Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Fluff] The Ravenmoon Tarot Deck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Bump.

So, any thoughts for any of the other Coins? (Keeping in mind that Noah is already on a trump.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
4 of Coins: Lover of material wealth, hoarding without sharing

Rider-Waite: Miser on his throne

Fenspace: Colonel Stephen Caldwell in full dress uniform, with coins for rank insignia and uniform epaulettes

5 of Coins: Loss of faith, resources, a lover (usually a breakup), personal security

Fenspace: Noah and Haruhi, back to back, Stellvia between them with coins replacing five of the station's modules

(Pre-OGJ: A spacer-car takes off into the upper atmosphere, while a family looks on from their home on the ground below.)

7 of Coins: Commitment to a life's work or dreams. 'Success is the journey, not the destination'.

Fenspace: Miranda going into warp, leaving a spiral trail of coins in her wake.

8 of Coins: An artisan at work, the result exhibited as trophies. Employment, commission, craftsmanship, skill.

Fenspace: A Space Rock with a domed city embedded in it

9 of Coins: Financial independance, self-reliance, the ability to enjoy luxury.

Fenspace: Shinji Ikari, looking down on Earth from the window of some sort of space station
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Shinji is an "Infinities" character, so we should find somebody else for the 9 of Coins... and I think I like Foxboy's suggestion of Vulpine Fury for the 8 of Coins.
--
Rob Kelk

I keep thinking Jupiter Mining Corporation (and Jeph Antilles) should be in the Coins somewhere. I'll let you guys duke out which rank.

Myk-El probably should get a card somewhere, on account of him training people in space safety and specifically Handwavium Handling.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Warringer

I'd like to see Walter Cronkite in the Cups set.

As original he was one of those who inspired people with his reports. Of either the Moon missions or other things.

And his copy does the same, yet more... People in Fenspace trust that man to tell the truth.

Ace Dreamer

Not sure I should say this, but...

I'd see Brains once he become Dr Scure (that's 'Dr Orlando Brains Scure') as fitting The Hermit. But, he is still hidden, so it is likely Mr O'Neill might be used.

Of course, if O'Neill gets nudged out of the Tarot, does that mean he ends up 'second best'? [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
JFerio Wrote:I keep thinking Jupiter Mining Corporation (and Jeph Antilles) should be in the Coins somewhere. I'll let you guys duke out which rank.

Myk-El probably should get a card somewhere, on account of him training people in space safety and specifically Handwavium Handling.

Let's put Myk-El at Six of Coins - prudence, responsibility, sound judgment, and the work of the hands all fit him. And a couple of obvious candidates came to me for Page and Queen, now that I've had a chance to look through the mystical meanings of the suit.

Here's the recap of Coins/Pentacles/Diamonds, with a half-dozen cards still unassigned - we'll go on to the other two suits once this one is finished.

The suit of Coins, Pentacles, or Diamonds is associated with the classical element of Earth. The Ravenmoon deck gives the solid rock of wealth to this suit, including non-material wealth in its riches.

Ace
:[[Antonio Mendoza], Fenspace's first [[Vitamin Man], trading his goods for whatever he can get.
Mystical meaning: the beginning of bounty

;Two
:_______________
Mystical meaning: flexibility, unification

;Three
Mystical meaning: vocation, creativity, integration

;Four
:Colonel [[Stephen Caldwell] in full dress uniform, hoarding the wealth of handwavium technology.
Mystical meaning: miserliness

;Five
:[[Noah Scott] and [[Haruhi Suzumiya], backs turned to each other, with [[Great Justice] dividing between them.
Mystical meaning: loss of faith, rejection, pilgrimage

;Six
:[[Myk-El Miller], teaching others how to safely use handwavium so as not to become poorer from the experience.
Mystical meaning: prudence, responsibility, sound judgment, the work of the hands

