Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: NanoSteps Brainstorming 2 - Stepping Out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(Epsilon inflicted this one on me; all I did was re-work it into a nanostep...)

"So why don't we just ride some of these eagles and drop the ring into the volcano from above?"

"Douglas, one does not simply flock into Mordor."

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hazard

Two explanations I've heard for that Rob is that 1) the eagles are a polity of their own and might have other concerns, or been restricted in their actions by the Valar as, IIRC, the eagles are maiar, or 2) Sauron would deploy his own fliers against this rather obvious ploy, which would risk giving him his damn Ring back.

Because, well, I doubt Doug would leave it there.
Why would he even start there, when he could carry it himself with any number of flight songs, melt it himself with the minizilla transformation's atomic dragonbreath from Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla, tap it with Maxwell's Silver Hammer, etc. etc. LoTR is somewhat lacking in plausible threats to a powerful and experienced superhuman like Doug, even the 'flee or die' enemies like Durin's Bane or the Nazgul don't sound like good matchups unless they have surprise and numbers, or some handicap to help.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
... I think those specific song examples are wrong, actually.

(checks Arsenal thread, last update was 2007 and wiki is a blank page without javascript, runs out of memory with. Maxwell's Silver Hammer is at least listed as an offense song, but I don't know if it's dodge-or-be-permakilled like I was thinking.)

Still, Black Hole Sun should be effective at destroying just about anything smallish, though, and there's at least Supersonic Man, I'm A Pioneer and Ray Of Light for fly-too-fast-to-intercept songs.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
Maxwell's Silver Hammer is at least listed as an offense song, but I don't know if it's dodge-or-be-permakilled like I was thinking.
From my archive copy of the Arsenal:
Quote:Maxwell's Silver Hammer, The Beatles.  Creates a "dancing" chrome hammer which he can direct from a distance.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
That was a tough fight. A damn tough fight. But the Warrior was dead. Now we just needed to clean up the scum left behind.

"No, this can't be happening. I won't be defeated by mere BANDITS!" I sighed at hearing that.

"Ugly Jack, it's vaguely cute that you think you're the hero of this story, but you're not. You caused most of the pointless suffering on this planet for the past few years, after all."

"SHUT UP! I'M A HERO!" I covered the distance between me and the Hyperion CEO within a second, maybe two. Lifting him up, I began screaming in his face.

"YOU WERE EVIL THE WHOLE TIME! Only the bad guys are convinced that they're the good guys. So shut up and die quietly."

"Damn straight. Hey, Doug, mind putting him down so I can put a bullet through his skull?" I did so, and Axton executed Handsome Jack.

"Hey, did you just a Hyperion gun to kill the Hyperion CEO?" Axton checked, then chuckled.

"Guess I did. Irony, eh?"
"Um, Sanguoir-sensei?" I looked up.

"Ah, Nagasumi-kun. Come in." My eyebrows raised as Sun followed him in. With expressions suggesting exasperation, they sat down at the two chairs I kept in my office for visitors.

Oh, hell. They only ever visited my office together when one of the other adults in their lives did something stupid, and as the only reliable adult in their lives, they needed my aid.

Looking at the engaged couple before me, I sighed as I clasped my hands on the desk.

"All right, you two. What fresh hell has landed in your laps this time, and who's fault is it?"
Note: I've watched the series up to episode 7 by now, and I have to say, those two definitely need a reliable, sane adult in their lives. Pity they got Doug instead. [Image: banana-dance.gif] I kid, I kid. But Doug's tough enough to fight off every assassin the various mermaid yakuza gangs are gonna send after him once he finds out Sun is a mermaid (which in inevitable, given Doug's luck).
Quote:Terrace wrote:
"Um, Sanguoir-sensei?" I looked up.

"Ah, Nagasumi-kun. Come in." My eyebrows raised as Sun followed him in. With expressions suggesting exasperation, they sat down at the two chairs I kept in my office for visitors.

Oh, hell. They only ever visited my office together when one of the other adults in their lives did something stupid, and as the only reliable adult in their lives, they needed my aid.

Looking at the engaged couple before me, I sighed as I clasped my hands on the desk.

