Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boardgaming goodness
Boardgaming goodness
So... I'm sure everyone knows that I'm an avid wargamer. I'd like to get something going with folks here... there are plenty of multiplayer games
out there, or two-player games that a group can play rounds of. There are various clients for online play (such as Cyberboard and Vassal), or if we each have
a copy we can just post moves.

Or we can do one where there is no real board in the first place, like Harpoon, which is all just hand-drawn maps anyway. Smile Could do, say, a Red October-style
subhunt....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

It's been a while... I guess it sort of depends on what game; I've lost all my game rules pretty much
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I'd be up for a game. I have ~0 board games, and know precious few wargames, but if I can get it online, I'll play.

On a similar note, anybody here play GalCiv, Space Empires, Civ, Magic, Stars!, or any of the Paradox games?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

CyberBoard and Vassal are both fairly easy to set up if you're at all tech-savvy.

That given, what are folks' preferences for genre and style?

Two-player? 4-5 player?

Abstract, sci-fi, historical? If historical, any particular era?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I occasionally play the Yu-Gi-OH CCG with my nieces and nephews, And I have Civ3 and AoE 1 and 2, but dont really play on line competition with them...

NO QUARTER!!!

I'm not all to much into the new RTS games (Stopped around AoE 2). If you've got some online board game stuff, I can try and hook up stuff to get it to
work if you need another player. I'm open to just about any game you'd want to play, so long as it doesn't take LSD to begin to understand it.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I don't do RTS's. My preference is for turn-based hex-and-counter gaming.

I'm not talking about computer games at all, except that an online client is used to facilitate play.

Think somewhere between chess or checkers and, say, Battletech, or Starfleet Battles.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

A few sample games that are available in Vassal, the client that allows for live online play...

Advanced Civilization (the classic Avalon Hill boardgame that inspired the computer games)
Bismark (double-blind two-player hunt across the North Atlantic)
Carcassone (tile-placing abstract strategy game)
Federation & Empire (massive, staggeringly HUGE, grand strategic game of Star Trek AU-verse galactic conquest)
Monsterpocalypse (collectible miniatures game of Kaiju city-smashing fun)
Star Wars miniatures
D&D Miniatures skirmish game
OGRE (you have an army. they have a bolo. even fight?)
Zombies!!! (fast-paced zombie survival game)

And, well, A whole thraggling lot more....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I won't be joining you, but might I suggest Colossus, the online version of
Avalon Hill's classic Titan? Smile

--Sam

"Oh, there's crime here. I can smell it."

Titan is good, and Zombies is fun, too. Any others of note?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

"Here I Stand" is a good multiplayer wargame covering the Protestant Reformation.

"The Napoleonic Wars" (also by GMT) covers the eponymous period in similar fashion.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Quote: Bluemage wrote:

I'd be up for a game. I have ~0 board games, and know precious few wargames, but if I can get it online, I'll play.

On a similar note, anybody here play GalCiv, Space Empires, Civ, Magic, Stars!, or any of the Paradox games?
Oddly enough, I was just annihilated in a solo Stars! game a couple days ago. My mutant Spudling race (a JoAT build) couldn't out-populate
the Rabbitoids and were nibbled to death by the furry bastards.

So, uh, yes. Smile

That said, and more on topic, I don't have any board games, but depending on the game requirements I might be up for something. Live is hard to do, but a
PBEM or something turn-based like that I could handle.

Er, assuming it can be played for free. I've got enough addictions to shell out for as-is Big Grin.

(Oh, and: ZOMBIES! The title alone makes me want to try it. Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Spud, everything that I'm planning on can be played for free.

If the rules aren't available online, I will dig them up and either make them available, or teach them.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

mmm, I'll dig some PBEM or similar. bonus points if it doesn't require a windows-only client, so I can play it at the girl's house.

Also, scope http://www.kongregate.com/games/CasualC ... space-game
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Dammit, Wire.

You're a PUSHER. I swear. It's CRACK.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Quote: Sofaspud wrote:

Er, assuming it can be played for free. I've got enough addictions to shell out for as-is Big Grin.
If you want a free online turn based and browser based game, try Steve Jackson's UltraCorps (http://ultracorps.sjgames.com/). It is still in the free beta test stage and the most recent mega game just ended last
week, so there'll likely be a bit of time to learn the system in Solo and mini games before the start of the next big game (and you must complete a single
Solo game before competing in a big game). Just don't get discouraged if you're in a big game and get wiped out, the majority of players end the big
games with 1 or 0 worlds as the aggressive players devour neighboring empires in their own quests for expansion.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

So, any official decisions made whilst I was away on vacation?

NO QUARTER!!!

Nope. I'm still getting a feel for what people would like to play.

One that's worked well is Here I Stand. Cyberboard gamebox and rules are a free download, I've played it before so I can answer questions, it's got room for 5 or so players, and it plays well by e-mail.

Links:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17392
http://www.gmtgames.com/nnhis/main.html
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Quote: ECSNorway wrote:

So... I'm sure everyone knows that I'm an avid wargamer. I'd like to get something going with folks here... there are plenty of multiplayer games
out there, or two-player games that a group can play rounds of. There are various clients for online play (such as Cyberboard and Vassal), or if we each have
a copy we can just post moves.

Or we can do one where there is no real board in the first place, like Harpoon, which is all just hand-drawn maps anyway. Smile Could do, say, a Red
October-style subhunt....

BTW Norway, are you a mniatures player also?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote: ordnance11 wrote:

Quote: ECSNorway wrote:

So... I'm sure everyone knows that I'm an avid wargamer. I'd like to get something going with folks here... there are plenty of multiplayer
games out there, or two-player games that a group can play rounds of. There are various clients for online play (such as Cyberboard and Vassal), or if we
each have a copy we can just post moves.

Or we can do one where there is no real board in the first place, like Harpoon, which is all just hand-drawn maps anyway. Smile Could do, say, a Red
October-style subhunt....

BTW Norway, are you a mniatures player also?

Yes, I am, for values that do not include Games Orkshop products.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.