Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today must be a good day to die...
Today must be a good day to die...
First Farrah Fawcett and now -

Michael
Jackson.

Hard to believe. I couldn't be considered a fan, especially with the insane crap of his the last couple of decades, but he was part of the cultural
background, and I wouldn't have some of Weird Al Yankovic's best
videos without him.

(yes, I know it was mentioned in the Farrah Fawcett thread, but I thought it deserved a thread of it's own.

Forgive me for the inappropriate humor, but I cannot see either as Klingons...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

How about as Apaches?

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Forgive me for the inappropriate humor,
I read this part and the first thing that came to mind was "but will he go with a Thriller
reference?"
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Forgive me for the inappropriate humor, but I cannot see either as Klingons...

Dude - how can it be inappropriate when I'm linking WEIRD AL videos in a death notice?? ^_^

Don't know whether this is inappropriate, but I just started http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/5849/]this tread in "The Game..."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I'm happy about it. As far as I can tell, the man who did Thriller, the King of Pop, died over a decade ago.
What was left behind just... kept going. Now, it's stopped.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote: Bluemage wrote:

I'm happy about it. As far as I can tell, the man who did Thriller, the King of Pop, died over a decade ago.

Ahhh... Rather like In Utena... *nods*

What we remember of Jackson from the past and through the 1980s = Dios.

What we were forced to watch slowly disintegrate the last two decades in the 90s and beyond = Akio.

He's finally returned to Wonderland...

The only question is which one, one where no one would believe he could possibly be a child molester

or one where he'll always be under charges of it reguardless of if he's innocent or not.

One thing I dont get. Lulu and I were watching the coverage on CNN's Headline News over dinner, and they said they'd be performing an autopsy today.
Reason being, he'd died without an actual doctor in attendence.

But he died at bloody UCLA Westwood. A fricking TEACHING HOSPITAL. How could there not be a Doctor in attendance?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Quote: Star Ranger4 wrote:

One thing I dont get. Lulu and I were watching the coverage on CNN's Headline News over dinner, and they said they'd be performing an autopsy today.
Reason being, he'd died without an actual doctor in attendence.

But he died at bloody UCLA Westwood. A fricking TEACHING HOSPITAL. How could there not be a Doctor in attendance?
Maybe he died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital? IIRC, EMTs cannot actually declare you dead. Only an actual doctor can pronounce death.
Thus, if you die before reaching a doctor, you are only declared dead after the doctor sees the body.

I believe that this is the reason for the urban legend about Disney scheming to make certain that nobody is declared dead within their amusement park. There is
no scheming involved, it is simply that the paramedics are legally unable to make the declaration of death.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

That is indeed the case, at least in California. EMTs cannot declare someone dead -- they are "unconscious" until they get to a hospital and a doctor sees them. (Joss Whedon mentioned this in his commentary for the Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode "The Body" at the moment that the EMTs declare Joyce dead.)
Regardless of the legal requirements, it is apparently a widespread practice that a person hasn't officially died until a doctor "calls it".  A case in point:  my father died at 11:35ish PM on 5 May -- but his "legal" date and time of death is 1:30ish AM on 6 May, because that's when the doctor got to the house and played Captain Obvious.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Logan Darklighter wrote:

Quote: Bluemage wrote:

Ahhh... Rather like In Utena... *nods*

What we remember of Jackson from the past and through the 1980s = Dios.

What we were forced to watch slowly disintegrate the last two decades in the 90s and beyond = Akio.

I am reminded of a game I like to call Word Disassociation. One player gives a random word. The other then produces a word that has some
relation (through as many degrees of separation as can be managed in a reasonable number of seconds) to the original. This repeats until the goal- getting
somebody to ask some variation of "how did you get that?"- is reached.

My friends at college could only manage first- or second-order disassociation. I generally used 5-7 degrees of separation.

I get the feeling that you would be an entertaining opponent.

I've been writing a bit.

Bluemage, do you want me to start a Questions Tennis thread?
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Is that appropriate here?

--Sam

"Third base!"

Why wouldn't it be?
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Are you quite aware of which forum you're posting in?

--Sam

"Don't you discriminate at all?!"

Is Questions Tennis anything like "Questions Only" from Whose Line Is It Anyway?

I've been writing a bit.

Non-sequitur foul! Point to me.

--Sam

"Well let's go beat up that hedge then."

Mornington Crescent! Game, set, and match.

I've been writing a bit.

Why do you guys always obsess about who's winning?
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Isn't that what it's all about?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

No, that's the Hokey-Pokey.
-- Bob
---------