"All right, you two. What fresh hell has landed in your laps this time, and who's fault is it?"
Spoiler [+]
My Bride Is A Mermaid

Note: I've watched the series up to episode 7 by now, and I have to say, those two definitely need a reliable, sane adult in their lives. Pity they got Doug instead. Smile I kid, I kid. But Doug's tough enough to fight off every assassin the various mermaid yakuza gangs are gonna send after him once he finds out Sun is a mermaid (which in inevitable, given Doug's luck).
You haven't gotten to the bit where the mermaid's magic come into play yet, have you...
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Quote:Jorlem wrote:
You haven't gotten to the bit where the mermaid's magic come into play yet, have you...
Not yet. But I'm confident that Doug's abilities, while similar at first glance (just saw episode 8!), contain enough differences to make the mermaids go "What the fuck is he?" O_o 
Quote:Terrace wrote:
Not yet. But I'm confident that Doug's abilities, while similar at first glance (just saw episode 8!), contain enough differences to make the mermaids go "What the fuck is he?" O_o 
I think episode 8 is where what I am referring to is first revealed.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Quote:
Quote:I think episode 8 is where what I am referring to is first revealed.
Yeah, thinking about it, that's exactly what would make the locals' brains crash. Plus, Sun would be vaguely frightened of what could happen if she sang the Song of Heroes within earshot of Doug. Would it be a synergistic effect? Would explosions happen? What kind of monster would they create? It'd be Sun's personal Godzilla Threshold. Isn't it great? Smile
On another subject, can you imagine the chaos if Doug accidentally broke the Masquerade for an entire world?  

Hazard

The Masquerade in places like that tends to be made of stuff stronger than concrete. It has to be, given the abuse it comes under with even a cursory glance at the world...
Remember the "My Little Pony" nanostep? (No? Go look it up, then.)

Here's some stuff that I'm sure Doug would try... once. Well, maybe not the last panel. (He's already done the "font of arcane or magical energy" one at least twice.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Three times, loosely speaking: His first time using a node, in DW1; all his futzing around with the node under MegaTokyo in DW2; and "drinking from the fire hose" in DW5.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Three times, loosely speaking: His first time using a node, in DW1; all his futzing around with the node under MegaTokyo in DW2; and "drinking from the fire hose" in DW5.
I expect that last one has made him much more circumspect about the sorts of spells he attempts to "plug in" to rather large nodes, particularly of rather... unknown existing "tamperings". At least, any spell that makes him into a power conduit for someone else.
"The last time I did something like that with that sort of power source, it took divine intervention to survive it... and I'd prefer not to owe those sorts of favors, if you don't mind."
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Actually, if he didn't learn from the first time... but he did; he learned, "Don't slurp an entire node, even a tiny one, in one gulp, because it does bad things to a magic-user. Never mind that it all came out well in the end." Or, from another point of view, don't try to stuff ten pounds of magic into a five-pound idiot.
-- Bob
---------
I resisted the urge to facepalm.  "You two have snarled up this timeline so thoroughly that I can't get out of it.  So here's the deal.  I will help you fix and maintain that car of yours.  You will undo as many of your screw-ups as are necessary to let me open an interdimensional gate."  I fixed the two of them -- white-haired scientist and teenager both -- with the sternest glare I could.  "Or, gods help me, I will spend the next eighty or so years of my practically-immortal lifespan making the rest of your lives as close to a living hell as I possibly can."
-- Bob
---------
I resisted the urge to facepalm.  "You two have snarled up this timeline so thoroughly that I can't get out of it.  So here's the deal.  I will help you fix and maintain that car of yours.  You will undo as many of your screw-ups as are necessary to let me open an interdimensional gate."  I fixed the two of them -- white-haired scientist and teenager both -- with the sternest glare I could.  "Or, gods help me, I will spend the next eighty or so years of my practically-immortal lifespan making the rest of your lives as close to a living hell as I possibly can."
Spoiler [+]
The Back To The Future Trilogy
Please tell me that you are including the BttF point and click adventure game in this.
-----
Having never played it, I can't say.
-- Bob
---------
Having never played it, I can't say.
The timeline would be an even bigger mess, to say the least.  Off the top of my head, they end up turning 1985 into a gangster run town, and later into a direct reference to 1984, and at one point the town ends up as an old west ghost town, IIRC. 
-----
Sounds like the timeline Doug's in, then.
-- Bob
---------
"I'm a Vault Hunter? Tell me, what's a Vault Hunter?"
Specifically that one.... the story's much better in the second.
"And this, Frederick," I shouted at the tuxedoed doctor as I leapt into the crowd after his frenzied monster, "is why we do dress rehearsals BEFORE doing an Fred Astaire dance number with our creation!"
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Ha!

"PUUUIN ONNA RIZZZZZ!"
-- Bob
---------
"Ah, another day of defending humanity from horrors from the stars."

"Doug, STRIKE-1 is preparing to sortie. Now head over to the hangar and do that voodoo of yours."

"Yes sir. System load song, Die Another Day."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13