Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That didn't quite go as expected....
That didn't quite go as expected....
I've recently acquired an interesting iPod dock. Well, it's interesting if you look at from the angle of it's a radio with a bolted on iPod dock.
With a proviso that the radio part only picks up FM. Oh and that odd little technical exercise called Terrestrial Digital Radio, or DAB for the continental set
amongst us.

Now while the land of roaming kangaroos & many dangerous critters (some called 'sheep') has been experimenting with it for awhile, it's only
been freed from the labs & the Techies and placed into the hand of the public, in the past month. Just with the small twist of using the 'new'
version: DAB+ which not many places are using yet.

As such all the currently available DAB+ receivers are mantle to hi-fi component sized bits of gear. Alarm clock/radios are on the TBA/TBD lists.

Which leads back to the iPod. I'm using that as the alarm clock source. Something it does quite well, provided I can come up with an appropriate morning
wake-up playlist. For I don't think some of the songs in my collection are anywhere near being a good choice. Does "1812 Overture",
"Telephone! RingRingRing", "Dragostea Din Tei" "Top Gear Driving Songs" or the YTMND soundtracks provide some indication of the
amount of audio chaos present in my iPod. And yes the 'Best of Queen' and "Magic Carpet Ride" are in there too.

So, anyone got a suggestion on a wake-up playlist for me?

--Rod.H (who has provided an early Drunkard's Walk iMix to iTMS)

Being a traditionalist, I'd start with http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/C0 ... vielle.mp3]this at full volume...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well less interested in the technical details of getting something to work, but more relevant details like exactly what kind of wakeup playlist did you have in
mind? Did you want the thing to wake you up in the morning? Are you a heavy sleeper? Does loud music in the morning make you grumpy for the rest of the day?

I don't bother with music to wake up to, myself. Granted, that's mainly because I have a clock-static machine as opposed to an actual radio... But a
buzzer or beep'll do just fine for me.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I once set up a former roommate's computer to play a clip of Gilbert Gottfried from the USA Up All Night show as his 'alarm' sound.

He was thoroughly awake, even he had to admit that.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

How about "I'd Start a Revolution If I Could Get Up in the Morning" by Aimee Allen?

Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life"?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

"My Omelet" from Dragon Half?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm more after songs that won't freak the mundanes, nor cause a pitchfork & torches event.

"Bring Me To Life" and "My Omelet" are in the mix all ready.

I am a heavy sleeper (when my cycle requires 10 hours of sleep) and while I'd like it to wake me up in the morning, there are times where I just need it to
be background tunes ie when I've done a night shift.

Mind you if I really need to wake up at a certain time, a beeping alarm can do the trick. Provided I don't autonomously turn it off. Hmm, perhaps I should
check if that MIT student's project Clocky has hit the market yet.

--Rod.H

In RE: My Omelet... I think that's (mostly) Beethoven's 7th Symphony, and I THINK the second Movement. I remember I woke up from a mostly sound sleep
because of the Lolwut of hearing it when I used to use a Classical Station as a "drone me to sleep" aid at one time.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I can't really recommend any good 'wake up' music myself, but I can say I did enjoy hearing Jerry Garcia & David Grisman's 'Not For
Kids Only' (album, not just song) in the morning as a kid. It's (Acoustic) Guitar and Mandolin music, not really all to loud or fast, but I like it a
lot.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I probably should've done this earlier http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... vMqS5hKjFw that link contains everything my itunes/ipod has to play with musically. Any informational oddness present can be blamed on whoever submitted data to CDDB and that thing WMP9-11 uses for it's track info (I used WMP to maintain me collection back in the days of winamp).
It took me awhile to remember how to make itune output a textfile and then make it reasonably readable. Oh and not to mention connection friendly. The default produced a 10 MB XML file, the other setting outputed a 3 meg textfile. Some textual massaging got it down to a Googledocs approved

"Chihuahua", or maybe "You Know My Name?" I know the guitar in that second song always shocks me into alertness.

Edit: Wow, that's a crazy list of music. Reminds me of my Winamp playlist. It is hard to read though, what with the artist/album name fields being so
small.

I've been writing a bit.

Bluemage Wrote:"Chihuahua", or maybe "You Know My Name?"  I know the guitar in that second song always shocks me into alertness.
Edit:  Wow, that's a crazy list of music.  Reminds me of my Winamp playlist.  It is hard to read though, what with the artist/album name fields being so small.

Ayep, there is some musical insanity there. But then there's also musical mainstream in there too, something which generated much jibes when I was changing the computers at the offices of a certain major radio stations. Mainly in the lines of if their library server went boom! they could hook me ipod up with no difference. Presuming they selected the correct playlist, otherwise they'd have "My Omelet" blasting out of worksites across the city.

I think I've improved readability of the file, if not mess around with the GoogleOffice features or just load it in Excel.

--Rod.H

Far, far better. Thanks.

I could be a radio station- with upwards of 18,000 songs in my possession, it'd run for a long time with no repeats. Months, even.

Unfortunately (for listeners), my taste in music is at least as eclectic as yours- most of my mainstream was given to me, and is hardly ever played.

I've been writing a bit.