Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ah, geeze.... This again?!
Ah, geeze.... This again?!
So after I got up and showered this morning, I turned on the computer to check the weather while I shaved.

And my monitor insisted it wasn't connected to anything, so it had nothing to show me. Blinking blue power light, no messages, no glow of a
"black" screen, nothing.

I didn't have the time to troubleshoot it this morning, so I'll have to jump on it when I get home tonight. Dunno what I'll learn, but just in
case, be prepared to see my Net access somewhat restricted for a few days at least.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Okay, after-work update.

There was, in fact, the glow of a "black" screen. I walked away from it long enough that the built-in Samsung combination screensaver/error display
kicked in, telling me to check the digital signal cable.

Seeing that, I connected the analog cable that I've had since I got the monitor, disconnected the digital cable, changed the input setting on the monitor,
and lo and behold I get a slightly distorted but still usable image.

So... either bad cable or the DSP card went out again, this time with no warning.

Next step is to buy a new digital video cable and see what happens.

After that... if the cable doesn't work, maybe I'll just skip the customer service bit and buy a new monitor.
-- Bob
---------

'Tis the season for computer problems.

My ADSL modem / wifi router, not even two years old, decided that the wired connections weren't necessary any more. That made it difficult to use the NAS,
which doesn't have wifi. So, over the weekend I bought a new router. While configuring the security on the new one, I nerfed its capability to connect to
the Internet...

Since I'm posting, obviously, the Internet is back up again. I'm just going to have to make sure I don't change anything on the router
now...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

oh god knock on wood knock on wood knock on wood. I have to buy TIRES, I have to buy a 4 WHEELER, I can't afford a PC problem right now!

*cringes*
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

It's okay, Wire- I think the three of us-who-are-not-you here have had enough bad computer luck to keep your PC safe.

Probably.

I'd watch the less complicated/expensive doodads, though. There might be enough bad luck left for a cellphone death or stereo glitch.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

*Hnrgggg*

If it's worth anything, I am sending good-electronic-karma beams out, for what it's worth.

If it's a ray of hope in anyone's pool, I recently managed to accomplish something that's a bit of a feat: A triple-boot system consisting of
Windows 7, Ubuntu (Jackalope), and Macintosh OS X Leopard (via iDeneb 1.5.6). What's better is that this is all on a Toshiba Satelite A355D series laptop -
one which video drivers have been notoriously hard to get a hold of unless it's bundled with your OS.

The only blemish is that now I gotta figure out how to get working Wifi and LAN drivers into OS X (Toshiba Strikes Back!). Other than that... Each of the three
OSes work beautifully and boot up without a hitch.

I've got enough collective computer problems to spare you the damage, Wire. Though now that I know where the heat is coming from I can apply judicious use
of cold packs to assure proper temperature under load. It's a jury-rigged solution at best, but it'll work for occasional stints.

The Great God Murphy might apply the use of the conservation of bad luck if I do too much though. So don't hold your breath.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

once your laptop is replaced, send it to me! I will provide video of the laptop getting stabbed, shot, then chainsawed and burnt!
And Now This...
At 2 AM this morning, the toilet in our master bathroom cracked, causing a minor flood before Peggy woke me and I shut it off and drained the tank.

Time to visit Lowe's or Home Depot after work...
-- Bob
---------

Remember, Bob: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... -rain.html]it could have been worse. Much worse.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Toilet
Okay...

I have to ask.

Was Peggy 'on the job' when this occured?

If so, I need to know the name of the curry restaurant.

that's some really shitty humor there, rev. I'd go so far as to say that that joke was a real pisser!

She'd probably yell at me for saying this, but yeah, Rev. No curry, though. She's got an auditor coming in today at her job, and her anxiety over it
has been expressing itself in various physical ways -- one of which was keeping her up late last night.

And before anyone asks, no, it didn't break in such a way that she got hurt or even embarrassed. Basically, the back corner of the lower section, under the
tank, somehow broke off, coming completely free. The crack intersected and included the hole through which water from the tank drops into the bowl. Basically,
when she flushed, there was a small drizzle of water underneath the tank -- loud and large enough to be noticeable.
-- Bob
---------