Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IV
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IV
Okay, now that we have stability again, I want to look into those MP3/soundfile player options. Some time today I'll head back to MediaWiki's page of player extensions and try to decide what one would work best for us. After that, well, it depends on the extension, but I'll probably just make a recommendation to Geth and Brent, and possibly post a link to the documentation page here for other folks to review and add their thoughts.

If this is a go, though, I'd like to ask people to suggest pages where the ability to play back a short sound would be suitable to the subject matter. Off the top of my head, the following seem to be good candidates, and should provide a clear idea of what I'm looking for:

The Minsky Pickup

Shave and a HaircutNoblewoman's LaughKabuki SoundsWilhelm ScreamRimshot(that sequence of 12 notes that says "Arabian Nights" or "Snake Charmer" whose name I'm forgetting right now)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I can haz working wiki plz? K thx bai.

The wiki is throwing random 504 errors, and I get
Quote:Internal error

[cc0ab298] 2014-09-29 16:30:31: Fatal exception of type MWException
just trying to look at http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Luminous_Arc_2
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I can haz working wiki plz? K thx bai.

The wiki is throwing random 504 errors, and I get

[cc0ab298] 2014-09-29 16:30:31: Fatal exception of type MWException
just trying to look at http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Luminous_Arc_2

We're good now, just a few minor hiccups happened when John tried to make the HHVM start/stop settings less retarded, and that meant he had to restart Apache PHP again.

Okay, good to hear.
-- Bob
---------

Asking here instead of on the wiki forum so people don't actually expect me to do it...

Occasionally, I'm tempted to go through the list of Wanted pages, click on all the "Troper/" links, and redirect them all to "This Troper". Is this a bad idea?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Asking here instead of on the wiki forum so people don't actually expect me to do it...

Occasionally, I'm tempted to go through the list of Wanted pages, click on all the "Troper/" links, and redirect them all to "This Troper". Is this a bad idea?

I'd prefer to delink them and genericize them instead for two reasons:

1. 99% of these people aren't members and will never be members of ATT.
2. I have little desire and see no point in retaining artifacts of TV Tropes page structure.

Okay, I've finally had a minute and I've found the sound player that Wikipedia uses -- it's a combination of a template and a Lua module, and it's called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Listen]Listen. In addition to being a sound player, it's also (despite its name) a video player as well.

It appears that it's simple enough install, and unless someone says not to, I'll probably do it some time in the next day or two.
-- Bob
---------

Is something wrong with the search? If I enter "serious" in the search box, it pops up the usual 10 or so suggestions for pages starting with "Serious", but if I go ahead and actually do a search, it returns
Quote:There were no results matching the query.

Create the page "Serious" on this wiki!
EDIT:  Oh, and I'm still getting sporadic 504 errors whenever I try to save an edited page; it always takes at least one more try before the page actually saves.
-- Bob
---------

You can save? I'm getting "Internal Error" messages...
--
Rob Kelk

I could save when I posted that. Looks like nothing works now. At all. I'm thinking we should rename the wiki "All The 504s"...
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I could save when I posted that. Looks like nothing works now. At all. I'm thinking we should rename the wiki "All The 504s"...

Two pieces of news:

1. Vorticity needs a break to do IRL stuff, so I'm in command for awhile concerning the server side stuff and major decisions until he's back in active duty.

2. The problem ATM is that HHVM works great, but Lua (what powers our trope/work templates) is determined to engage HHVM in a neverending slapfight that we thought had been resolved, and that's what threw the servers off their axis. The Orain guys were working on it, should hopefully have a fix for it by tomorrow.

I'm getting errors on the Poser and Daz Studio Freebies wiki as well, so it's definitely Orain-wide. Nothing we can do about it for now...

[7369374c] 2014-10-04 02:29:51: Fatal exception of type MWException
--
Rob Kelk

GethN7 Wrote:The problem ATM is that HHVM works great, but Lua (what powers our trope/work templates) is determined to engage HHVM in a neverending slapfight that we thought had been resolved, and that's what threw the servers off their axis. The Orain guys were working on it, should hopefully have a fix for it by tomorrow.

Ideally, somebody ought to just go in there and physically threaten them into playing nice, or else...*Cue sound effect of a shotgun being cocked*

Joy. Sorry for being pissy, Geth. It was a bad day.
-- Bob
---------

Oh, and before I forget -- I tried to do this myself, but couldn't find a or the right page (which might not be available to me) -- can we add MP3 to the acceptable file upload formats? I've installed the module and template for Listen, but I can't upload anything to test them with.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, and before I forget -- I tried to do this myself, but couldn't find a or the right page (which might not be available to me) -- can we add MP3 to the acceptable file upload formats? I've installed the module and template for Listen, but I can't upload anything to test them with.

Bob:

1. Don't worry about having a bad day. I was annoyed crap broke too.

2. We seem to have stopped the slapfight and John fixed some lingering issues.

3. I'll add MP3 and a few other audio formats to the list of requested features.

1. Okay, then...
2. Cool.
3. Cool. And thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I trope-surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious web-page of media tropes galore,
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"Tis not possible," I muttered, "give me back my free trope lore!"
Quoth the server, "504."

----a quick and dirty adaptation.

EDIT: The irony is, it started working after I posted that. Or is that irony?

It's been cycling for days now. About half an hour of 504s, then a longer time (how much longer is variable) where it's usable, then without warning 504s again. It is terribly frustrating.
-- Bob
---------

I wonder: Could the slapfight still be going on?  If so, then something needs to be done about it!

Tennie Wrote:I wonder: Could the slapfight still be going on?  If so, then something needs to be done about it!

Actually, the answer is more mundane: prod8 (our main MW server) needs to be tweaked so most of the scripts start properly, and John has been working on that for awhile, still doing so last I checked.

He's trying to avoid total shutdown so people aren't further screwed out of using the wiki, but performance hiccups are inevitable.

Okay, it's been ten days now that the wiki's been randomly throwing 504 errors, and in the last couple days, the ratio of 504 time to actually functional time has been rising dramatically. I thought this was supposed to be fixed days ago.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Okay, it's been ten days now that the wiki's been randomly throwing 504 errors, and in the last couple days, the ratio of 504 time to actually functional time has been rising dramatically. I thought this was supposed to be fixed days ago.

I'm annoyed myself. I haven't been able to use my shell access to check into the issue because my internet has been horrible the last couple of days, but since that seesm to be clearing up finally, I'm going to look into it ASAP.

Yes, I was just about to post a note about the irony of finally complaining after waiting so long and then having it suddenly start behaving... I jus' can't win fer losin' sometimes.
-- Bob
---------

We spoke too soon -- they're back (or they never left). Just not in blocks as long as before, and not quite as frequently.
-- Bob
---------