Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Any "like to cook" foodies here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Last week's recipe collection is a couple of sauces: smoked tomato miso mayo (on "kimchee fries"), and lemon dill vinaigrette dressing (on mixed-greens salad).
The weekly radio recipe is from a fundraiser for Kerala: pineapple pachadi.

Contains coconut.
A wiki walk dropped me onto the larger web here:

Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean Tourtière

Feeds 15-20. Set aside a day to prepare and cook.

Note: Where it says "Some prefer to smatter it with ketchup (ordinary or green, homemade of course)", they mean a "chow chow" chunky ketchup, with more body than the stuff that Heinz and French's sells but not as much body as a typical mild salsa. (two minutes later) buy it online, or make it yourself.
Last week's radio recipe: Lady Ashburn pickles (allow two days for preparation)

If you've never tried mustard pickles, these are a good variety to start with. If you have tried mustard pickles, these are a bit different.
At first, I thought it was depressing when the radio recipe was for a club sandwich... but then I saw that it included recipes for cooking the turkey and making the bread.

Also, a blend of veggies and a special sauce for a veggie burger.
(09-17-2018, 02:47 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]At first, I thought it was depressing when the radio recipe was for a club sandwich... but then I saw that it included recipes for cooking the turkey and making the bread.

Hm.  Next time I need twelve loaves of bread all at once...
I dunno, I usually make three loaves when I'm making our Secret Family Holiday Sweetbread recipe.

I might get audacious and try for six, this year. Share one or two with friends.
To be fair, it is a restaurant recipe. They probably go through a dozen loaves a day.
Bob's mention of The Register on ATT's Weirdest Inbound Link of the Day page reminded me that they used to run a "something for after the pub crawl" recipe feature - the only reason they stopped was the contributor's Author Existence Failure. So I went looking to see whether I could find any of those recipes. I haven't found them yet.

What I have found is a two-year-old but still functioning link to a page where you can download every beer recipe that the BrewDog brewery ever made up to when they assembled the PDF - 215 recipes - with quantities and times given in home-brewer-friendly amounts. DIY DOG
(09-20-2018, 11:36 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]Bob's mention of The Register on ATT's Weirdest Inbound Link of the Day page reminded me that they used to run a "something for after the pub crawl" recipe feature - the only reason they stopped was the contributor's Author Existence Failure. So I went looking to see whether I could find any of those recipes. I haven't found them yet.

Found them - the most recent one had a list of links to all of the others.
I think many of these are "after the pub crawl" because you'd have to be drunk to try them... Smile
I have the BrewDog doc, IIRC, I got it some years back... the Register recipes, though, are new to me. Thanks!
I'll make a comment on the Dutch examples.

The Uitsmijter is also commonly found with the ham and cheese baked with the egg, and may alternately be called the way it is because it's something you can have the kitchen cook quickly at any point.

The Kapsalon was designed by the proprietor of a barbershop (hence the name) who wanted something hearty to eat after a day of work and swung by his cafeteria. Although the 'fries, meat, cheese, vegetables' layering is common, there's considerable variation when it comes to the vegetables these days.

Stamppot is usually made with potatoes, but historically it has also been made with parsnip. And when Leiden celebrates the Relief of Leiden it's traditionally still served in that manner. Although it's something that's usually eaten in winter, it's a rather hearty dish, the basic structure is potatoes, vegetables and porc products, usually bacon and smoked sausage.
(09-20-2018, 05:30 PM)hazard Wrote: [ -> ]Stamppot is usually made with potatoes, but historically it has also been made with parsnip. And when Leiden celebrates the Relief of Leiden it's traditionally still served in that manner. Although it's something that's usually eaten in winter, it's a rather hearty dish, the basic structure is potatoes, vegetables and porc products, usually bacon and smoked sausage.

Good to know - around here, parsnip in season is less expensive than potato.
Here's one that the youngsters can make: Layered caramel dip. Serve with apple or pear slices to dip into it. "it’s more of a formula than a recipe" - the writer encourages making changes to it.
Last week's radio recipe is BBQ squash and kale salad

Completely vegan.
BlackAeronaut posted this one to the image thread: Puffy Tacos
The "CBC Parents" site has a "Food" section, and some of the pages are recipes. For example: (Yes, this list is heavy on the "use up leftovers" recipes. Our Thanksgiving is this weekend.)
Last week's radio recipe is pumpkin spice latte - without all the sugar that the coffee chains put into theirs. (Possibly as little as one-twentieth as much sugar as what the chains use.)
As a non-coffee drinker, I wonder how that would work with tea. Also, I'd probably use some non-sugar sweetener like Swerve.
I wouldn't add it to Earl Grey, but I suspect it might be good with standard orange pekoe tea...
Heh, I was thinking that if I did use tea, I'd have to call it "pumpkin spice chai."
It's art! It's food! It's last week's radio recipe!

