Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Got Fired Today

Good start to the week. Two applications made this morning, plus a recruiter called me and asked for permission to pitch me to a specific firm. Plus I found a
job at my old alma mater, Princeton, that I'm ready to apply to, except it asks for three references up front, and I haven't yet gotten around to
asking my third reference candidate.

So.... Joe, if you read this before you listen to your voice mail at work, would you mind greatly being a reference for me?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Spud -- I just sent the latest version of my resume to sofaspud dot prime at gmail (dot-com, of course). If that's not the right address, let me know. (I
didn't get a bounce from the last one, though.)
I got this one, looks like -- dunno what's up with the first, though. I'll try to get back to you soon on it. I took Friday off for my
anniversary and things blew up (naturally); it's shaping up to be a busy week.

Fun times.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Okay, thanks! Take your time, no need to go out of your way.
-- Bob
---------
Um, Mr. Potential Employer...
...don't you think it's a bit premature to be requiring Windows 7 proficiency a month before it's released?

Kinda reminds me of the ads in the late 90s demanding 7-10 years' experience in web design...
-- Bob
---------

Or the ones in '96-'97 requiring 5+ years' experience administering Windows 95...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Yeah, exactly.

In other news, I just finished my first online aptitude test for a recruiter/employer. Right now I feel like I'd make a very good paperboy.

ETA: On the other hand, I also applied for a job at my old alma mater, Princeton University, a web designer position, which would be very cool if I got it.
-- Bob
---------

*Looks at ridiculous job reqs*

Sounds to me like someone was trying to scalp themselves some of the development staff.

Or HR was just applying a boilerplate advert and didn't stop to think what the numbers meant.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Whoops! Wrong thread! (^_^;Wink

Latest twist in the story -- I got a letter yesterday informing me that I'm being denied unemployment benefits for five weeks because I was fired for
misconduct on the job. Took them almost a week longer to decide this than it took them to deny benefits completely to my coworker. The upside? The five weeks
is up in about two weeks because the whole process took so long.
-- Bob
---------

Damn. Is that going to be a problem when applying for a new job?

The Unemployment decision? No. The actual discharged-for-cause? Depends, on a case-by-case basis. The current economy works in my favor because people will
assume I was let go for recession reasons, but if I get asked -- and I will probably be asked by most prospective employers -- the fact that I was there for 19
years will work in my favor; it shows I wasn't some goof who spends his working hours jerking around. To be sure, it will probably cost me a couple jobs I
might otherwise have gotten. But it doesn't make me unemployable.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Latest twist in the story -- I got a letter yesterday informing me that I'm being denied unemployment benefits for five weeks
I don't think I've heard of something like this before. Does this mean you do get benefits, just not for 5 weeks? Did the clock
start when you applied for benefits, or when they made the decision?

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Actually, all you need to say is 'my contract was terminated'. If they ask for details, THEN say they fired you for 'misuse of company email.'
NEVER say it was for misconduct.

I also *strongly* doubt your employer will ever admit they fired you for that. In most companies these days, the most the company will do will be to confirm
the period of your employment and *maybe* your duties. There's too much risk for libel/slander lawsuits.

That is indeed what the HR director told me they would say if called by a prospective employer. But I will take your advice, Chris.

Jeanne, yes, that is indeed what it means. On October 13, I get to reopen my claim. And it's not that I'm pushed back five weeks, judging by the
language of the letter, but that five weeks of all my possible benefits are denied to me right at the outset. In other words, the benefits clock is ticking
right now, but I'm not getting anything from it for five weeks -- presumably as some kind of "punishment".
-- Bob
---------

Punishment, maybe, but chances are it's more a cost-cutting measure. They (being the gov't) have identified that legally they can save X dollars by
denying benefits to population Y based on criteria Z.

It's the same in corporate world, really. Things that seem grossly unfair or punitive are often just schemes dreamed up by (I'm sorry to say) people
like me, whose job it is to identify money-making and money-saving Areas Of Opportunity and tell management how to capitalize on it.

That said: Bob, I finally had a chance to get around to that resume, and you should have an email from me. If you don't, let me know -- I got a weird
return message and I'm not sure if it was my company firewall complaining about a Word document, your email provider complaining about same, or Factor X.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

If your email correspondence has an X-Factor, Maybelline we're going to see Avon ch of new makeup-based superheros, Burt I wouldn't stake my Cover Girl
on it.

Alternatively, if your email has an X-Factor, it could be a Gambit by some Nightcrawler out to cause Havok, or just a Colossus-al blunder, or an email server
gone Rogue.. .
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Spud, I saw your email in my inbox, but I haven't read it yet. Thanks in advance, regardless of what news it bears.
-- Bob
---------

I have just come across a job listing where the formal title of the position is "Web Applications Ninja".

As I have neither the skills nor the nifty black suit that the position requires, I sadly must pass on this one.
-- Bob
---------

Heh. You should reply with "Coding Superhero" or something equally grand, just to see what kind of response you get. Smile
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

No, Mr. Potential Employer, I do not think you are funny for advertising your job as "Healthy dose of Vitamin C++".
-- Bob
---------

Very good day today -- found four good leads and a lead I wasn't really qualified for at a company that was so cool I sent them a cold resume just because.
All before 10 AM. The time left in the day... goes to Win 7.
-- Bob
---------
I Am Appalled...
...by the horrendous misspellings I'm noting in the various job listings I've been going through. "loosing your job", "financail",
"at there location". Grrrr.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:...by the horrendous misspellings I'm noting in the various job listings I've been going through.  "loosing your job", "financail", "at there location".  Grrrr.
That just gives you incentive to work on your writer's guide, no? (After you look for work.)

Although I suppose we can play with these...
  • "loosing your job" - you won't be bound very tightly to this one, either?
  • "financail" - the boss' inept micromanagement means we have ailing finances?
  • "at there location" - your desk is over there? (points)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Wow. Seven applications and a recruiter with a possible job, all before noon.

It's Miller time. Or lunch time, at least.
-- Bob
---------