Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Any "like to cook" foodies here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
My slow cooker is so old that the company isn't in business any more - sorry.

Have some recipes
EDIT: On a quick look, BBC's collection appears to have a good selection for almost any palate.
The radio station is a bit behind in getting the recipes up...

Vegetarian budget recipe: kale and sweet pea soup
Have you ever wondered what a Big Mac would have been like if it was invented in Laos or Cambodia? Wonder no more!

Last week's radio recipe os Big Mak dumplings
Last week's radio recipe went vegan: Dulse, sunflower seed and walnut pâté
Last week's radio recipe is a sweet one: Strawberries and cream trifle
Rob, in case I haven't said it before, thank you for posting all these links. I check almost all of them out, and I print and save anything I want to try. I may never actually get to them, but at least they're there in my recipe collection in case I get the time and inclination.
Happy to help, Bob.

I'm making the list so that we (I) have ready access to all of these recipes, no matter how many times various websites redesign their front-ends and make it difficult to search the archives.
Yes, they want to sell more chocolate, but the recipes still look good.

Recipes | World of Lindt

Gosh, why would they have "Lemon Cake with a Fudge Bunny Centre" at this time of year? Smile
Breakfast, anyone? Last week's radio recipe is for gourmet cherry-flavoured oatmeal

The page includes the recipes for the vanilla creme and the dark cherry compote.

Recipe courtesy of Oat Couture Cafe.

EDIT: Contains coconut.
Ooooh, nice.

On the topic of good food, Peg and I have made a fun discovery at a nearby grocery store we didn't used to shop at -- ShopRite, part of a chain which is local to the Mid-Atlantic states here. It turns out they have house-brand meal kits, all around US$13 each, with meat, veggies, some variety of rice, sauce, oil, everything you need to do up a complete gourmet-ish dinner in a single pan in 15 minutes or so. We're slowly making our way through the varieties, and so far we've not been disappointed by the quality or the ease. I've liked everything so far, myself, but the Moroccan chicken was a bit too spicy for Peg, and she isn't sure she liked the lemon-garlic sauce for the Pork Scallopini. We both agreed, though, that the Korean Beef was great, sort of a savory-not-sweet teriyaki.

Anyway, back to links to Canadian-sourced recipes. <grin>
Interesting, Bob, you're making me wish we had one of those places here. Wegmans is great but they don't quite do that kind of thing.
I'm surprised. Wegman's is further up the scale than ShopRite, I would think they would have that kind of thing.
Define house brand meal kits?

I don't think we have much in the Netherlands in the way of 'here's all the ingredients and a recipe,' it seems limited to soups, but we've got a fair variety of 'here's the herbs, spices and staple food all prepackaged, add meat and vegetables as described in the recipe.' Results vary, but mostly between 'decent' and 'actually pretty good.'
"House brand" is the grocery chain's private label.
"Meal kit" is a set of all the ingredients that one needs to make a complete one-pot meal, including instructions on how to put the ingredients together.

For example, here's a fish pie meal kit from Tesco in the UK Not quite a meal kit, in that it doesn't include the crust for the pie.
I'd do a similar link to the ShopRite kits, but the images are tiny and don't really show anything but the label anyway.
Looks like I missed the recipe for the week before last - that must have been because of the Easter chocolate.
Chocolate-and-licroice-covered dates

And some more recipes from other stations in the network. In no particular order:

Julie Van Rosendaal's recipe for hamantaschen
"Celebrating Purim in the Eastern European style"

Pasta e ceci (pasta with chickpeas)
"Use these tips to streamline dinner without meal kits"

Chocolate Sprinkle cake
Makes one 3-layer round cake (10-12 servings)

Mem's Bakeapple pie
If you're in Newfoundland, the fruit of Rubus chamaemorus is called bakeapple. If you're "away", it's called cloudberry, knoutberry, aqpik, or averin. No matter what they're called, they're tasty.

Julie's roasted chicken caesar salad
With croutons infused with chicken drippings.

CBC Vancouver's 2016 Savoury Recipe Exchange
Over three dozen recipes, including two different tourtieres, sweet and sour water chestnuts, pustoles, pickled walnuts, and "Cranberry Feta Pinwheels".

Rutabaga Puffs with nutmeg

Feijoada
Brazilian black bean stew

Marinated Tofu, Brussels Sprouts with Almonds, Jerusalem Artichoke Puree, and Wild Mushrooms
Four recipes.

