Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's that smell? Oh just my computer...
What's that smell? Oh just my computer...
Hello,
I stopped by because I googled my author name and saw a few mentions in the other people's fanfiction section. I post under the name JBern, but that was already taken on ez-board, so I added ffa for fanficauthors (dot) net which is one of the sites I post at.
Interesting little corner of the world wide web you have here.
I write a good deal, which leaves me little time for actual reading these days and even less for anything resembling gaming whether it is online or the old fashioned rolling the dice variety. I might even have some of the GURPS stuff out in the garage - along with all the old Battletech and even some rare games that never really caught on. (Anyone recall something called The Morrow Project?)
When I'm not writing fanfics, I'm working on original material. I have 4 completed shorts stories and a half finished novel that I am coauthoring. The short stories have already begun collecting rejection letters, but I remain hopeful for my first real sale. Right now I'm waiting on rejection letters from Shroud Magazine and Analog, though you never know when lightning will strike and I'll catch that first break.
The novel already has a small independent publisher waiting on it. I hope to have the rough draft of the manuscript completed by end of February, revisions by April and publication in early to mid summer. Of course this slows down my fanfic writing, but it is a necessary trade off.
These days, a successful independent book sells a mere 5000 copies. Call me shameless, but hopefully by building up a large enough fanbase for my fan fics, I will easily eclipse that number before starting to market beyond a fan base.
For a better description of my original writing, it can be found here.
jbern.fanficauthors.net/i...hp?nid=187
Re: What's that smell? Oh just my computer...
Well, here's a public welcome to go with the one I just wrote you in ezmail or whatever they call it. We're very happy to have you here, and when I finally getting around to writing the Harry Potter installment of my fic cycle, I'll be glad to have another experienced hand around to critique it.
And oh yes, I remember The Morrow Project. I only ever played one session of it, but my friend (and sometime housemate in the late 80s) John "Skitz" Freiler was very big into it; I remember that he had used the random bomb distribution tables to map out the zones of destruction and irradiation and whatnot all over the continental United States. He had this huge US map with black and red and orange circles all carefully marked out on it. He loved to point out that one of the few places on the east coast that was completely untouched by the destruction he generated was the very tip of a long peninsula somewhere called "Land's End", and joked about going out there on the day the game said the war took place to have a picnic and watch the bombs drop...
In any case, I've gone and rambled. Let me just say welcome again, and I hope we see you around!

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
It was a pretty good game, but conceptually at some point your heroes were supposed to start rebuilding civilization. That actually requires hard work and thought on the party's part. I think the old Gamma World was more of a romp with a better premise.
After you run out of people to kill and things to blow up, naturally, but we had a few pretty good games and the few modules were well constructed.
Anyway thanks for the welcome.
Jim
Oh, wow, Gamma World. I haven't thought of that game in a long, long time. I think I still have a copy of that on my shelf somewhere. Oh, yeah, that one's on the far fantasy end of "science fantasy", with its bozo mutations and whatnot... and the fact that it was designed to dovetail into D&D as it existed at that time.

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
I recall my first experience with the Morrow Project. The guy running the game placed the party in Upstate New York and had the bomb that was supposed to hit the National Guard Armory in Romulus New York not detonate.
All so he could have a "Romulan Empire" in the game. I groaned the minute he said it, but it was rather well done.
That's just awful.

-- Bob
---------