Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from Surf City...
Greetings from Surf City...
...where there are two girls for every boy.

Allegedly. I haven't noticed any gender disparity here, but then again, I've spent most of my time sitting on a beachfront porch reading --
Edding's ''Belgariad'', for everyone who encouraged me to do so several weeks ago, right after Eddings died. Yes, it's as good as you
said. Thank you.

Anyway, this is my middle-of-the-week clear-out-the-email-inbox-and-check-the-forums session. So far, so good -- it doesn't look like there's an
impending meltdown anywhere, so carry on, have fun, and I'll be back on my usual schedule in four days.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Surf City? You're not in Surf City. If you were, I'd be able to walk up and say hi. Smile

Santa Cruz: where three Hawaiian princes introduced
surfing to America in 1885. Where Jack O'Neill founded his surf shop. Accept no substitutes.

--Sam

"An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

Hey EML? Where do you live exactly? I lived out in Santa Cruz in the early 90s and I know the area reasonably well.

Technically in the unincorporated area of the county, just outside Capitola (a couple blocks behind the Capitola Mall). But downtown Santa Cruz proper is only
fifteen minutes' bus ride away.

--Sam

"Surf's up, space ponies -- I'M MAKIN' GRAVY WITHOUT THE LUMPS!!!!!"

Unincorporated and a couple of blocks behind Capitola Mall? I thought that was all either Capitola or Santa Cruz? You saying there's some residential
blocks in there that aren't claimed by either city?

There's actually quite a bit of space between the two.

The tricky part is, because it's Santa Cruz County, the address of any unincorporated land looks like it's in the city.

The Capitola city border happens to run right down the middle of the street I'm on. Smile

--Sam

"One of these days, milkshake -- BOOM!"

Huh! News to me, but then I only lived directly in that area for about 6 months. (353 Lee St in Santa Cruz if you're curious)

I just checked out Google earth out of curiosity. And unless the pictures are too far behind reality, looks like many of my favorite spots in the area
haven't changed. Boardwalk and the arcade are still there. Theater on Pacific is still there. (Watched Terminator II Judgment day there.)

There was a used bookstore that I used to like a lot. Logos, I think it was. Their old place got destroyed in the Loma Priata earthquake and they were working
out of an old warehouse near some railroad tracks when I was there. I know they're no longer there and moved into some fancy new building. But I
wouldn't know where to look for it.

Google Earth is fantastic. There's lots of pics linked in. And I was having a ball looking at pics of the seashore and all. That was really my favorite
aspect of the place - I used to go down to the cliffs and just listen to the surf roll in. Even later when I moved to San Jose, I used to come back
occasionally.