Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
Tell me if you can see at least two things with this article that should be screaming "RED ALERT".

---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

...Either one of those red flags I could accept, but both? Is this article really a (very, very cruel) hoax?

--Sam

"This is graveness."

Quote: Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:

...Either one of those red flags I could accept, but both? Is this article really a (very, very cruel) hoax?

--Sam

"This is graveness."
Cruel? What makes you say that? it seems more tongue in cheek if its a hoax Smile

IIRC it's NOT a Hoax, but poor decision making by the suits.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

*Spots two flags right away - cackles madly and attracts everyone's attention in cafe.*

Heh. Good thing I was on base when I saw this. If I was out in a Japanese cafe, I would have been hard-pressed to explain. Wink

It's
very real. They have been talking about it for several years.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

I'm sorry, Dave, but everyone who spotted the "red flags" has been targetted for termination.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Cyberdyne also created the Hand Maid robot series also. What would be worse...being ruled by death machines....or being ruled (softly) by cute robogirls?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Full-sized or Barbie-sized?
_____

Quote: ordnance11 wrote:

Cyberdyne also created the Hand Maid robot series also. What would be worse...being ruled by death machines....or being ruled (softly) by cute robogirls?

Uhm.... is this a trick question, boss?

(Of course in the Sarah Conner Chronicles timeline offshoot, you get to have BOTH in one package!)

Quote: Logan Darklighter wrote:

Quote: ordnance11 wrote:

Uhm.... is this a trick question, boss?

(Of course in the Sarah Conner Chronicles timeline offshoot, you get to have BOTH in one package!)

Either way, the human race goes down the tubes...the male half anyway. On another note..when do we see Marauder type powered armor (Starship
Troopers)...or better yet Gundams!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

So long as Cyberndyne isn't run by a CEO name of 'B. Mason' I think I'll be fine. I could probably get along with the cute robogirl overlords.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Quote: WengFook wrote:

--Sam

"This is graveness."

Cruel? What makes you say that? it seems more tongue in cheek if its a hoax Smile

A hoax would imply that the advertised product didn't actually exist, and a friend of mine who could really use such a thing would have
extremely harsh words to say about that.

--Sam

"One of these days, milkshake -- BOOM!"

The gadget's mission objective matches up fairly well with Roujin Z, doesn't it?
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

An exoskeleton is one thing, a sentient robot bed is another...
_____

Quote: WengFook wrote:

--Sam

"This is graveness."

A hoax would imply that the advertised product didn't actually exist, and a friend of mine who could really use such a thing would have
extremely harsh words to say about that.

--Sam

"One of these days, milkshake -- BOOM!"

Eh... The Japanese tend to be like this when naming things like their companies. They'll jump on anything that's the least bit trendy.
"Cyberdyne was a fictional company that created highly advanced robotics and war machines!? AWESOME! Let's name our company after theirs!"

Kurisu, I think Valles has got the general gist. The robo-bed simply supplied additional things, such as advanced life-support for the elderly as well as
granting them locomotion. The cyberlegs merely provide locomotion.

Really, I can see the need for it here in Japan. Whenever I leave the base, I'm bound to see at least one person using crutches or some sort of wheel
chair because they're either old or disabled, and they always need assistance in getting around. Most people move about the Tokyo-and-vicinity area by
trains - trains that must move quickly and efficiently to keep things going. Trains that usually wind up so packed during rush-hours and holidays (all it
takes is a fireworks display, trust me) that you are literally packed in like sardines - thus no room for a fast-deploying wheel-chair ramp.

What happens instead is that you have to talk to the station personnel about having them bring out a folding ramp. They'll get it and quickly throw it in
place so the wheel-chair bound person quickly amble into the train, then they pull it out just before the doors close. Then they radio ahead to your
destination to inform them that they'll need the ramp at number-x car of number-y train. Sure enough, there'll be a a guy there waiting with another
folding ramp and the process repeats itself.

With something like these cyber legs, though, that whole song and dance can be circumvented entirely. People like the old man I saw on the train in the wheel
chair can walk on and off as they please. Of course, I would hate to see it lead to people getting even lazier. It's bad enough that America has the
highest percentage of obesity in the world - we don't want it to get worse or see Japan running a close second.

Update! Cyberdyne has offered HAL to the folks cleaning up Fukushima.

So now we have to worry about radiation-induced mutations in the code, too...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I am willing to bet somewhere they're field testing an armored battle exo skeleton somewhere..probably SOCCOM since they have the budget.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:I am willing to bet somewhere they're field testing an armored battle exo skeleton somewhere..probably SOCCOM since they have the budget.
They have been for years, apparently the major limitation is finding a power system for it that will actually last as long as they expect it to be needed in combat operations (which means it has to be able to go a couple of days of full-time use between charges, minimum...)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

They have been testing one version that runs of an eva style extension cord to aid in logistics task, eg loading and unloading stuff quickly, and doing stuff like re-arming planes more quickly.

They do have mobile versions but power storage is a big problem, either it's very loud (small engine), doesn't last very long (batteries), or the suit is not very impressive (efficient).
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."