(As for the "art" part of the description, I believe we already have a trope for that.)
Steak. Proper fucking pan-fried steak. Nothing beats it.

Start with the cow. Something marbelled - that came from close to the bone or still has it's bone. I like rib eye. And it has to be a proper Cow - not some fucking antibiotic and grain-fed hormonal American cow. This thing once lived in a field, ate grass for those times of the year grass was available,a te silage when it wasn't and isn't so overloaded with artificial hormones that it starts messing with your moods .

It's a cow. And nothing but. A good butcher should have plenty of proper cows.

Take your cuts of beef home, put them on a plate. Season with salt and pepper. Both sides. Add nothing else. Leave them in the fridge overnight. If you feel like it - flip them in the morning so the juices don't all settle on the one side.

2 hours before cook-time, take your cut off beef out and leave it beside the cooker to warm to room temperature. Go for a pint. I recommend a good hearty pint of Guinness. Maybe 4 or 5 - 2 hours is enough to get that down into you and work up the appetite.

Get the deep fat fryer heating. Fetch your chips. Maybe get some onion rings too. I like oven-baked potatoe waffles that can be dipped but that's just me. Either way, you need to time it right because next part has a very defined timeline.

You dripping  - beef is good but I've always done it in a pan still loaded with the grease from that morning's fry. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I use it all the same. It's habit. Then get that pan good and hot - like, this thing's somewhere just below flashpoint hot. If you see fire it's gone too far dont put water on it. But when the smoke alarm goes off that's usually a good sign.

Unless you're like me and take the battery out because there's going to be a lot of smoke.

Grab a stopwatch.

Drop the beef on. Stand back and don't wear a short sleeved t-shirt. Let it settle on the pane and let it sizzle. It'll smoke. It'll scorch. Let it Don't flip it. Don't fuck with it. Let it sit and led it fry.

It'll take three minutes for most cuts to get somewhere from medium, to medium-rare. Just enough to see blood seeping up through the topside (Which should still seem raw). Add thirty second to get to the next stage of done-ness. Subtract thirty to get close to rare.

Flip it. Stand back. Burns on the hands are par for the course at this point. Let it fry. Get yourself a nice, fat knob of squeeze-from-a-tit butter and spread it across the cooked topside of the beef - just to add that bit of moisture back in.

After another three minutes. It's done. Get it off the pan. Get the pan off the heat before you're calling the firebrigade. Get on the phone to eircome phonewatch before they call the firebrigade on your behalf because your smoke alarm will have been screaming the whole time.

Unless you took the battery out.

With the steak on a plate - put it in the microwave. Don't turn the microwave on The microwave is the best place for it to rest. If it's left in the open, it'll cool too fast. If it's put in the oven with active heat and ventilation, it'll dry out. Put it in the microwave. It's a sealed insulated box that'll hold all the mousture in, all the vapours, all the flavours. It'll slow the cooldown down to the point where all the fats and meats properly anneall and self tenderise.

It'll be done after 4-5 minutes. While it's resting you can fry onions or make gravy in the remants on the pan. I don't do that because I like my steak nude.

Anyway If you've time it right, everything else will be ready at the same time. It should emerge from the microwave soft, swimming in its own leaking juices. It'll be soft enough that a butter knife should cut it. Even the fats will have disintegrated. It'll just be beef - thick, juicy beef.

Eat it.

Drink a bottle of scotch after. I recommend Laphroaig.
Last week's radio recipe is Old-fashioned dried apple cake, adapted from a 1911 recipe.

No time to make dessert from scratch? Well, you'll miss out on a good apple cake... but there is something between "from scratch" and "store-bought": Cakeover: Simple styling tips to make a store-bought cake stand out. The article has two worked examples in recipe form: "Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Tower" and "Vodka Chocolate Swirls"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12