;Seven
:The USS ''[[Miranda]'' going to FTL.
Mystical meaning: reflection, nurturing the dream

;Eight
:[[Vulpine Fury], in his usual "shop telepresence" persona.
Mystical meaning: skill, attention to detail, working at being remarkable

;Nine
Mystical meaning: refinement, liberation, focus, the path of riches

;Ten
Mystical meaning: loyalty, family, esprit de corps, empathy towards others of the group, celebration, abundance

;Page
:[[Bob Schroeck], tending a field aboard ''[[Grover's Corners]''
Mystical meaning: interested in esotericism, open-minded, agriculturally inclined, savvy about the nature of relationships (particularly within the family), curious, friendly, thoughtful, resourceful

;Knight
Mystical meaning: pragmatic, industrious, one-dimensional, a tendency to be pushy or bossy, fiercely protective, prefers the tried and true way, endless work

;Queen
:[[Haruhi Suzumiya]
Mystical meaning: codependent, cares for her people with equal compassion and concern, surrounded with luxury and beauty, able to discern the outcome of certain events, in her glory during festivals, believes everyone has special intuition which should never be neglected,

;The King
Mystical meaning: gifted in business, contemplative, stable, accepting of responsibility, protective, controlling, has an enterprising spirit... too bad so many BNF are already in the Trumps
--
Rob Kelk

Three.... Nekomi Motor Club?

Nine might be Ford Sierra.... tuning her blue namesake car. (Refinement of a precise instrument, the automobile itself being liberation, and being her source of cash)

Ten... A Ninja team coming home from a succesful mission.

Knight.... Space Patrol officer, perhaps. Or another cop of some sort.

HRogge

Not sure Cathy was "visible" enough to be on this deck... and the rest of my characters doesn't exist when the deck is created.
Dartz Wrote:Three.... Nekomi Motor Club?

Nine might be Ford Sierra.... tuning her blue namesake car. (Refinement of a precise instrument, the automobile itself being liberation, and being her source of cash)

Ten... A Ninja team coming home from a succesful mission.

Knight.... Space Patrol officer, perhaps. Or another cop of some sort.

I like Ford for Nine of Coins. (adds to offline copy of list)

The ninja team might be good for Ten, but can we squeeze that many people onto one card?

I'm not sure about these ideas for Three or Knight... hmmmmm...
--
Rob Kelk

There's bound to be plenty of space..... if any of the other complex illustrations are clear enough to understand.

The Knight may have been my response to getting fined earlier today.

Recap:

The suit of Coins, Pentacles, or Diamonds is associated with the classical element of Earth. The Ravenmoon deck gives the solid rock of wealth to this suit, including non-material wealth in its riches.

Ace
:[[Antonio Mendoza], Fenspace's first [[Vitamin Man], trading his goods for whatever he can get.

;Two
Mystical meaning: flexibility, unification

;Three
Mystical meaning: vocation, creativity, integration

;Four
:Colonel [[Stephen Caldwell] in full dress uniform, hoarding the wealth of handwavium technology.

;Five
:[[Noah Scott] and [[Haruhi Suzumiya], backs turned to each other, with [[Great Justice] dividing between them.

;Six
:[[Myk-El Miller], teaching others how to safely use handwavium so as not to become poorer from the experience.

;Seven
:The USS ''[[Miranda]'' going to FTL.

;Eight
:[[Vulpine Fury], in his usual "shop telepresence" persona.

;Nine
:[[Ford Sierra], tuning her namesake blue car.

;Ten
:A [[Ninja] team coming home from a succesful mission.

;Page
:[[Bob Schroeck], tending a field aboard ''[[Grover's Corners]''

;Knight
Mystical meaning: pragmatic, industrious, one-dimensional, a tendency to be pushy or bossy, fiercely protective, prefers the tried and true way, endless work

;Queen
:[[Haruhi Suzumiya]

;The King
Mystical meaning: gifted in business, contemplative, stable, accepting of responsibility, protective, controlling, has an enterprising spirit... too bad so many BNF are already in the Trumps
--
Rob Kelk

Two of coins: Mal Fnord and Chris Marsden, shaking hands, with Soviet and American flags waving in the background.

