Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part III
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part III
New thread starts here.
It's a good point that the TVT roleplayers won't be bothering to update the relevant pages here, but yes, if someone wants to post analyses instead of archives, I'd certainly welcome them.  Maybe we should put a message-of-the-day to that effect on the front page?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Er, I'm no roleplayer either, but why delete them? No Such Thing As Notibility and that stuff.

They're being deleted without prejudice (meaning they can be recreated) because most of them are more archives/documentation of campaigns than analysis thereof. And some are simply huge. And, as noted in the prior thread, their creators/maintainers at TVT don't have the time or inclination to take on another site to keep updated, especially one that's starting off 18 months out of date. If anyone wants to come around to do up new versions, they're welcome to.
-- Bob
---------

Just signing into the new thread. Smile

I just got a heads up in a private message -- Feddie's adding new (more?) ads to TVT. My source gave me a link to a thread on the TVT forums about it, but even though the first post was less than 24 hours ago as I type this, it's already been nuked -- who knows why, possibly someone expressed dissatisfaction with Utopia and FEddie had to stalinize it out of existence. Fortunately, those troublemakers at the Wayback Machine managed to capture http://web.archive.org/web/20140313164 ... 500&page=1]the first page of the thread from about 4:45 PM EDT yesterday afternoon.
-- Bob
---------

Wait...

There's advertising on TvTropes?

I never noticed.

;P

Dartz Wrote:Wait...

There's advertising on TvTropes?

I never noticed.

;P

I gotta say, I love ad-blockers as well! ;P

Oh, and as to the thread on TVT, I noticed that someone mentioned that the ads are likely to cause even more loading trouble on (GASP!) dial-up! Perhaps that is what led to the thread getting memory-holed? If that's what happened, then I'm glad that I left when I did, but not glad that I had to leave at all. Sad

Tennie Wrote:Oh, and as to the thread on TVT, I noticed that someone mentioned that the ads are likely to cause even more loading trouble on (GASP!) dial-up!
My mother does the newsletter for her local chapter of the D.A.R., and last week got a complaint from someone who got multiple copies of the 1.5 MB PDF.  This woman had to call her ISP to delete the extra copies, so that she could access her email on dial-up.  The kicker: this Daughter is in charge of the chapter's website.
Checking into the new thread myself.  We've been having discussion in this wiki forum thread about how to distinguish the site from TV Tropes, and I ended up going into one of my longer analysis bits.  The TL;DR version is:
We have 2 subpages for plotWe have 1 subpage for charactersWe have 2 subpages for mediumWe have 1 subpage for theme and symbolismWe have 10 subpages for audience reactionsWe have 0 subpages for setting
Since we're ostensibly a website about writing, I think a subpage about the setting/world/milieu is probably a good idea.  Anyone got some ideas of what we could do with it, or what we should call it?
-- ∇×V

"Where are we again?"

"Funny how England looks nothing like southern California...."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:"Where are we again?"

"Funny how England looks nothing like southern California...."
I think we took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.
-- ∇×V

If it's Tuesday, this must be ... oh, wait, that's the most offensive word in the universe....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

"We're 106 miles from Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of smokes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:vorticity wrote:
Since we're ostensibly a website about writing, I think a subpage about the setting/world/milieu is probably a good idea.  Anyone got some ideas of what we could do with it, or what we should call it?
Well, about fifteen years ago I edited an In Nomine book on this very topic.  Why not steal its title?  You Are Here.

-- Bob
---------

I noticed on the Wikiapiary page for ATT that we passed the 100 members mark a couple of days ago or so. Smile

On another note, how goes our attempts to spread the word about ATT?  I'd recommend that we set up threads on other forums that we're members of that ought to be dedicated to explaining our existence and what we plan to do, and allow for questions to be asked about various isues that either have come up or could potentially come up.  I'd think that it would be a good idea, but what about you guys?

We seem to be slowly picking up users, somehow. Something Awful is mocking us, so that's helping out publicity-wise. I am really, really close to finishing the work pages rename, which should stabilize the wiki greatly.

