Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Okay, now what the hell is going on with logins? This time it won't let me in, it just gives me a pink box reading
Quote:There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again.
no matter what I do. And yes, I allow cookies from the wiki.
I had that repeatedly a couple of days ago. I finally solved it by "going in the back door" - logging in at the freebie wiki and using the common signin to get me into ATT.

Bob, I know you have an account on the freebie wiki... EDIT ... and I just set your account there to Confirmed. (Want to be an admin? Smile ) I also see an account for SelfCloak on the freebie wiki.
(05-23-2018, 07:08 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, now what the hell is going on with logins?  This time it won't let me in, it just gives me a pink box reading
Quote:There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again.
no matter what I do.  And yes, I allow cookies from the wiki.

Flush all cookies, log in again.

That GDPR rule forced them to hose over all old cookies so that you could get a new one after receiving the Cookie Warning acknowledgment, the pink error is informing you the old cookie is invalid so you needed to flush it.
And that worked, thanks.

Meanwhile, about 23 hours ago, I gave Jason taylor a minor ultimatum -- talk to us about improving the quality of his contributions, or be subject to a week-long attention-getter. Curiously, he hasn't reappeared since then, and someone who seems to have a similar style and focus has suddenly started contributing anonymously. Is there any tool available to admins to actually see what IP taylor came in on, so I can compare it to our new anonymous contributor?
Not directly, but a Miraheze Steward can do a "Check user" to see whether the IP addresses match.

I think a "Check user" is requested via phabricator.

EDIT:
(05-24-2018, 11:31 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]... Curiously, he hasn't reappeared since then, and someone who seems to have a similar style and focus has suddenly started contributing anonymously. ...
I went and looked. if by "similar style" you mean "exactly the same style, including idiosyncratic use of parentheses", I'd have to agree.
I'll have to look and see what the proper format for a checkuser request is, then I'll make one. In the mean time, what shall we do about the inestimable mr. taylor?
So, I've been taking entries at pseudo-random off the list of pages with Category:No Real Life Examples, Please that don't use Template:noreallife and applying the template - and I found Lysistrata Gambit. That's a lot of Real Life examples... Which would be worse, removing the category or doing an Example Sectionectomy?
(05-22-2018, 06:12 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]You're right - it was set up to find pages that used either template. (goes and double-checks documentation) And I see I can't search for pages that use two templates... so I'm changing that list to searching for just the deathtrope template. EDIT: Better, yet, it's now a list of pages in CategoryBig Grineath Tropes that don't use the deathtrope template.

Hmmm. As I understand it, the idea is that characters dying is pretty much always a spoiler, so it's pointless to have spoiler markup on death trope pages, because then everything would be spoilered.

There's a couple there that seem like they're more often the setup for the story than a reveal within it, though - Humanity's Wake, Death Takes a Holiday, maybe Celestial Bureaucracy? Starts with a Suicide, for the most part.

I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is.

(05-24-2018, 07:47 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]So, I've been taking entries at pseudo-random off the list of pages with Category:No Real Life Examples, Please that don't use Template:noreallife and applying the template - and I found Lysistrata Gambit. That's a lot of Real Life examples... Which would be worse, removing the category or doing an Example Sectionectomy?

I'm not seeing anything that obviously triggers my "Yeah, we don't want examples like this" sense. (Although one I'm not sure is actually an example of the trope at all.) Removing the category sounds fine to me.

-Morgan.
Agreed. I took a look at it yesterday, and honestly, there was nothing about the trope that suggested that real life examples would be inappropriate in any way.

BTW, Morgan, which example was it that didn't seem to be an actual example?
(05-24-2018, 03:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]I'll have to look and see what the proper format for a checkuser request is, then I'll make one.  In the mean time, what shall we do about the inestimable mr. taylor?

I've given him enough of a grace period.  I'm tempbanning both the named account and his end-run.  And I'm seriously considering permbanning the end-run.
Block anonymous editing from the raw IP, but let people login from it. That way, if it happens to be somebody else, they can still contribute.