King, if anyone at this point, should be Noah Scott. (Hrm. Or, in light of recent story developments, Sylia/Jet?)

Knight... A dwarf. Whoever's the leader of the Morians.

Three: Hrm... this should have something to do with a Convention.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
The deck is compiled long before 'Sylia' first makes an appearance in 2016

I can't really propose an alternative. Maybe Anthony Esposito?

As for Three, how about a shot of Haruhi's speech at SOS-Con?

Unless anyone has any objections, that completes the Coins. http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Tarot_Deck]So they're on the wiki, which can be edited if required. Next up: Cups. Requoting the relevant bits from up-thread:
WikiPedia Wrote:The suit of cups is one of the four suits of Latin-suited playing cards, such as tarot. The suit of hearts is derived from the suit of cups. These are sometimes referred to as chalices as well as cups. The element of cups is water, and the suit of cups pertains to situations and events of an emotional nature. As such, when the tarot is used in divination, many cups signify an emotional issue or love situation, or some event that affects the querent emotionally. The watery astrological signs are Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces. Additionally, cups were the symbol of the clergy in feudal times, and thus cup cards can also be interpreted as having to do with spiritual or religious matters.

The suit represents the First Estate (the Clergy).

Divinatory and occult meanings

Ace of Cups: Aces always indicate beginnings. Here the ace of cups indicates a new beginning of an emotional nature. It can signify the birth of a child, or the beginning of a love situation that affects us deeply. It is generally a card of happiness, and the beginning of many blessings.

Two of Cups: Two of any suit indicates duality. Here it indicates two minds and hearts coming together and functioning as one. The card portrays a young man and a woman each bearing a cup, as if presenting it to one another. Above is the red lion of strength and courage.

Three of Cups: The three Graces dance and cavort, each maiden bearing a cup. It indicates a time of merriment and celebration.

Four of Cups: A young man sits under a tree. One thinks of Buddha under the bodhi tree, sitting crosslegged, but this youth is not serene. He seems dissatisfied with the three cups before him. A hand from a cloud offers him a fourth cup, but the youth shows no interest. It indicates a period of ennui and boredom, where nothing seems to be satisfying.

Five of Cups: A hooded figure with bowed head seems to mourn the 3 cups spilled before him. Behind the cloaked figure stand two cups, upright. The 5 of any suit can be considered difficult. Here it indicates hopes that have been dashed, or mourning over something that is lost. The hooded figure remains unaware of the two cups still standing behind—so the situation is not completely hopeless.

Six of Cups: Two youths play in a garden, surrounded by six cups. This card can indicate happy memories, as well as a certain clinging to the past and how things used to be. It can also indicate an invitation or gift coming from someone in your past.

Seven of Cups: A young person sees seven cups among the clouds and visions therein. On one cup is the perfect lover or mate all people idealize. Another cup shows riches, another the cloaked soul of the querent about to be revealed, another castles. Other cups show a red dragon of inflamed passion and emotion, as well as a snake arising from another cup. The card is a caution against over idealizing your situation and getting your head lost among the clouds. Your dreams need a firm foundation in order to take root. Do not build castles in the air and fantasize without taking responsibility for your actions.

Eight of Cups: Eight cups are arranged in a row. A figure leaves these cups behind as if beginning a journey. An indifferent moon looks down upon the traveler. The traveler is in a good situation where there is much promise and much to offer, but chooses to set out for the unknown. It indicates a restlessness and wanderlust as well as overlooking the good we already possess, in the hopes of finding something else.

Nine of Cups: This is known as the "wish" card. A well fed, self satisfied individual sits with nine cups behind. It indicates a table of plenty and getting everything you desire. It is the wish card, meaning your wish will come true.

