Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: NanoSteps Brainstorming 2 - Stepping Out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
We did the Nanostep - now see (some of) the chapter titles:

Do You Believe in Friendship?
Every Little Thing She Does Is Friendship
[He's a] Friendship Man
Black Friendship Woman
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, at least you didn't try riffing on Secret Agent(Friendship) Man.

So, just what would the story tie be to Princess Luna/Nightmare Moon to earn Black Friendship Woman? I'm thinking anthropomorphic spell or the EG mirror portal.
Rod H Wrote:Well, at least you didn't try riffing on Secret Agent(Friendship) Man.
Well, yeah - "Secret Agent Man" doesn't have the word "magic" in the title to be replaced with "friendship."
Rod H Wrote:So, just what would the story tie be to Princess Luna/Nightmare Moon to earn Black Friendship Woman? I'm thinking anthropomorphic spell or the EG mirror portal.
Or possibly Doug's just willing to treat sophonts as men and women, no matter what their outward form might be. There's some evidence for that in DW II, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

Friendship: The GatheringThe Friendship Goes Away (crisis point in the story, obviously)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
"Gamagoori, Nonon. Everything go okay out there?" Nonon saluted.

"Sangoir-san. All COVERS involved in the attack have been neutralized. Ryuuko-chan is having a fit, though. Keeps calling herself a Life Fiber monster." I sighed. That girl needed a lesson on just how weird some of my compatriots in Warriors International had been, much less the people I've met over more than a century of multiversal travel. Telling them they can't call themselves people was usually a quick way to earn a trip to the hospital. Like hell was I going to stand for one teenage girl giving herself that treatment.

"Well, guess I need to go slap the stupid out of her. Other than that, well done. One thing, though. If you want to head on over to room 28C, I've got a guest that I think you'll want to see again." Gamagoori blinked.

"Again?" I laughed.

"Oh, why let me spoil the surprise? Off with you two!" I made shooing motions with my hands. Had I no survival instinct, I would have loved to have seen the look on Kiryuin Ragyo's face when she went down to that torture cage and found not her eldest daughter, but a card reading "Yoink!" Inumuta was still laughing about it, when he wasn't openly fanboying over Eimi.
I love using "Secret Agent Man" to pull these kinds of hostage and asset recoveries. Rescuing a girl? Easy. Stealing back her empowered garment? Somewhat harder. Making off with the other half of the Scissor Blade on top of all that? I nearly got caught, but it was worth it.
Getting to see that smug bitch's face when she was faced with both of her daughters in their super modes while wielding weapons capable of killing her? Priceless.
Edit: I think the changes I've made for accuracy show that Doug just caused maximum derailment of Episode 20's plot. 
I've been meaning to watch that. In my copious free time.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

BYapes

Quote:Terrace wrote:
Edit: I think the changes I've made for accuracy show that Doug just caused maximum derailment of Episode 20's plot. 
 Having just watched that episode on a livestream, I would tend to agree.
 BYapes
Brian Y.
Seed Chronicles
Brooding, Ezio crouched on a pier of worked stone that jutted from the very top of the Coliseum.  The latest clue to the Vault had proven no less confusing that all its predecessors -- if only he could find a...

"Wow.  That's a beautiful view."

Only years of rigid self-control prevented Ezio from starting in surprise and plummeting from his perch to the ground below.

"Rome's gorgeous this time of year."

Ezio stood and turned with a suddenness that should have surprised anyone but another assassin, but the man behind him didn't even flinch.  He wasn't even looking at Ezio, who took in his profile as the stranger stared out over the panoply of the city below.  Whoever he was, he wasn't Roman, not with that blond hair.  Maybe Milan or Trento, but not Rome.  He was dressed all in grey leather, the jacket and the trousers of a strange cut, and shod in heavy leather boots in the same grey.

How in the name of Hassan i-Sabbah did he get up here without me hearing a thing?  Within arm's reach, yet? Ezio wondered.  Even I make some sound when climbing.

