| Welcome, Guest |
You have to register before you can post on our site.
|
| Online Users |
There are currently 1797 online users. » 1 Member(s) | 1793 Guest(s) Applebot, Bing, Google, Labster
|
| Latest Threads |
Fourth Oddities Spotted i...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Labster
14 minutes ago
» Replies: 63
» Views: 8,419
|
Fic Update Thread 64: Wil...
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Jinx999
49 minutes ago
» Replies: 25
» Views: 766
|
Meanwhile, in Canada...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Last Post: robkelk
6 hours ago
» Replies: 57
» Views: 12,027
|
Crossovers that should be...
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 08:23 AM
» Replies: 253
» Views: 80,587
|
Political Images thread t...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 08:13 AM
» Replies: 263
» Views: 43,769
|
Image dump thread XXXII
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 08:10 AM
» Replies: 109
» Views: 10,385
|
Typo-swatting
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: drakensis
Yesterday, 02:50 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 61
|
Dearly Departed of 2026
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Norgarth
10-03-2026, 11:14 PM
» Replies: 84
» Views: 12,554
|
RPG.net forums.
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Dartz
10-03-2026, 04:34 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 59
|
All The Tropes Wiki Proje...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: robkelk
10-03-2026, 08:02 AM
» Replies: 110
» Views: 10,301
|
|
|
| Some mild birthday amusement |
|
Posted by: LynnInDenver - 03-16-2015, 05:01 AM - Forum: General Chatter
- Replies (6)
|
 |
So my friend Mike, who is the "model" of my Fenspace Myk-El character, got a hold of a little swag piece for me, which greatly amuses me.
![[Image: ef026e51a49c40d859e73b2b5fb20d4fe9f84163.jpg]](http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumimportfiles/ef026e51a49c40d859e73b2b5fb20d4fe9f84163.jpg)
And yes, that is indeed an actual body badge from a Gremlin attached to the corner, not just a print approximation of one. Also, outside of the color (ours was white), it is pretty much what my family had for the first 10 years I was around, including the presence of the roof rack. And the little hanging thing is a car air freshener.
We're going to have a find a nice piece of wall for it, which may mean moving some of the existing art around.
--
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
|
|
|
| Declaration of Financial Independence |
|
Posted by: ordnance11 - 03-14-2015, 11:45 PM - Forum: General Chatter
- Replies (15)
|
 |
5 years ago, I was deep in the financial hole. Lost my job for a year. Every credit card I got was nearing max and I was just barely making minimum payments.And would you believe I was still paying off my college loan?
Now?
1. I am one month away from paying off the last of my credit card debt. I paid off my college loan 2 years ago.
2. I just 8 months away from paying off my car loan, if I double my payments. Which is now doable. Maybe more since it is now my last major outstanding debt. Which I had to get in 2011 when some moron smashed into me at 60 mph and I was standing still. Because he was texting. *still makes me mad when I think about it.*
So in November 2015, I can declare financial independence. I might be able to up it to July of 2015. Which might be more appropriate.
So whatever date this happens I will finally be free this year from the tyranny of debt. I feel like singing!
Of course the big question is..now what? I'm saving for retirement..check..what else do I need to do?
__________________
Into terror!, Into valour!
Charge ahead! No! Never turn
Yes, it's into the fire we fly
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
|
|
|
| I got to do something cool Wednesday! |
|
Posted by: Tennie - 03-13-2015, 08:28 PM - Forum: General Chatter
- Replies (3)
|
 |
First, let me begin:
I am what is known as a "weather weenie": That is, someone who loves weather. In fact, I am currently majoring in meteorology in college.
So anyway, about a couple of weeks ago or so I found this article about a book coming out (What Stands in a Storm by Kim Cross) about the devastating tornado outbreak of April 27, 2011. The article said that the author was going on a book tour and would be hosting a launch party in Birmingham, Alabama, on March 11.
After some talking with my dad, we decided to go down to that launch party and book signing. Well, we drove down to Birmingham (staying overnight in one of the hotels there).
There, I got to meet not only the author (and have my copy signed), but I also got to meet some of the people who were featured in the book. That was certainly an interesting experience.
I even got to meet James Spann, chief meteorologist of ABC 33/40 (Birmingham's ABC affiliate). He's a very cool guy who runs the Alabama Weather Blog and hosts the long-running podcast WeatherBrains. We got to talk some, and he was notably impressed about my knowledge of the storms that have ravaged Alabama at one point or another (he even signed my copy!).
At one point, I commented to Dad that I was "flying high," to which he responded, "Why do drugs when you can follow your passions?"
Now, how cool is that?
|
|
|
| Well, here we go again. |
|
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 03-11-2015, 03:08 AM - Forum: General Chatter
- Replies (138)
|
 |
As I may have mentioned back when they hired me, my current employers are (even after several years) a web startup. They are periodically given infusions of cash by their parent company as they approach profitability. (And they are approaching profitability; break-even and beyond was forecast for this quarter.) However, for reasons best known to them, the parent company stopped funding them today. And although on the books the company is doing well, this end to funding means they are now dramatically cash-short. So much so that they had to immediately lay off a third of their staff in order to be able to pay the rest.
So as of about 4:30 this afternoon, EDT, they are now my former employers, and I'm back on the market.
However, things are a lot better than they were in 2009. And unlike then, I have been getting unsolicited emails from headhunters about very nicely-paying job openings for months now. And I have an entire job search mechanism in place that I've successfully employed twice in the past few years. I think I'll be okay, and employed again far more quickly than I was last time.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
|
|
|
| Yoke Tuesday? Or how we accidentally legalised ecstasy, meth, ketamine, cat and god knows what. |
|
Posted by: Dartz - 03-11-2015, 03:03 AM - Forum: General Chatter
- Replies (3)
|
 |
Apparently, for the next 24 hours or so, meth, along with ketamine, ecstasy and a couple of other things is perfectly legal to possess in the republic of Ireland. A judge in the appropriately named 'high' court ruled that the 37 year old law used to actually ban them, and a bunch of other 'legal' highs, was unconstitutional. And always has been.
This is of course, so absurd as to be hilarious. The whole world turns as one and goes 'Whu?' The absurdity of it all is highlighted by the Rubberbandits on Newstalk
http://www.newstalk.com/player/home/The ... bout_yokes
Salient and fairly serious points about mental health made here
Now then, the Dail is going to go into an emergency session to ram through a bill to correct this minor fuckup, but by the time the gears of the Oireachtas grind around and it slithers through the Seanad to the President's desk, at least 24-48 hours will pass.
But, until then....
![[Image: jtZ0KD2.jpg]](http://i.imgur.com/jtZ0KD2.jpg)
Time to get cooking.
________________________________
--m(^0^)m-- Wot, no sig?
|
|
|
|