Ten of Cups: A husband and wife join arms looking up at the rainbow over their house. Two young children dance. Ten cups are seen among the rainbow. It is a card of happiness, completion of all plans to your satisfaction, and a card of fulfillment and a sense of wholeness. A happy marriage and family life.

Page of Cups: A dreamy youth holds a cup from wherein a fish pokes its head. This indicates a versatile individual, one who have the gift of intuition and insight. The card indicates a youth with a love for the arts, poetry and music and may be very fond of dancing. It indicates ease in ones affairs as well as news of enjoyment and entertainment.

Knight of Cups: A young man on a horse with a winged helmet offers a cup. The card can indicate a sensitive male, unmarried, a suitor who seeks the hand of a lady. He is honest and truthful, as well as is heartfelt. It can also indicate a matter of an emotional nature that is occurring in the querent's life.

Queen of Cups: A queen on her throne at the seaside holds a cup she looks into. She sees visions within. It indicates a woman who has the gift of intuition and is able to offer good advice. She also may harbour a secret she is willing to share with you.

King of Cups: A king holding a scepter floats upon the water. It indicates someone who is kind, even tempered, balanced and wise. He may be a member of the clergy, or a counselor, professor or psychologist, doctor. He is a symbol of quiet strength and is calming and reassurring.
ECSNorway Wrote:Cups = Water = Spiritualism

Fenspace Symbol: The Milky Way. Our aspiration.
(Are we re-naming this suit to "Galaxies," then?)
M Fnord Wrote:Cups = Philosophy and Spiritualism
Ace: A crystal chalice filled with handwavium.
(So that's one card done, thirteen to go. To continue the theme, this chalice should be shown somewhere in every card in this suit.)
robkelk Wrote:Similarly to the above, make this the suit of the thinkers, the dreamers, the entertainers, and the others whose stock in trade is ideas and memes.

J.Random Filker, The Jason, Leonard da Quirm, the Hacker Underspace as a group... (maybe the folks at Candy Apple Red's, but that might be the wrong sort of entertainment)
--
Rob Kelk

Ace of Cups: Vostok 1

Two of cups: Apollo-Soyuz missions? Two spacecraft docking.

Well, Three of Cups is clearly going to be Endeavour, Discover and Atlantis on Return to Flight. Three graces?

Four of Cups: Ptichka covered in dirt in hanger prior to being 'rescued'

Five of Cups: Challenger

Six of Cups: Apollo

Seven of Cups: Skylab? Orion?

Eight of Cups:

Nine of Cups: Ptichka in Orbit of Gallifrey.

Ten of Cups:

Page of Cups: Too damn soon for Melchizedek.

That's where I run out of ideas.

I was thinking along these lines:

Two: Somebody remind me whether the couple is the same as the couple on The Lovers...

Three: Fenspace already has Three Graces aboard the Fateful Lightning - they're on The High Priestess card along with their gestalt-self Fate. Alternately, the Professor's three androids could serve well here.

Four: Do we have any named groundbounders yet?

Five: This card seems custom-made for Island One, but that station hasn't been developed very well... yet.

Seven: Over-analysis, "castles in the air"... Sounds like http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Government]the Ministry of Magic to me.
Page: Pick a Filker, any Filker.

Queen: Too bad the deck was released before Takami "woke up", and nobody knows about Dee's abilities at this point either.
--
Rob Kelk

Bah.... it's been long enough that I forgot about that one!

In my defence, I was on my lunchbreak.

The king could be 'Max Armblessed, Jet's predecessor as commander of the Engel Gruppe, who was killed at SerenityCon. A Martial Artist, an instructor and a decent human being.
robkelk Wrote:Three: Fenspace already has Three Graces aboard the Fateful Lightning - they're on The High Priestess card along with their gestalt-self Fate. Alternately, the Professor's three androids could serve well here.
If we really want a tie to space travel, there's the other http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Three_Graces]Three Graces as well.

