, this is what they call a labor of love.

Um, uh, I don't need everything on that page. I just need stuff for cut pages. Also, I can do the formatting for you if necessary.

I can send you a list of pages that I do have, if you give me an email address.

Here's the pages that I know I need, based on me just scouring the cutlist, and crossreferencing the zip and my archive:

YMMV/HogwartsExposed

Anime/MoonlightLady

YMMV/MoonlightLady

Fridge/MoonlightLady

WMG/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons

Trivia/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons

DrinkingGame/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons

Heartwarming/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons

Awesome/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons

Quotes/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons

Main/Intense

Laconic/VictimFallsForRapist

Main/VictimFallsForRapist

Quotes/BadassLolita

Laconic/BadassLolita

WMG/ChocolateMilkmaid

Main/NoticeableNipples

Quotes/KeepAbreastOfThisIndex

Main/KeepAbreastOfThisIndex

YMMV/TalesOfGnosisCollege

HoYay/Chu-Bra
-- ∇×V

My progress report:
YMMV/HogwartsExposed - Got it.

Anime/MoonlightLady - Got it

YMMV/MoonlightLady - Got it

Fridge/MoonlightLady - Got it.

WMG/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons - No source possible to reconstruct

Trivia/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons - No source possible to reconstruct

DrinkingGame/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons - No source possible to reconstruct

Heartwarming/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons - Got it

Awesome/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons - Got it

Quotes/NarutoVeanganceRevelaitons - No source possible to reconstruct

Main/Intense - got it

Laconic/VictimFallsForRapist - Manually reconstructed source only.

Main/VictimFallsForRapist - No source possible to reconstruct

Quotes/BadassLolita - No source possible to reconstruct

Laconic/BadassLolita - Manually reconstructed source only.

WMG/ChocolateMilkmaid - No source possible to reconstruct

Main/NoticeableNipples - got it

Quotes/KeepAbreastOfThisIndex - Manually reconstructed source only.

Main/KeepAbreastOfThisIndex - got it

YMMV/TalesOfGnosisCollege - No source possible to reconstruct.

HoYay/Chu-Bra- No source possible to reconstruct
P.S. - The pages I had to manually reconstruct were rather simple to fix and have already had the appropriate formatting applied.

Badass Lolita was apparently renamed to "Little Miss Badass" sometime in 2009.

Index? That's a possible problem with just going for the source pages - what indices a page is on isn't in there. Not sure there's a good answer to that.

(Are the indices even part of stock pmwiki? I'm not sure.)

-Morgan.

Do you really need the indicies? TVTropes isn't what one would call well-organized; this is a chance to put the pages into some sort of order... or, at least, some sort of groupings.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I seem to find myself unable to post in the forum or look at PMs.

Don't suppose I could ask someone to make a post asking why that is? User name there is "Morganite".

-Morgan.

You're banned for posting in this thread.  At least, I'm similarly banned as of today, and I haven't posted on anything anywhere on the site in the last 5 days.  Congrats on falling into the "if you're not with us" category!
So far as the indices go, they're important for site organization.  Any page that has the [[index] macro will work fine; it's just the pages marked as pagetype:index won't be recorded along with it.  Also, it looks like there's some kind of indexing in the 5 minutes that I played with PmWiki (after a 5 minute install process -- it's seriously easy to work with).  I don't know exactly how it works yet.
Okay, progress report time.  Compressed by namespace, the files take up 415.2 MB, which is on the order of one episode of a 1080p anime.  Not bad at all.  Some of the smaller namespaces were compressed together, while Main was split in seven parts.  Up next: waiting for censored files, and figuring out the logistics of how to distribute this.
@Rpg1: Try to find these pages I mentioned earlier, too:
Main/TonariNoOneesan
Main/AHeatForAllSeasons
Anime/Campus
Main/CoedAffairs
Main/OfficeAffairs
Main/Gibo
-- ∇×V

On it. Off to the Wayback Machine.
BTW, I have most of them already, but I'll check again to make sure.

