Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Blazers 30th Anniversary
Star Blazers 30th Anniversary
30 years ago, exactly now. 3:30 PM Central Time. Labor day. I and many others saw the very first episode of Star Blazers ever broadcast for the very first time.

And in many ways, nothing was ever the same again.

And this... RIGHT HERE...

This, scene, more than any other, I think, is why I will always love Star Blazers.

Desslok is THE MAN.

/AGREE.

That happens to be the very first episode I ever saw. And, due to cross-country moving, the ONLY one I saw for two or three years.

It burned itself into my ten-year-old brain. Smile

--Sam

"DESS-LOK Desslok Desslok... DESS-LOK Desslok Desslok.."

And now for something a little more goofy, yet still awesome.

Big Name Fan Rob Fenelon was at the much fabled Anime-con 91 and at the masquerade show, was wearing a hall costume of Desslok. From other sources, I've
since learned he had not originally intended to be in the costume show.

Oh - I should digress and mention something about that event - it wasn't a cosplay and it wasn't a contest. No prizes were awarded. It was VERY
impromptu. And in glorious fandom tradition, that made it greater than it had ANY right to be.

Anyway, Rob at the last minute entered. No plan. No script. And completely ad-libbed this off-the-cuff crowning moment of awesome.

In case you have trouble hearing it - when he says "sometimes when I enter a restaurant people don't recognize me", an audience member
shouts "It's the beard!", to which he replies "Well, I lost something in translation!" which should go down in history as one of
the greatest come-backs ever!

Later on - he intones, "Some people ask me, 'Why did you choose a career as a military dictator?'" And the SAME HECKLER says, "Why did
you choose a career as a military dictator?"

He pause, and then says, "Thank you, you may live!"

Oh - and I have to say - I was there in the 2nd row, and I was one of the "instigators" of the "DESS-lok! DESSLOK DESSLOK!" chants. ^_^

Huh. I can't swear to the day, but it was 30 years ago this month for me, too. Fall 1979, beginning of my senior year in high school.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.