Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File/Print server - what do I need?
File/Print server - what do I need?
I just picked up a low-end system to use as a file and print server (although it seems odd to call a 3.0GHz P4 with 1GB memory, a 500GB HDD, and XP Pro
"low-end" when I still own a working 386). My recent IT experience is in backup/restore, not NAS and print services. More importantly, I don't
have time to go looking for a checklist today.

So... Besides "hook up the KVM switch, supply power, boot, load AVG and current definitions files from CD, do an AV scan, switch off, plug in the
printers, switch on, load printer drivers, and hook the box up to the LAN, in that order", what do I need in the way of hardware and/or software to turn
this into a proper file and print server, and what order do I need to do things in?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Is it running the same OS that the computers you'll be printing to it with will be using?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Meh i always liked the cups printing system, it amongs other nifty things has a browser based configuration tool where you can see qued jobs and the like. Of
course i believe it's linux only but my previous residence and workplace both used it. It's not compatible with all printers though since some printers
don't have linux drivers. fairly rare though.

Limited experince with windows print serving suggests tons and tons of pain. also windows client to linux print server seems to work a lot better than linux
client to windows print server if that is a concern for you.

for fileserver use samba (lots of complex config to do.) or ftp. Or NFS, but windows boxes don't tend to like it much.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

needs more information about the rest of the OSes on the network - but I'm in Catty's camp here, Linux server, windows/linux clients = happy admin.

we use the built-in print server in our printer at my house, sorry.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

With WinXP it's relatively easy - there's loads of Google references on doing it.

Personally, I just drop a few extra bucks on a networkable printer, and work from there.

Quote:Is it running the same OS that the computers you'll be printing to it with will be using?
Right now, it's running WinXP - the systems on the LAN are a mix of WinXP and Win2k, with the occasional addition of my Palm.

Scrub and replace with *nix & Samba? I suppose I could, but that's at least a weekend job for me...

Quote:Personally, I just drop a few extra bucks on a networkable printer, and work from there.
Only got one port left open on the router, and I want to hook up both the colour inkjet and the B&W laser...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

XP printer sharing is one of those things that's going to be Not A Big Deal on your network, then. Unless you print from the Palm, which I doubt. Wink
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.