There is literally no truly justifiable reason I can think of to ban someone from a forum for their actions on another forum.

At this point, I think Fast Eddie and his cronies have proven beyond a shadow why I should never darken the TVTropes doorstep again.

I look forward eagerly to the alternatives that are cropping up. Even if they become fractured and nowhere near the size of the original.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

It's not because Of this thread.

If it was, everyone posting here would've been banned. I've posted here. I logged in, edited a wiki page and added a post masquerading as a relevant comment to a topic in the forum and it worked fine. The other possibility, of course, is that they just don't know I have an account there but considering it's the same handle as mine here (mostly) and the same as anywhere else I am on the internets, that's unlikely.

Of course, if I do get banned after posting this, then we have proof.

EDIT: Might have a reason why they haven't caught me yet if they are..... I just got a PM welcoming me to the boards triggered by a first post. Also, is it just me or does the forum software leave quite a bit to be desired?

My progress report:
Main/TonariNoOneesan: got it.
Main/AHeatForAllSeasons: got it.
Anime/Campus: got it.
Main/CoedAffairs: got it.
Main/OfficeAffairs: got it.
Main/Gibo: Manually reconstructed source only

Personally, I think a great way to make it easier to find tropes would be to add tags to them. For example, you're looking for something to fit a preteen girl that has the ability to kick insane amounts of ass, you would start with the tag 'girl' and maybe add 'martial arts', 'guns' and 'bad ass'. Maybe include an and/or feature. And presto! A list of tropes that fit the listed tags, one of which would be Bad Ass Lolita, aka Little Miss Bad Ass.

I freaking hate the Google search option, because it searches the entire site for anything that even remotely resembles what your searched for. With a tag system at the very least we can narrow it down to just the tropes.

Snrk. Maybe that could be the name of the new site: Just The Tropes, Sir.

The page on the book Fifty Shades of Grey and its YMMV are gone.
Or, they would be, if I hadn't snagged a copy of both awhile back.
I have to give props to whomever decided to delete this then salt the earth to make sure, since the source and history of this are just gone, and Google Cache nor the Wayback Machine have a copy.
Haven't read it, but after reading the page, it's basically about a bad Twilight ripoff, and if anyone wants a copy of either, I wouldn't mind posting it here if Bob doesn't object.
@vorticity
Are you ready to get what I've saved so far? If so, I sent you my contact info via private message.

I'd rather you exchanged copies by private message or email, Rpg1.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

@Bob
I understand and will comply.

I am very interested in this. I have been alternating between annoyance and outrage with the poisoning of the well over at TVTropes - I think it's a fantastic site that has been pulled down by some horribly misguided decisions. When I discovered that the 'Mind Rape' page had vanished, I very nearly purchased a hosting deal with the intent to set up an unfiltered mirror of the site. Once I saw the note that that page was temporarily blocked only, I calmed down, but would still be very interested in the preservation of the TVTropes site as it once was.
What can I do to help? It sounds like you have accumulated most of the old data, and you've thought of all the ways I would've tried to recover it in any case.

Welcome to the forums, Nylor. I'm personally staying uninvolved with the mirror project, so I can't really answer your question. But I'm sure one of the principals behind it will be happy to offer suggestions.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

From the looks of things, we'll bring back the old pages, but under a system that allows for better organization of the tropes. There's also been discussion about what wiki-domain to host the site on, but if you have the means to, and are willing to purchase a domain to host the new tropes site on, then I don't think anyone here is gonna cry over it. Wink

Well, I sent an email to Fast Eddie (or at least an email address on tvtropes.org that I would expect to be his, seeing as it contains the words "fast" and "eddie" in that order) on Wednesday, politely asking what was going on. I'm not sure if this is long enough to conclude that it was misplaced or ignored, or not.

I don't have anything major to add to any currently ongoing discussions, but it's still kind of troublesome.

-Morgan.

