Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,884
» Forum posts: 211,855

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 194 online users.
» 2 Member(s) | 190 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Dartz

Latest Threads
Crossovers That Should No...
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: robkelk
45 minutes ago
» Replies: 258
» Views: 16,070
All The Tropes Wiki Proje...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Labster
2 hours ago
» Replies: 136
» Views: 2,673
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Shepherd
6 hours ago
» Replies: 139
» Views: 4,814
Image Thread 28
Last Post: Norgarth
10 hours ago
» Replies: 298
» Views: 10,331
Politics Video Madness II...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Yesterday, 08:09 PM
» Replies: 178
» Views: 33,792
Possible 3D resources thr...
Forum: My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character
Yesterday, 07:57 PM
» Replies: 130
» Views: 6,272
Weird & Interesting scien...
Yesterday, 06:57 PM
» Replies: 105
» Views: 7,904
Video Madness XI
Yesterday, 06:55 PM
» Replies: 148
» Views: 8,329
Dearly Departed of 2024
Last Post: Dartz
Yesterday, 04:10 PM
» Replies: 35
» Views: 1,443
The Trailers Thread III
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
Yesterday, 01:27 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 1,559

Chapter 12 Status
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 09-21-2002, 04:30 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - Replies (1)

I should have posted this when I posted the message in the Shapeshifters conference...
While Chapter 12 is over 130K long at this point, it is not near finished; and now that GURPS Shapeshifters is back in my hands for final draft work, DW2 has to go on a bit of a hiatus. Readers are unlikely to see anything new any time before the holidays.
Sorry...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item

Drunkard's Walk and Metafiction
Posted by: jonathanlennox - 09-20-2002, 11:12 PM - Forum: General DW Chatter - Replies (1)

Something I was pondering -- do any of the worlds that Doug's going to visit in the course of DW actually exist as fictional works in the Warrior's World continuity?
I know that one of the points of DW is to subvert the traditional patterns of the self-insertion fanfic, so I imagine that Doug isn't going to be familiar with the works. But that's not exactly the same question.
Now, given what you've described of Warrior's World Japan, it seems entirely plausible that the history of anime will be largely different. (I can't imagine Bubblegum Crisis being created in anything like the same form, for example.) But it seems like the U.S. is much more convergent.
The one case I'm thinking of in particular is the Valdemar books. They're heroic fantasy, not superheroes, so the existence of metapowers shouldn't directly affect them, I guess. And while Doug may not be a fantasy reader, it wouldn't surprise me if someone had sent him a copy of Mercedes Lackey's CD Heralds, Harpers, and Havoc at some point. Which might (or might not) have clued him in to something odd -- "hey, haven't I heard that song that bard's singing somewhere before..."
If the Valdemar books don't exist in Doug's world, it's going to have a significant ripple effect on the history of filk music, and so alter my entries for the Game Everyone Loves To Play. Which is mostly why I care. :-)

Print this item

I Really Should Modify That Description...
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 09-20-2002, 07:35 PM - Forum: IST/Supers - No Replies

I didn't write GURPS Supers -- just its last chapter and some of the powers. But I had a hand in some of the subsequent supplements.

-- Bob
---------

Print this item

Forum timezone
Posted by: jonathanlennox - 09-20-2002, 05:07 PM - Forum: Forums - Replies (1)

Timestamps on messages seem to be in U.S. Central Daylight (or Eastern Standard) Time. Which is odd, since ezboard's in San Francisco, and Bob's in New Jersey.
Any idea why?

Print this item

Good morning, merry sunshine!
Posted by: jonathanlennox - 09-20-2002, 05:04 PM - Forum: Introductions - Replies (1)

Hi! I guess I'm the first non-prereader to register for the forum.
I'm Jonathan Lennox, I'm slowly working on a Ph.D. in Computer Science, I found out about DW from Bob's posts on the Eyrie Productions forums, I met Bob at AXNY and watched him play Munchkin...
I think that's all.

