Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VII

Re: YMMV

You might also consider putting a header as part of the subpage template saying something to that effect, just to make it fairly clear. Could also link to the main YMMV page so people can read the more in-depth description of what that means.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Is there any way to automatically blanket-reject the addition of URLs to a particular website without preventing editing altogether?
Yes, although I don't know what it is or how to set it up.  Miraheze rejected a URL I had in my user page, and I had to get a steward to override it for me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ankhani Wrote:Re: YMMV

You might also consider putting a header as part of the subpage template saying something to that effect, just to make it fairly clear. Could also link to the main YMMV page so people can read the more in-depth description of what that means.
Header: done.

Link: not done, because the main YMMV page is a category page and I don't know how well a link to one would work within the subpage-header code.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hi folks,

we're back again.

There are some new screenshots, in the usual place, here.

We're feeling it: We're definitely getting close to the end. No more new problems cropping up for us to solve, only finish what we started.

We can't give you an exact day yet, but a rough estimate: This fall, we'll go online! Finally!

Also, we plan to make a Kickstarter video this week. We're still thinking about the details, but there'll be some 3D-printed perks. (Or even 4D-printed!)

This is the first of our 3D designs, for a keychain. (Screenshot from Cura software.)

We won't give you the URL/title we want for our wiki yet... but as proof we're not making anything up, here's the hash of it:

0c8dc880aae9c748b32de0b0e2b0c52e3cd0ddeeb0e14a3528b5952074e74ac885c3c7b4aaf8a2f69b8b2ddd349721a9ddde83f86ee882e330685734f5eafa9d

(This hash is encrypted in the same way as the passwords in our wiki software: We prepend a 64-character salt (individual for each password), and hash the result with SHA2 (512). Please tell us if you think that's not safe enough.)

Well, ATT now has three review pages, each with one review. Each review has been written by a different member of the mod team.

I'm not saying it's your turn next, Bob. I'm trying to figure out how to get other folks interested in writing reviews for ATT.
--
Rob Kelk

Maybe we should put a banner up on all pages for a little while, asking users to write reviews. And/or put a paragraph about doing so on the home page.
-- Bob
---------

Just pulled a few more of my older reviews out of the old, old "Anime Primer" periodic Usenet post, polished them a bit, and doubled the number of reviews we've got. But I can't do that for much longer.
--
Rob Kelk

I should try to find all my old reviews on TVT and port them over. I had some, not a lot, but some.
-- Bob
---------

I'd be willing to chip in some more reviews soon.
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VII
Refresh my memory, please (because I've forgotten and All The Tropes:Pages Needing Restoration doesn't say): When did TVTropes change their license and make it problematic to use their content on ATT?
--
Rob Kelk

The change was made at some point between 8 July and 17 July 2012, as far as can be determined using Wayback Machine copies of the relevant pages.  I've updated the PNR page as well as the ATT timeline with this information.

Meanwhile, I've finally gotten around to writing up a first draft of All The Tropes:Works Page Guidelines, which oddly we did not have despite having trope page and creator page guidelines. Please give it a look and help whip it into shape.

-- Bob
---------

@robkelk: "This change happened in July of 2012"
@TvT Rivals: You didn't post the salt along with the hash.  You have to assume that if you're compromised, the salt and the hash are both compromised, because they're stored in the same location.  (Well, unless you have a salt microservice, and then God help you.)  Salts are still a great idea, as they prevent any kind of rainbow table attack ??.  I am curious why you didn't choose one of the stock solutions today like bcrypt or scrypt.  The bcrypt algorithm is designed to be configurably slow so the cracking difficulty level can be increased along with Moore's Law. The scrypt approach is similar, but it also uses a lot of memory so that one cannot simply parallelize into Mordor.
I think I have some reviews I've emailed to Geth that I could post.
And finally, I wrote and deployed an entirely new version of SectionHide -- this time called HideSection.  Hopefully this will work better for everyone; let me know if you have any problems.  I already found one, but I filed a bug on VisualEditor and patched the CSS.
-- ∇×V

Thanks, Bob and Brent.

Okay, the "Demonophobia" page is now recovered. (And I can see why it was cut - just the clinical descriptions of the tropes squik me out.) Somebody else gets to entry-pimp the page.
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:The change was made at some point between 8 July and 17 July 2012, as far as can be determined using Wayback Machine copies of the relevant pages.  I've updated the PNR page as well as the ATT timeline with this information.

Meanwhile, I've finally gotten around to writing up a first draft of All The Tropes:Works Page Guidelines, which oddly we did not have despite having trope page and creator page guidelines. Please give it a look and help whip it into shape.
Nice page, Bob, thanks for adding it.