"Parkour," the man said, then finally glanced his way, revealing blue-grey eyes and a grin that Ezio thought was equal parts taunting and good-natured.  "You were wondering how I got up here where you were.  Parkour," he repeated, not waiting for Ezio to answer.  "'Course you wouldn't be familiar with the word, but you get the idea, right?  Good exercise, great fun.  But you know that already -- I've been watching you running through, around, and on top of buildings all week."  His grin grew a bit larger.  "Figured I'd give it a try."

In an odd gesture he raised two fingers to his brow and then pointed them at Ezio.  "See you 'round," he said, then threw himself off the Coliseum.  Ezio blinked, then looked down from his perch to see the blond man roll laughing out of a wagon full of hay, look up, and wave to him.

Numbly, Ezio waved back. 

-- Bob
---------
I opened my eyes to the light of the morning sun filtered through a maple tree.  I lifted my head off the soft bed of pine needles, and got a good look at my surroundings.  I was near the edge of a forest of mixed pine and deciduous trees, without it feeling truly like a wilderness.  There are certainly worse places to wake up from a interdimensional travel than a secluded grove, and I've probably been to most of them.
I retrieved my motorcycle, propped against a tree, and headed out to get a better idea of where I was.  Amidst the rolling hills of farmland, I spotted a walled town nearby.  Its round lookout tower loomed over a settlement of colorful buildings with steep red roofs.  The burg looked like a fairytale Bavarian castle that would have been at home in the 17th or 18th century in my own world.
And that's exactly where I'd have pegged the local technology level -- until I saw a familiar ribbon of striped asphalt conveying a Volkswagen Beetle towards the town.  Some designs are truly universal.
I rode my bike past the castle gates and up into the town.  Life looked pretty much normal from the village square, with people cheerfully hawking their goods around the fountain.  A little food stand was busily serving waffles to the tourists, while the the local schoolchildren walked by on their way to school.
Well, most of them were walking towards the school.  There was one girl with giant buttons in her brown hair, who kept stopping, as if distracted by something.  She finally got close enough for me to hear her talk towards the empty space beside her, "I'm going now! Geez, I'm going to be late for school again!"
Well, that was suspicious enough to make me wonder, so I looked out with magesight.  And right where the schoolgirl had left, there hovered a small white glowing mass, the magical energy intricately arranged almost like a snowflake.  Once I knew where to look, I could see what had once been invisible to my normal sight.  In the place of that magical glow was one pink-haired fairy, wings and all.
Intrigued, I approached the six-inch tall fairy, who looked like a she was just a young girl.  A pouting young girl.  "What seems to be the problem, Miss Fairy?"
She looked at me, stunned for a second, and then ascended in a excited spiral.  The blur of pink and white finally settled down around to my eye level and shouted, "Wow!  You can see me too!  Just like Saga!"  She added her cheer, "Waffo!"
I guess she wasn't trying to hide from people after all.  "Yes, I can see you."
"Hey! If you can see me, can you help me out?" she entreated in her squeaky little voice.
"Sure.  What seems to be the problem, little lady?"  Had I known then the wild goose chase I was getting myself into, I wouldn't have been so eager to help.  But I've always been a sucker for those in need, and it's hard to say no to a face like hers.
"Mister," she said, "do you know where to find a twinkle?"
-- ∇×V
I'm surprised I didn't think of this crossover, considering how important music is to the plot.
--
Rob Kelk

Thank you for getting me to watch it Rob, through your anime recommendation website.
Epilogue: Waffles ever after.
-- ∇×V
I forgot to note this yesterday -- I've updated the NanoSteps thread with everything up to the Assassin's Creed bit I posted two weeks ago -- mainly because I forgot about Brent's contribution.  (EDIT:  And now that's been corrected.  Everything up to today is now in the main NanoSteps thread.)