Jaeger Schnitzel

Edmonton Food Bank's turkey and pasta, Navy Bean Soup, and carrot smoothie
Three recipes.

Sausage & Bean Soup with Cheese Toast

Cherry Cheese Blintzes, and Dutch Baby
Two pancake recipes, neither from a mix
I'm sorry, but I see "Jaeger Schnitzel" and I can't help but wonder if we're seeing the start of the Girl Genius Cookbook....
(04-11-2018, 01:53 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry, but I see "Jaeger Schnitzel" and I can't help but wonder if we're seeing the start of the Girl Genius Cookbook....

Well, the recipe comes from one province east of the Pacific Rim, so... Smile
Sorry, it just means 'hunter style schnitzel.'

Also, that's definitely how you don't make Dutch style pancakes. Dutch style pancakes are more like unusually thick crepes, and still quite thin by American pancake baking standards.

It's not uncommon for them to be baked with bacon strips, cheese (younger tends to work better because it melts more easily) or thin slices of apple. Usually they're served with caster sugar and syrup on the table (or molasses, if you can't stick spoon in and let it go without it immediately and noticeably falling over it's known as pouring syrup here, which is also common) and sometimes there's cinnamon mixed in with the batter.

I've done evenings of baking with frankly obscene amounts of batter for one person which left me baking for basically 4 hours or so on two pans, it made for a good dinner, a good breakfast, a good lunch, another dinner, another breakfast and sometimes another lunch. It takes a while, but it makes for a great snack and bread substitute if you don't want to eat bread for a while. Store in the fridge and keep it covered, and just peel off a few from the stack if you are hungry.
(04-11-2018, 03:25 PM)hazard Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, it just means 'hunter style schnitzel.'
Well, yes, but when did the facts stand in the way of a running joke on this forum?

(04-11-2018, 03:25 PM)hazard Wrote: [ -> ]Also, that's definitely how you don't make Dutch style pancakes. Dutch style pancakes are more like unusually thick crepes, and still quite thin by American pancake baking standards.
Sounds good. Got a recipe?
Sure.

Ingredients for about 10 pancakes:
250 grams of flour
500 milliliters of milk
2 eggs.

Put the flour into a large mixing bowl, sieve if preferred, add the milk and crack and add the eggs. Mix thoroughly; you want a smooth, fluid batter without lumps, because that pours easily.

Heat up a skillet or large frying pan and add a small lump of butter. Don't use oil; not because oil can't reach the needed temperatures, it can, but because you need to place a bit shortening into the pan with every pancake and oil is messier; otherwise it'll stick to the pan, even with a nonstick coating. While that's melting into the pan use a ladle to scoop up some batter from the mixing bowl. What you want to do is to make sure that as much of the bottom is covered with as thin a layer of batter as possible, so pick up the frying pan and angle it as you pour the batter. If you can manage it pour on the melted butter for best effect, but doing it right takes a bit of practice. Expect the first one or two pancakes not to turn out well, it takes time for the pan itself to heat up properly.

Keep the pan on a medium to low heat and wait until the top of the pancake has shifted colour from the batter's off white to a more yellow shade, this means the batter has dried out and that the pancake should now be strong enough to take getting turned upside down, so use a spatula and turn it around. When done it should be light brown on both sides, serve immediately (seriously, it's delicious (and hot, very very hot)).

This is the most basic recipe. When adding cinnamon, add the powdered cinnamon along with the flour to the mixing bowl. When adding things like bacon, cheese or apple slices add them immediately after having poured the batter into the pan. With apple slices you generally want to pour a little extra batter over the slices to make sure they stick to the pancake. Syrup, custard sugar and other sweeteners are added after baking.

For more pancakes, just add more ingredients at the same ratio. Keep in mind when baking that the batter is not a stable suspension; you need to stir it every once in a while as otherwise the flour will settle on the bottom.
Last week's radio recipes have a Korean vibe: bulgogi chicken wings, and coconut cilantro sticky rice (two recipes). The wings make their own dipping sauce!
Last week's radio recipe is a quick lunch, perfect with a beer: An Ottawa take on Nashville hot chicken sandwiches
Just got myself an Instant Pot. Fun toy. Now I need ways to abuse it. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12