Usually we have trouble coming up with one idea for a card, and here I've offered three... Decisions, decisions.
--
Rob Kelk

How much in the public eye are the Shuttle-Graces' virtual avatars? I had the image of them greeting a new Shuttle the way Ptichka did for Columbia in Bootup. It could work for Ace (new beginnings) or Three (a little more solemn than the usual Three of Cups, but no less joyous for it).
Nothing's been set in electrons yet, so I'm going to say their avatars are reasonably-well-known.
--
Rob Kelk

Three of Cups: The virtual avatars of Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour standing in front of an unidentified Space Shuttle's main engine block.

Got to remember to get the cups on the card somewhere...
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
M Fnord Wrote:Got to remember to get the cups on the card somewhere...
Position it right and you can use the engine nozzles as the cups.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
A recap, plus suggestions for Page and King.

Text in italics is a placeholder and guide for a nonexistent entry. (I still want to add the Hacker Underspace as a group and Leonard da Quirm somewhere, but I don't know where...)

Ace: A crystal chalice filled with handwavium.

Two: The Lovers (Ben and Gina), toasting the opening of their base on 36 Atalantae.

Three: The virtual avatars of Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour standing in front of an unidentified Space Shuttle's main engine block.

Four: A young man sits under a tree. One thinks of Buddha under the bodhi tree, sitting crosslegged, but this youth is not serene. He seems dissatisfied with the three cups before him. A hand from a cloud offers him a fourth cup, but the youth shows no interest. It indicates a period of ennui and boredom, where nothing seems to be satisfying.

Five: The administrator of Island One gazing forlornly at three empty cups, while two people from the Chicken Ranch sip from two other half-full cups behind him.

Six: Two youths play in a garden, surrounded by six cups. This card can indicate happy memories, as well as a certain clinging to the past and how things used to be. It can also indicate an invitation or gift coming from someone in your past.

Seven: Members of the Ministry of Magic, debating which cup to partake of while showing signs of thirst.

Eight: Eight cups are arranged in a row. A figure leaves these cups behind as if beginning a journey. An indifferent moon looks down upon the traveler. The traveler is in a good situation where there is much promise and much to offer, but chooses to set out for the unknown. It indicates a restlessness and wanderlust as well as overlooking the good we already possess, in the hopes of finding something else.

Nine: This is known as the "wish" card. A well fed, self satisfied individual sits with nine cups behind. It indicates a table of plenty and getting everything you desire. It is the wish card, meaning your wish will come true.

Ten: A husband and wife join arms looking up at the rainbow over their house. Two young children dance. Ten cups are seen among the rainbow. It is a card of happiness, completion of all plans to your satisfaction, and a card of fulfillment and a sense of wholeness. A happy marriage and family life.

Page: Michelle Delacroix, a cup with an engraved fish design resting on her keyboard. (Unless somebody would prefer a different filker, keeping in mind that Hoshikage Kouyou hasn't debuted yet.)

Knight: A young man on a horse with a winged helmet offers a cup. The card can indicate a sensitive male, unmarried, a suitor who seeks the hand of a lady. He is honest and truthful, as well as is heartfelt. It can also indicate a matter of an emotional nature that is occurring in the querent's life.

Queen: A queen on her throne at the seaside holds a cup she looks into. She sees visions within. It indicates a woman who has the gift of intuition and is able to offer good advice. She also may harbour a secret she is willing to share with you.

King: The Jason in his garden.
--
Rob Kelk

I have been very tempted to add Vykos and/or someone of his vampire family in the cups (the cups in question filled, of course, with blood), but since they are builders and biologists, I really do not see any place were they fit in the cups. Because while Knight Oscar is unmarried, "honest and truthful"... he delights in conspiracies, secrets and melodramatic rumors.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5