And may I offer abject apologies for not updating the thread in about a year and a half? I had no idea I'd neglected it that long.
-- Bob
---------
No problem, Bob.  Real life tends to screw around with a lot of things.  Trust me, I know.
Bob, as an FYI, your quick spoiler note for #167 got mixed up with #166.
Argh. Caused by Yuku deciding to be "helpful" with the URL in #166. Removed it; if anyone wants to find that work it should be easy enough to do with Google and a combination of names from the spoiler and the nanostep text.
Thanks for catching that, Fred.  I wasn't expecting anything like that at all to happen.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:Jinx999 wrote:
Doug leaned on his motorbike.
"Another day, another world."
He looked at the nearby city, which appeared to be a normal American port city - that had been hit by several bombs and a tidal wave.
He looked at the nearby sign. "Welcome to Brockton Bay"
"Time to hit a library." he muttered as he casually brushed a fly from his neck.
You know, I'd really like to see Doug once he learns a bit more about this world, as it very much appears to be a dark reflection of his home dimension.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Sadly, all that I've heard about Worm has convinced me it's not my cuppa tea. Someone else will have to tell the tale.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Argh. Caused by Yuku deciding to be "helpful" with the URL in #166. Removed it; if anyone wants to find that work it should be easy enough to do with Google and a combination of names from the spoiler and the nanostep text.
Thanks for catching that, Fred.  I wasn't expecting anything like that at all to happen.
No problem.  Glad I spotted it.
Quote:Jorlem wrote:
Quote:Jinx999 wrote:
Doug leaned on his motorbike.
"Another day, another world."
He looked at the nearby city, which appeared to be a normal American port city - that had been hit by several bombs and a tidal wave.
He looked at the nearby sign. "Welcome to Brockton Bay"
"Time to hit a library." he muttered as he casually brushed a fly from his neck.
You know, I'd really like to see Doug once he learns a bit more about this world, as it very much appears to be a dark reflection of his home dimension.
Sadly, I'd expect him to be in for some extreme problems in that world, as he'd feel compelled to try to fix things. This would lead him into conflict with either Coil (Schrodinger's Villain) or one of Contessa's stupidly worded 'Path to Victory' plots. Recall that, in his native super powered setting, Doug isn't one of the heavy hitters. His chaotic defensive field would be fairly useful against their precognitive haxx, but he would definitely be the underdog versus the sort of opposition that'd arise.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Hazard

Quote:Shepherd wrote:
Sadly, I'd expect him to be in for some extreme problems in that world, as he'd feel compelled to try to fix things. This would lead him into conflict with either Coil (Schrodinger's Villain) or one of Contessa's stupidly worded 'Path to Victory' plots. Recall that, in his native super powered setting, Doug isn't one of the heavy hitters. His chaotic defensive field would be fairly useful against their precognitive haxx, but he would definitely be the underdog versus the sort of opposition that'd arise.
Given the events of DW5 that might not be much of a problem. IIRC Doug was told by the Fates themselves that so long as he keeps looking for a way home they'd make sure he'd not only find one but that he'd survive walking it. And then there is that tooth pick of his.
Quote:Hazard wrote:
Given the events of DW5 that might not be much of a problem. IIRC Doug was told by the Fates themselves that so long as he keeps looking for a way home they'd make sure he'd not only find one but that he'd survive walking it. And then there is that tooth pick of his.
"Did your staff just extend and punch a hole straight through the Endbringer?!?"
-- ∇×V
And indeed it is. Fixing that now.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:Timote wrote:
Quote:Hazard wrote:
"Did your staff just extend and punch a hole straight through the Endbringer?!?"
His defensive chaotic field and being a being of chaos would probably cause precogs to go cry in a corner with a headache.
"Hand me the aspirin, all I got was the comically impossible futures."

Hazard

"You think that's bad? I got the impossibly comical ones, I'll never be able to look at the Endbringers the same way again!"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13