| Welcome, Guest |
You have to register before you can post on our site.
|
| Online Users |
There are currently 2588 online users. » 1 Member(s) | 2585 Guest(s) Applebot, Bing, Norgarth
|
| Latest Threads |
Fic Update Thread 64: Wil...
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Norgarth
19 minutes ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 60
|
Undated: She Didn't Bet o...
Forum: Stories
Last Post: robkelk
3 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 19
|
My Apartment Manager is n...
Forum: My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character
Last Post: robkelk
Yesterday, 07:47 PM
» Replies: 191
» Views: 95,979
|
The Dead Dove Locker -- "...
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Mamorien
Yesterday, 04:44 PM
» Replies: 191
» Views: 42,518
|
Fic Update Thread 63: Th...
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Mamorien
Yesterday, 04:36 PM
» Replies: 300
» Views: 26,784
|
2017-11-25: I'm a Displa...
Forum: Stories
Last Post: Mamorien
Yesterday, 04:28 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 1,259
|
All The Tropes Wiki Proje...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
Yesterday, 10:42 AM
» Replies: 109
» Views: 9,407
|
Political Images thread t...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 09:18 AM
» Replies: 256
» Views: 42,638
|
Image dump thread XXXII
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 09:15 AM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 9,616
|
Blatherings on a trip to ...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Dartz
09-27-2026, 05:30 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 7,059
|
|
|
| Two Dead Links in the Concordance |
|
Posted by: DHBirr - 12-08-2018, 09:55 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk S: Heart of Steel
- Replies (2)
|
 |
As the title says. I'm getting "This site can't be reached ... server IP address could not be found" when I click on the links in this entry:
Quote:12-jo 1K
Standard Japanese real estate notation for an apartment with a separate kitchen(ette) and bedroom/sitting room, measuring about 200 square feet (or about 18.5 square meters, for my readers who don't use Imperial). "Jo" is an unit of measurement equal to one tatami mat. (And in Tokyo the standard mat is of course just a bit smaller than the one used elsewhere, because rents are based on the number of jo.)
In New York City this would be called a "studio apartment". If you're curious about how Japanese apartments are arranged and how they differ from American (or European) apartments, check out this page and this one.
I don't know if any other links have gone dead; I only checked these.
(I wanted to look at them because I was watching Hyouka the other day, and there's a scene in a room, estimated by the narrator as 15 square meters, of Chitanda's Big Fancy House. I wanted to see again what ordinary Japanese fit into an area only a little larger than that almost-completely empty reception room.)
-----
Up, lad, up! We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!
|
|
|
| RIP George H.W. Bush |
|
Posted by: robkelk - 12-01-2018, 08:31 AM - Forum: Politics and Other Fun
- Replies (11)
|
 |
George H.W. Bush: June 12, 1924 - November 30, 2018
A man who: - Knew enough to be polite to political leaders that he strongly disagreed with (e.g. Saddam Hussein);
- Knew that free trade was a generator of wealth (bringing Mexico into NAFTA);
- Knew that maintaining friendships with allied nations even during trade disputes with those nations was important;
- Was able to work with the Democrats even when he didn't want to;
- Knew climate change was real and supported legislation to reduce acid rain; and
- Was secure enough to poke fun at himself on SNL.
Bush may have been the last Republican President that I actually respect.
|
|
|
| A little snippet, to prove I am still working on things... |
|
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 11-27-2018, 02:51 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk S: Heart of Steel
- Replies (5)
|
 |
"Power is a terrible thing, teishi. It can turn the weak into
bullies and an innocent into a tyrant if it is not understood and
used sparingly. There is a responsibility that must be
acknowledged by those who gain power on the scale you and I
possess -- a responsibility to know when and when *not* to use our
power -- and *how*. Always be wary of using *too much*, because
there is always a way to solve any problem that is simple and
easy and massive overkill, and which will have so many unexpected
side effects that they will swamp out any good you intended to
do. In anything but the defeat of your enemies, always use the
lightest touch and the least power necessary, because there is a
great difference between a drinking fountain and a fire hose.
"And yes, I know I am a hypocrite where this is concerned. But
for many uses of my own power, I have no chance to be subtle or
learn subtlety."
|
|
|
|