@nylor

There's a bunch of content organization that we still need to do. We have pretty much all of the data we need, both current and deleted, so there's not really much to do until the torrent comes out. And when it does come out, we'll need you to seed like crazy to help out. Keep watching this space, it will be pretty soon!

As far as actually hosting a mirror... no one is that far down in the planning phase yet. We're all concentrating on the first step, which is liberating the data.

Anyway, it's good to see another refugee here.
Edit: @Morganni: If all else fails, there's always his Wikipedia User Talk.  I wouldn't mind knowing what was going on, either.
-- ∇×V

@nylor
Vorticity pretty much said everything I was going to say, so I'll just say this:
We were annoyed and outraged at what happened to TV Tropes ourselves, and to paraphrase Samuel Johnson:
"It is within every man's power to accomplish the feat of doing nothing."
Well, we decided that what was happening at TVT required more than that, and we hope you will appreciate the results.
@morganni: You have no idea how truly sorry I am you got caught in the crossfire. I'll take my imposed exile and go quietly (despite the fact the reasons for my disgrace were greatly distorted and in some parts outright lies), but you did nothing more than meet us here and share some mutual misgivings and offer your friendship during this time, and I'm sorry parties beyond our control decided you were as guilty as they considered us.
That said, I wouldn't bother trying to appeal this. All three of us has been cast out, preferably with our tails between our legs, and I can take a hint, so I advise you not even bother trying to appeal this. TV Tropes wants a community of absolute loyalists and will tolerate not the slightest amount of even the most benign civil discontent, so IMO, trying to appeal this is a lost cause.
Besides, I sent an email myself, also politely worded, but if you read here, they've already set their decisions in stone:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwik...j9224ynzg30&page=540
http://tvtropes.org/pmwik...j9224ynzg30&page=541
On a final note, I have some more to say, but I'll send that to you in a private message.
Regardless, I am truly sorry you were caught in the crossfire.

Yeah, does sound like, while it is a legitimate gripe about the bandwidth... WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN THEY REFUSE TO PROVIDE THE FILES BASED ON THE REQUEST THAT IT INCLUDE THE DELETED CONTENT?

But I also have to wonder how many people are being denied merely on the idea "they probably just want to resurrect the squick elsewhere", even if they don't state it as the intended purpose?
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Yeah, does sound like, while it is a legitimate gripe about the bandwidth... WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN THEY REFUSE TO PROVIDE THE FILES BASED ON THE REQUEST THAT IT INCLUDE THE DELETED CONTENT?

But I also have to wonder how many people are being denied merely on the idea "they probably just want to resurrect the squick elsewhere", even if they don't state it as the intended purpose?
--

@JFerio
As for the bandwidth part, they lied, and I can prove it.
A DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack involves multiple terminals bombarding a web server with requests for service to the point the server stalls from the strain, effectively paralyzing the web site.
What vorticity did was use a single machine to copy (web site copy software is legal) to contents of the TVT server, and a single machine simply cannot send enough requests for information (unless it was unthrottled, which it wasn't) to paralyze website function.
You want further proof? I surfed TVT every day that bot was running. There were no web site difficulties, reports of performance issues, and I was able to access every single part of the site, from tropes and works pages to the forums, and there were no technical abnormalities regarding their server function either noticed by me or them.
In fact, I'm impressed Fighteer had the gall to accuse us of committing a "DDoS" like attack, especially because he's a computer programmer IRL. He should know exactly what a DDoS attack is, and by blatantly lying, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for being exiled from that nest of vipers, who I have reason to believe were begging for an excuse to get rid of us without looking bad anyway, they just needed a pretext to use so they wouldn't look like the villains.
In fact, here's the proof they lied:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDoS#Distributed_attack
In fact, the only thing that makes me angry is that Morganni was caught in the crossfire when she's innocent of having ANYTHING to do with what vorticity did, which was completely legal by both internet copyright law and the Creative Commons License.
Finally, I never used a bot. I just copied stuff from the Internet Wayback Machine and Google Cache, which is completely legal as well.