Print this item

Specialized songs
Posted by: jonathanlennox - 09-20-2002, 04:53 PM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (5)

I posted this about a month ago in the hostedscripts forum. Bob never replied to it, despite my nagging him about it at AXNY, so I figured I'd try again over here. :-)
I just read all of DW II yesterday and today -- I like it very much! (Found out about it from the Eyrie forum; Gryphon's pause in SoS has lead to some exploring outward...)
If I understood the mechanics of Doug's songpower correctly, the first time he hears the song he can tell whether it's going to trigger his powers, but he can't tell what particular power it's going to be. The second and subsequent times, the power activates.
However, it seems like there are likely to be a number of songs that trigger powers that are only useful in specialized circumstances. So does it sometimes happen that a song doesn't seem to do anything the second time it's played, but still is obviously triggering? How does Doug handle this?
I thought of this because it seems like there are a number of songs that could potentially help him (at least on a localized level, to his area of effect) with his goal of freeing Boomers. There are certainly tons of songs about "Freedom" or casting off slavery -- lots of Sixties stuff, traditional Black spirituals, Rush's "Free Will", etc. Many of these could also likely be useful in Doug's homeworld, as anti-mind control and whatnot. But in the absense of any such condition within Doug's area of effect, it's not clear if the songs would do anything.
Another song along the same lines -- "I Get a Kick Out Of You". Would likely cancel out the effects of intoxicants and other such substances ("I get no kick from champagne/cocaine") with, perhaps, a romantic side-effect.
Another interesting area is non-combat intellectual songs -- skills-boosters, effectively. I was thinking of this when I was going over filk music for songs that could generate powers. I don't know if you're familiar with the Oregon duet Echo's Children (www.echoschildren.org), but two of their songs, "Acts of Creation" and "The Word of God", seem like they'd have the interesting effect of boosting creative or scientific work, respectively -- though they may well be invoking a Power to do it, which I imagine Doug would be exceedingly unconfortable about.
It's out-of-period for Doug, but similarly Andy Eigel's Uplift (www.smacdonald.com/pegasus/songs/uplift.html) seems like a booster of technology/engineering skills, which could have interesting effects.

Print this item

Public Knowledge
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 09-20-2002, 02:29 PM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (8)

Okay, just to start things off, I'll reiterate in one place everything I've publicly stated about future destinations in the Walk.
On Permanent Hold:
DW1
Being Written Right Now:
DW3: Sana-chan no Omocha, set in the series Kodomo no Omocha
DW5: Holy, Holy, Holy... Cow! -- set in Ah! My Goddess
Unnumbered: Angel Baby -- set in Neon Genesis Evangelion
Unwritten, but plotted out:
DW10: Walking Into The Storm -- Multi-crossover with Ed Becerra's Legion's Quest metaseries, the movie Zeram, and one other (fan) series to be announced when this is actually written.
In Embryonic Planning Stages:
A Fox In The Hina-House (really bad working title) -- Love Hina
Legion's Quest: Girls, Girls, Girls -- a possible followup to DW10, in collaboration with Ed Becerra
Started But Abandoned:
Harry Potter and the Man From Otherearth
Charmed, I'm Sure -- set in the TV series Charmed (before Pru's death)
An unnamed Step in the world of Buffy The Vampire Slayer
I'm not listing things that I haven't actually started writing in one way or another, as they're not guaranteed to actually go anywhere; things like the Slayers, Well World and Buckaroo Banzai Steps may end up simply being placeholders.

-- Bob
---------

Print this item

The Only Reader-Customizable Superhero..
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 09-20-2002, 02:11 PM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (21)

...at least since DC stopped printing "Dial H for Hero".
Use this conference for discussion of Doug's songs-to-superpowers metatalent, and to ask about or suggest songs for use in future DW installments.
I expect this area will get a lot of use -- fully half the messages on the old hostedscripts board were "what would song X do" and "here's a great idea!" I'm always glad to see posts like that -- a few such suggestions made their ways into DW2, and more will probably end up in future Steps.

-- Bob
---------

Print this item

Access Denied!
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 09-20-2002, 02:07 PM - Forum: Website - Replies (2)

If you're here, then you've almost certainly seen my website already. If not, you can reach it through the "Access Denied!" link at the bottom of any of the forum pages here. This conference is for telling me when things are broken, or stupid, or stupidly broken, or just to tell me to get off my butt and update the main page.

-- Bob
---------

Print this item

Board Structure
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 09-20-2002, 02:05 PM - Forum: Forums - Replies (2)

Okay, to tell the truth, I threw this thing together yesterday at lunchtime with fairly minimal thought as to how to organize it. Do I have too many forum areas? Not enough? Is there something I missed? I considered adding an area for my campaign worlds -- Narth and Narth 2000, Greendale for TFOS -- but I decided against it; should I reconsider?
Let me know what you think. Thanks.

-- Bob
---------

Print this item