EDIT: D'oh! As soon as I hit "save", I realized: we can block his account and check a box that says to also block the last IP he logged in from. We should do that.
Tried contributing to the jason talk, got this:

Invalid CSRF token.

help thx.

also what I wanted to add to the topic but couldn't do to error above:
It's just getting sad that many of the few new users we do get, often don't end up contributing constructively. IDK whether that's inherent to the generalness of small wikis or troping at this point.
(05-25-2018, 09:41 AM)LulzKiller Wrote: [ -> ]Tried contributing to the jason talk, got this:

Invalid CSRF token.

help thx.

(05-23-2018, 08:48 PM)GethN7 Wrote: [ -> ]Flush all cookies, log in again.

That GDPR rule forced them to hose over all old cookies so that you could get a new one after receiving the Cookie Warning acknowledgment, the pink error is informing you the old cookie is invalid so you needed to flush it.
(05-25-2018, 07:06 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed. I took a look at it yesterday, and honestly, there was nothing about the trope that suggested that real life examples would be inappropriate in any way.

BTW, Morgan, which example was it that didn't seem to be an actual example?

Quote:Several bits of dating advice for women say to never sleep with a man if you want to marry him. After all, what man would want his children raised by a filthy, filthy whore who actually had a sex drive?

I approve of the sarcastic tone of the second sentence, but it doesn't seem like an example of a Lysistrata Gambit to me.

-Morgan.
Re our beloved Jason: New anonymous contributor at 2601:1c2:1702:4fd0:716b:59b4:90f3:a7b8 appears to be a new incarnation.
What the hell...?

Accessing any trope or work page in the wiki does this:

Quote:LocalSettings.php not found.

Please set up the wiki first.

Edit: Now it's back to normal just as suddenly as the error appeared. Weird.
It appears I can't access any User talk page on ATT. I'm not having this problem on the freebie wiki (which uses the default User Talk wiki software).

EDIT: Not just User Talk pages - I'm having the same issues with any Talk pages and Special:Recent Changes on ATT, but not on the freebie wiki. Looks like we might have a broken extension.

RE-EDIT: And, like SelfCloak, as soon as I post here about the problem, it goes away.
(05-25-2018, 07:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Re our beloved Jason:  New anonymous contributor at 2601:1c2:1702:4fd0:716b:59b4:90f3:a7b8 appears to be a new incarnation.

Pretty obvious to me - same idiosyncratic misuse of grammar, same favourite topics to write about.

I've semi-protected Jason's current favourite page so that one has to be logged in to edit it. This will last for one week. (Digression: Is there an extension or a script out there that will show padlocks on semi-protected pages? If there is, let's install it.)

I've also added a note to Jason's talk page, telling him the only reason I didn't make his tempban permanent right now was that Bob promised him a chance to explain his actions.
Aargh.

The page "You Can See the Explosion from Orbit" begins with the "trope" tag. Why is it a blue link on the "Rental Magica" page?
We have another candidate for our current favorite contributor: It looks like Jason taylor might be posting from 2601:1c2:1702:4fd0:e128:92cd:867d:e4b5.
Jason taylor's tempban expired a bit under an hour ago. I have posted a "reply or else" message on his user talk page, noting he has 167 hours left before permanent banning goes into effect. How much want to bet that if he replies at all he waits until the very last minute? He strikes me as just the kind to do that.
Ping Geth:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:Co...:FA2D:2812

How is three requests "overwhelming, arbitrary, and too frequent"? Is DocColress overreacting, or is there something I'm not aware of going on?
I think this might be same anonymous user he's been contending with for weeks, who comes in, makes changes and demands, until Doc tires of him and bans his current access point. Regardless, if he's a problem it should be a permanent ban, and if he's just annoying, there should be a better way of dealing with him.
Good morning. It appears that Jason taylor is preferring to play games than engage us. An anonymous user at 2601:1c2:1702:4fd0:dc5a:1525:b665:975f shows his preoccupation with military themes, consistent failure to mark up work names with italics or links, tendency toward run-ons, refusal to use commas for any reason whatsoever and insistence on no spaces around parentheses.
(06-03-2018, 09:11 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Good morning.  It appears that Jason taylor is preferring to play games than engage us.  ...
As far as I'm concerned, that makes him a wiki vandal.

I just noticed that {{website}} does not put a Wikipedia link on the pages where it's used.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12