Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: NanoSteps Brainstorming 2 - Stepping Out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I hope this doesn't mean you'd clobber Robert Ching, too.

OK, sorry, scratch that.  Leave it to me to reference a character so obscure that Google doesn't turn up any hits to his name -- as his, that is.  I can barely find mention of the book he appeared in.

For what it's worth, Robert Ching was an important character in Norman Spinrad's 1967 novel Agent of Chaos; he was, in fact, the First Agent, leader of the group.  So there actually was a connection with Bob's post ... it wasn't a total non sequitur.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Joker got off easy, compared to (according to the development notes somewhere on the forum) how Joker in Read or Die fared...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
robkelk Wrote:Joker got off easy, compared to (according to the development notes somewhere on the forum) how Joker in Read or Die fared...
Wherever it was, it must have gotten lost in the Great Blanking a few years back, because searching for it doesn't turn up anything.
Worse, I went to my ROD notes file, and there's nothing there but the snippet from the Nanosteps -- and I know I had a whole thing worked out that started with Doug walking in on the face-off in the Library between the SWAT team and Yomiko, Nancy and Nenene in ROD The TV...  Argh!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Oh, dear...

For those tuning in late: As I recall, Doug was able to hear enough of Joker's speech in the Diet's Library that he knew who the bad guy was, and he took the special-ops option of eliminating the opposition. (Which would have made the rest of the story even worse for the Paper Masters et al, since nobody was around to moderate Wendy's actions...)
--
Rob Kelk

As far as I could tell, she had my Lightning's Hand song-power hardwired into her body. Only without the flashy pyrotechnics.

-I know you're following me.

And she hacked my helmet speakers.
-- Bob
---------
Rune Balot.... From Mardock Scramble. Specifically the book.... (Which I haven't actually finished yet but have been enjoying quite a bit).

I think I enjoy these settings too much.

"Eight meters." Private Hudson checked the motion sensor again. "Seven. Six."

"Can't be, that's inside the room," Riply responded.

"It's readin' right, man!"

"Then you're not reading it right!"

"Five meters. Four. What the hell?" It was around then that our eyes drifted towards the ceiling. The drop ceiling.

"Oh, shit. System, load song Die Another Day. Play!" The song's effects managed to kick in as the Xenomorphs burst into the room.

The oni outside the trap wasn't finished gloating. "That room has Spirit Reflect cast on it. Any spell you try to use to escape will just bounce back and hit you."

I turned to Kuugen. "I'm willing to take the risk, tenko-sama."

He turned to me. "I'm not. You're a pretty strong mage for a normal human, but you're nowhere near as powerful as I am. And the oni aren't stupid enough to use a cut-rate Spirit Reflect."

"Why, thank you!" The oni outside actually sounded pleased. "Yes, we only order the best spells from the Internet."

Kuugen ignored her. "And Toru would be sad if I hurt his English teacher. So I won't risk it."

He motioned to me to be quiet.

So I didn't reply.

Until five minutes had gone by. "So, what's the plan?"

Kuugen waited a moment, listening for... something. When he didn't hear it, he answered, "We get out of this room, find Noboru, and get him away from the oni."

"But you said the Spirit Reflect was too strong for us to break through it."

He smiled. "We'll just get the god in charge of this area to command the door to open. A god's kotodama trumps all magic." He pulled out a cellphone.

"You have the local god's phone number?"

"Of course! But Mubyou's just a substitute god."

"Oh, well, it's perfectly reasonable for you to have a substitute god's phone number."

"Do you want to stand here and mock me some more, or do you want to get out of this closet now?"

"... Call the god."

--
Rob Kelk

Kazuki and both Mitsukis stared as the twins in grey biker leathers put their heads together and muttered rapidly back and forth, just too softly to be understood.  "What do you think they're..." Kazuki began when suddenly the two men nodded at each other, clapped, barked something in English together, and then stood upright and turned their attention back to their small band.

"We've figured it out," the one on the left said.

"We're actually both the same person," the one on the right continued.

"But we got forked into two parallel processes when we entered this microskein of universes," the lefthand one explained.

"Or perhaps divided into two parallel wave functions is a better way of putting it."

"Either way, once you collapse the probability function of your two universes..."

"...we'll collapse back into a single individual..."

"...and everything will be fine!" they concluded in unison, then looked at each other and grinned.

"That was fun!" one said.

"Now I understand why the Weasley twins did that all the time," the other said with a smirk.

Mitsuki Sanada leaned toward her dimensional counterpart Mitsuki Rara.  "If we ever start talking like that, Rara, I'm shooting you first, and then myself, got it?"

Rara nodded soberly.

Edit:  Corrected title to the version which is apparently official, fixed spelling error.

-- Bob
---------
I'd forgotten about that one. I thought I've seen the first couple of episdoes before; though it might have been something with a similar setup.