And Rob, yah, Demonophobia is gross, but trust me, I've seen MUCH WORSE (don't ask for your own sanity), and while I agree someone else can give it an entry pimp if they care to, TV Tropes never should have cut it, as it is a work (disgusting as it might be).

Did some testing of HideSection on my localhost wiki, works fine for me aside from not working right with one of the extensions (it's a cloned setup of our Miraheze wiki), going to narrow that down sooner or later and see if I can figure out the issue to prevent more bugs, though I don't expect any aside from the one Brent found.

And for all of you, if I haven't said so before, and just in case you needed to hear it again, thanks for all your hard work. Big Grin

You're working harder than I am - thank you.

And I should clarify my earlier remark about Demonophobia. I dislike guro, but I dislike letting one's personal bias get in the way of one's work even more. While I understand the reasoning for cutting the page, I don't agree with it - if I did, I wouldn't have restored the page.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:You're working harder than I am - thank you.

And I should clarify my earlier remark about Demonophobia. I dislike guro, but I dislike letting one's personal bias get in the way of one's work even more. While I understand the reasoning for cutting the page, I don't agree with it - if I did, I wouldn't have restored the page.
I know that feel bro. [Image: banana-dance.gif]

Also, we just got a nice donation of another method of spoiler code work by a new user named Idris, which allows us to have clickable sppoilers like on TV Tropes.

I just added it as a gadget, and Miraheze's caching may make it take awhile to take effect should you wish to try it, and it apparently has some fits with our default spoiler coding (think this is fixed, paging User:Labster to see if I didn't plz).

Actually I can't get either of our spoiler gadgets to work :/
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:Actually I can't get either of our spoiler gadgets to work :/
MediaWiki 1.27 must have changed up a few things again. :/

I suggest comparing notes with Idris here.

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tc9p5f0jrep1w3gy

Update: The click show/hide gadget now works!

Update 2: Our other spoiler gadgets should work now thanks to User:Idris.

Just wanted everyone to know, I've written a new privacy policy proposal for Miraheze.  More correctly I got my friend from another wiki farm to public-domain the policy from localwiki.org that he got a lawyer to write, and modified a few clauses.
If anyone wants to comment on or bikeshed the new policy before it goes into effect, it's available here: http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/User:Lab ... _alternate
I'd like to have some sort of official policy sometime in the first half of next month.
-- ∇×V

Looks good overall, Brent. I fixed a missing word and a grammar issue while reading, and in the section on under-13 users I think you need to explicitly state that it's the children we're not tracking, rather than leave it undefined and open-ended, but other than that, I've no problems.
-- Bob
---------

Section 5: When you say "the Data Protection Act of 1998", by any chance do you mean "The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) of 2000"?

If not, then we should at least mention how Miraheze handles international expectations. Section 9 is rather vague.
--
Rob Kelk

The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) is an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which defines UK law on the processing of data on identifiable living people. You may wish to provide clarification or an external link to explain this legislation. (e.g. The full text of the legislation)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
We just added back SocialProfile and few other extenstions
We had these briefly, back when we were on Orain, they are now back on Miraheze.

However, they need some finetuning, and are not ready for general use yet.

Your userpages have been converted to SP standard, and you can upload an avatar picture of yourself if you want, but the rest is kinda broke, so if you don't want to use the SP page for now or just prefer your standard page, do this:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:ToggleUserPage

It will switch you back to your standard wiki page, just in case the toggle button on your page for the same does not work for any reason.

I also have attempted to resurrect the WikiForum extension, don't use yet, not ready for general use, the regular forums will remain in place until i say otherwise.

Please report any site breaking issues I have not addressed here, and I will keep you all apprised of further developments.

Say, guys, how often does the job run which updates Special:WantedFiles? I just checked it this morning, and it is just full of crossed-out images, which far outnumber the genuine missing files at least in the first thousand or so entries.

Oh, and I was getting 503s and 504s just trying to look at that page.  (Edit:  Followed by 502s on every page.)
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Say, guys, how often does the job run which updates Special:WantedFiles? I just checked it this morning, and it is just full of crossed-out images, which far outnumber the genuine missing files at least in the first thousand or so entries.

Oh, and I was getting 503s and 504s just trying to look at that page.  (Edit:  Followed by 502s on every page.)

The Special Pages tend to be massive resource whores, and the Miraheze guys have been working on them recently, should clear up soon.

Also found out other people on other wikis have similar issues as us, it is being worked on.