Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my 15 minutes!
my 15 minutes!
I got modded +5 informative on Slashdot!

http://games.slashdot.org...For-US-Launch?art_pos=14

"Given the presence of a rootkit that makes SecuRom look like unicorn dander and faery farts, I'll pass, thanks."

that's me!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

I chuckle that a good number of the other posts are "I love EVE Online with a passion, but a 5 year old could design a more intuitive GUI."
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Aion's got some fairly nice ideas.. but the game after around level 25 is pretty much Welcome To Korea. And, of course, the Punkbuster analog strapped onto
it is the kind of thing that gives me more gray hairs.

While people will say 'Oh, you can just stay out of the Abyss until max level if you don't want PvP.' the reality is more like this:

If you don't go to the Abyss you will grind much, much, much longer. Abyss mobs have less HP, give more XP and cash, give Abyss Points for high end stuff
and drop endgame crafting materials. The quests start to peter out around 25 or so, leaving you with nothing but grind grind grind to look forward to.

Between the rootkit and the grindfest? No thanks. Really. No thanks.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

This is beginning to sound a lot like RF Online from a few years ago. Wonderful background concept. Beautiful art**. creative looking creature and mecha designs, Beautiful soundtrack....

CRAPPY gameplay, Grindfest du jour, "what the hell I can't jump?", stiff character animation, "all that pretty water and they path it so you
can't ever get to it?", and yes, welcome to Korea...

Damn shame, really. I'd love to get some of the raw talent involved in some of these studios working on a REAL game.

(** Hell, high end armor and costume design was by MASAMUNE SHIROW,
for ghod's sake!!!!)

Supposedly Blade and Soul is being done by a pack of up and comers at NC Soft, with gameplay inspired by fighting games and Wuxia movies (and Wuxia-like travel
from place to place). But if it is intended to come out for the US market I have no idea.

Ain't gonna install a damn thing on my computer with this level of rootkit-like shenanigans going, though.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

Yeah, I'm giving Aion a miss...pretty much entirely due to this. I've had stuff from these Korean games on my old systems, but I am not letting them near my precious shiny current machine.

And let's be clear, I would have tried the game.

I do wonder how badly their sales will be affected though. Probably some - a lot of MMO players care about stuff like this.

But would most casual gamers?
-- Acyl