Still, this has me thinking... in directions I've not gone in a while. Thanx for that, Bob.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
You're welcome! My favorite way of describing this show is Tenchi Does Evangelion, which is essentially what it is -- the Tenchi Muyo production team's take on some of the same ideas behind Evangelion. With a twist of lime, of course.
-- Bob
---------
BTW, are we going to get an update on the master list sooner or later, Bob?
I collected all the new stuff as of about a week ago, but haven't gotten around to modifying my master copies of the two posts. And now we have a few more since then. When time allows... it's been busy both at home and at work, and it's hard to edit while commuting... (at least if you're driving, like I am. If I were still taking the train to NYC, as I did 23 years ago, it would be a different story.)
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:You're welcome! My favorite way of describing this show is Tenchi Does Evangelion, which is essentially what it is -- the Tenchi Muyo production team's take on some of the same ideas behind Evangelion. With a twist of lime, of course.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I collected all the new stuff as of about a week ago, but haven't gotten around to modifying my master copies of the two posts. And now we have a few more since then. When time allows... it's been busy both at home and at work, and it's hard to edit while commuting... (at least if you're driving, like I am. If I were still taking the train to NYC, as I did 23 years ago, it would be a different story.)
Ah, wakata.  Just checking.

*chuckles* When I first started reading that last bit, I thought Doug had dicovered the effect of Weird Al's "I Think I'm A Clone Now."
DeputyJones Wrote:*chuckles* When I first started reading that last bit, I thought Doug had dicovered the effect of Weird Al's "I Think I'm A Clone Now."
heh, I suggested a 'Multiple Man' style power for 'I Think I'm a Clone Now' long ago.  8)
Another song power I suggested along that line was 'Doublevision' by Foreigner, which was to split Doug in two for the song's duration (but when he recombined at the end, he ends up with the combined injuries/fatigue of both of him)
-----
"There's just one thing I want to know," I said conversationally,
holding the flat steady as Jim nailed it in place..

"Mm?" he said around the nails he held in his teeth. Putting
down the hammer, he opened his mouth to let them fall into his
hand, then looked up at me. "What's that?" He stood, and a pair
of stagehands rushed in to dress and decorate this part of the
red, white and blue set. Slipping the nails into a pocket and
the hammer into his belt, he took out his pipe and lit it as I
tried to compose a response that didn't include the kind of
profanity that just wasn't used in polite company during this
era.

I nodded in the general direction of the two men sitting on the
porch of the former farmhouse which housed the Inn's facilities.
They were chatting animatedly between themselves as the preparations
for the next day's show swirled around them. "Why do you put up
with those two? Danny's show business scum of the lowest order.
I'm all too familiar with the type -- I grew up around them. And
you *know* Ted's trying to steal Linda from you, just like he
stole Lila." Getting Jim and Linda to formalize their
engagement was the accomplishment I was most proud of during this
stopover, and I'd be damned if I let a balding horsefaced beanpole
of a dancer ruin that because he couldn't find a girl of his own.
Again. With or without the help of his slimy agent buddy.

"Well, now," Jim said thoughtfully as he puffed on his pipe.
"There's one thing you need to know about Ted and me, Doug. We
go back a long ways together. And honestly I owe my success
in show business to him. I'd've been just another two-bit
crooner looking for work if we hadn't teamed up all those years
ago." He puffed some more, and I waited. "I guess I'm saying
that now that Linda's wearing my ring, I'm willing to cut him a
little more slack, for friendship's sake." He gestured with the
pipe, pointing at me with the stem. "Not a lot, mind you, I did
learn my lesson with Lila. But if it makes him happy to try to
take Linda from me, who am I to deny him?" He gave me a lopsided
grin. "Long as it's me she's standing next to at the altar in six
months, that is."

I shook my head. "You're a far more forgiving man than I am,
Jim. If it were *my* fiancée he was sniffing around, I'd break
both his kneecaps and dump him in an alley in the Bowery." I
looked around at the Connecticut countryside that surrounded us.
"I'd make the trip special, just for him," I added as Jim raised
an eyebrow.

He laughed, replaced his pipe, and slapped me on the back. "I
guess I should be glad Linda and I have you as a guardian angel,
then. Ted's not going to get anywhere, but it's good to know
that if he goes over the line we've got you there."

"You'd better believe it," I muttered, then added, "C'mon, we've
got to finish rigging the stage for Ted and Linda's fireworks
dance."

(Edit:  Corrected spelling of "Lila".)

-- Bob
---------
Nice Holiday Inn bit (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034862/), but you spelled Lila wrong.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Ah, mea culpa. Did it from memory, without consulting IMDB. I'll correct that.
-- Bob
---------
Good Lord, I even heard that dialogue in Bing Crosby's voice. Nicely done, Bob.
EDIT: Now all you need to do is another microstep to "White Christmas" for that appropriate sense of deja vu. And then you can follow it up with two steps to "Rio Bravo" and "El Dorado."
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Urrrrrgh.  Now I've gotta look up Holiday Inn to find out how it goes without Doug.  Ah, well.  The quiet interventions are nice -- I don't do characterization well enough to write them, but I can appreciate reading them.  
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13