I'm thinking of contacting the Wikimedia Foundation, to see if we can get some support from there. After all, there are a bunch of pages that have wikipedia content on them on TV Tropes. And, given their current license, the content is being illegally distributed from TV Tropes. We have it too, but of course we share the same license.

Other than that, I really don't know where to ask. If people do start threads in other forums, I'm easily summoned. Just post here, or send me an email, or ping me in IRC.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:Something Awful is mocking us

If you don't mind me asking, are we ever going to at least attempt to converse with them directly?  Because I'd recommend that we do, in the hopes of getting a good conversation started.  And if not, then for what reason(s)?

Tennie Wrote:And if not, then for what reason(s)?

Because it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy?

-Morgan.

Because it's not worth the effort, and any publicity is good publicity?
-- Bob
---------

Because SA mocks everything, even the things it likes?  Because if you try to stop that, you get mocked harder, and not in a good way?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Because haters gonna hate?
-- ∇×V

Yeah, SA is not worth the trouble of attempting to engage in a dialogue, at least not on their turf. I left a blog post on ATT politely extending an invitation to discuss their views with us, but I refuse to get worked up over their mockery.

Besides, it's the same regurgitated crap they spew about TV Tropes (they think all tropers are rapists and pedophiles and troping is something only horrible nerds do)

Frankly, I find it amusing they cherry pick what they want to support their worst preconceptions and then try to make us sound WORSE THAN HITLER (no joke, they actually pulled the Hitler Card in their attempt to mock us, which is a good sign they don't really have any decent arguments worth listening to nor should we invest emotional energy in caring about it).

Anyway, I have some great news: I found a better way to list recap pages than the current methods we have at our disposal, and it can be done very easily with this extension:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SubPageList3

All I had to do was gin up a very simple template, and it places an extremely easy to access list of all subpages of a current page. It still needs a little experimentation, but it looks like it should work very well for our needs.

I did try it's somewhat more modern cousin, but the below extension I was unable to get working:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SubPageList

From what I understand, the one I have gotten working is easier to use and more widely adopted by the WMF, so I'm considering asking the Orain guys to install it.

GethN7 Wrote:Yeah, SA is not worth the trouble of attempting to engage in a dialogue, at least not on their turf. I left a blog post on ATT politely extending an invitation to discuss their views with us, but I refuse to get worked up over their mockery.

Besides, it's the same regurgitated crap they spew about TV Tropes (they think all tropers are rapists and pedophiles and troping is something only horrible nerds do)

Frankly, I find it amusing they cherry pick what they want to support their worst preconceptions and then try to make us sound WORSE THAN HITLER (no joke, they actually pulled the Hitler Card in their attempt to mock us, which is a good sign they don't really have any decent arguments worth listening to nor should we invest emotional energy in caring about it).

Well, the reason that I asked was because I'd seen how well you'd handled the crowd over on the Project A.F.T.E.R. forums, which gave me some kind of hope that we might be able to do something similar with SA.  But after hearing about their invocation of Godwin's Law (was it a deliberate move to show that they really couldn't give a crap about any "good" things that we could do?), that hope has crumbled away.  OTOH, even SA's not necessarily a hive-mind (though I wouldn't be surprised if there are some there who wish it was); perhaps we'd still might end up with ATT members who are also Goons.  Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love, whatevers gonna whatever.  Besides, I'm hopeful that things will work out to some extent in the end anyway (knock on wood).

GethN7 Wrote:Anyway, I have some great news:

Good to know!  Of course, I'm not sure how this'll all work out, but I'll probably wait until I actually witness it in action as opposed to merely reading about it.

Hey guys,

whats up with your Futurama article? The text starts with "Good news, everyone! We're going to Describe Topic Here Futurama here!"

I checked the tvtropes article, but they have a different text now.

There are some things that the bots weren't able to fix (or messed up during import) and the current batch of meatbags in use don't work as fast. I think it's a safe bet that you can hop in and edit out those errors where you come across them.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

If you want to take on the task of fixing it, just start with a copy of the page from archive.org from June 2012 or earlier.
-- Bob
---------