Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Looking for a fic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Okay, here's another one that I lost in that thumbdrive crash.

Ranma (mostly) fic, incomplete but several chapters long, a round-robin written by the "Bet" crew IIRC. Ranma has the wishing sword, and wishes for everyone's moms to come back. Gregg "Metroanime" Sharp's author avatar Grey(lle) is summoned by the wish because it requires a manual intervention to effect, involving Ranma offering his own energy to get it to work. The formerly-dead moms appear, and the fiancees basically pick them up and run off with them while Ranma, drained by the power of the wish, collapses on the ground. Nodoka, also summoned by the wish, comes across him and after he demonstrates the curse and they figure out their relationship, brings him home with her. For some reason I can't recall, the apotheosized Skysaber, who identifies himself as a Saotome child from another universe, appears and accidentally grants another wish that among other things turns a wrecked Ifurita unit in Nodoka's basement into a real Ranko. (Nodoka, it turns out, is an adventurer archaeologist and has all manner of bizarre kipple stashed in her basement.) And in the last extant chapter that I'm aware of, Nodoka takes her now two children to meet up with her (grand)father, who is Indiana Jones. Meanwhile, Ranma's fiancees eventually notice that they abandoned him in all the excitement, and when they get back and discover him gone, believe that he put so much of himself into giving them their mothers back that he basically melted away. The Kunos and the Tendos go to Hawaii to help their mothers recover (and Kodachi and Kasumi have a bonding moment over missing out on Ranma); the Amazons and Ukyo go to a closer beach and Shampoo and Ukyo similarly bond over their loss.

I know that's a terribly vague description , but hopefully it'll ring a bell for someone.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I have no clue what that is, but it sounds like fun.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Was this it - When you wish upon a sword?

RMH
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein
Now why couldn't I remember that title? Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
I found a fic a couple of weeks ago but lost track of it again, I think either on Spacebattles or SufficientVelocity. A self-insert in a DC universe has a blue power ring, but they are lousy at using it effectively. The character looks like some sort of alien and keeps referring to himself as a super-villain and playing up super-villain tropes because he keeps breaking laws by healing people without a medical license. No one takes him seriously as a villain, but all his attempts to make the world a better place apparently tend to have unintended consequences. It featured an intervention by Superman trying to talk him into being a proper hero, which started out hilariously but went darker as issues of just how damaged this character is came to the surface.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
Not a fanfic, but looking for a webcomic I'd started reading a laptop and several browser crashes ago... The main story is set in a fantasy world as the Big Bad starts doing their stuff, and then you get occasional glimpses of the 20 Minutes In The Future World, at the full immersion VR company where they're trying to figure out what's going wrong with their VR Fantasy World game. And that's what I remember from a few years ago and suddenly got the desire to find again.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
That 'Bad Guy' didn't happen to be a girl who had a weird ability to cheat at games and was struggling not to?
Not that I recall, but that sounds like it could be interesting even if not the one I'm looking for. 
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
BA's suggestion would be Not a Villain and it is at navcomic.com

Otherwise I have no clue.

Ah, yeah I've got signed copies of Not a Villain, the mystery one isn't that. Sad
Woohoo! Put it up to the twitter hivemind and found it, Guilded Age
-----

Woot found it. Silicon Knight in Tokyo3 An EVA/Iron Man crossover.

One of Arthur Hansen's works hence why I ended up losing it since my bookmarks just go straight to his profile. There isn't as much to it than I remember but at least now I can keep an eye on it.
Cool. I'll have to check it out after work tonight.
-- Bob
---------
Okay, some years ago I read a Buffy/SG(1/A) crossover in which Dawn through some means I can't remember leaves Sunnydale and wakes up in a forest next to a strange metal ring that's standing on end. She encounters a group of refugees, discovers she can command gates to dial without use of a dialing device, and manages to describe a bicycle well enough to get someone to build her one (with a fake portable dialing device on it, so people will try to steal the bike instead of trying to steal her), and has some adventures for a few years before the Stargate Program runs across her.
I think it was a Stargate Atlantis crossover with her arriving before Atlantis was rediscovered. My Search-Fu is failing at both TTH and fanfic.net.
-----

I have never encountered a fic of that description, but now I want to read it if you find it again.
-- Bob
---------
Pretty sure that's it. 
-----

CaptainBoulanger's writing fics about a superpowered nun now too!
--------------------------------
Je ne suis pas une Intelligence Artificielle Turing. Je suis Charlie.

I've been asked if I know of any Ron-centered Potter-fanfic. I'm quite certain that about a month ago I ran across a story wherein Ron gets Peggy Sued back to book one. Did anyone else run across that and remember where it is? Or have recommendations for good Ron focused stories? 
-----

Quote:LilFluff wrote:
I've been asked if I know of any Ron-centered Potter-fanfic. I'm quite certain that about a month ago I ran across a story wherein Ron gets Peggy Sued back to book one. Did anyone else run across that and remember where it is? Or have recommendations for good Ron focused stories? 
I think you're looking for:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/12141684/1/The-Red-Knight
Looking for a Naruto story. Either something goes wrong with the attempt to get the Kyuubi to attack the village or something else was attempted and instead the Kyuubi ends up in a human female form with Uchia traits. I think this may have been written before the Tobi-Obito revelation and she actually took over and reshaped Tobi-Madara's body. Found wandering around later, she is taken in by the Leaf Village and now the Fourth Hokage has to deal with this person they think is Madara Uchia's daughter and also think is quite mad from the abuse her father put her through.

As I remember, it was cracky but worthwhile.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
Fuzzy Logic is what you're looking for. It starts with a time traveling Kyubi going back to the moment before The Yondomi seals her in Naruto and goes from there.
There was either a webcomic or doujin of a Mario AU that I saw years ago, thought was interesting and well done, but was never able to find again to see if it continued. In this AU the Koopas found a prophecy regarding the Mario brothers and set out do something about it, but only managed to snag Luigi. Fast forward to "present day", where Mario has just started to help this Mushroom Kingdom place which is about to be overwhelmed by Bowser and his chief minion, Luigi.

Edit: Also, did the "Dead Fic Wishlist" thread always have "Lost/Dead" in the title?  Does that mean this thread is redundant, or does "lost" mean something different in that case?
----------

Hazard

Dead fics are fics that are uncompleted but no longer updated. Lost fics are fics that are (presumed to be) no longer on the internet.

Most dead fics become lost fics, most lost fics are dead fics, but there's plenty of completed fics that become lost also.
I remember reading a harry Potter story in the last year or so that had a plot point that Dumbledore avoided the consequences of magical oaths by taking them in a name other than his actual name. That inserting "Percival Wulfric" into Albus Brian Dumbledore allowed him to make oaths that only seemed to work. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Doesn't ring a bell, sorry.
-- Bob
---------
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9