Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Just Realized I Never Mentioned...
My first interview of the year-Serendipity strikes!
Was a impromptu one.

I was leaving a training school after I was finished with a refresher class when I noticed on their poster board (which was on the ground). It wsa a noticed that anyone interested in a part or full time trainer position contact the head trainer. I found him and asked about the position. He said that he needs someone with both field experience and have knowledge in training. I told him I have 10 years field experience and I have experience as a trainer in the army. He asked for a resume. I went to my briefcase and gave him my civilian and federal resume. He was satisfied that I met the requirements. He said that I'll have to start on simple classes, but I didn't have a problem with that. A funny moment was when if he asked if any of the references I gave were still around (they were when I checked last month. One of them sat with me on the current class). He said he'll be in touch and we shook hands and left. 

Seneca was right. Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. Tojour pret! Carpe diem!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:Seneca was right. Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. Tojour pret! Carpe diem!
Knowing when to seize an opportunity is a big part of job-hunting. Good work!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:Seneca was right. Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. Tojour pret! Carpe diem!
Knowing when to seize an opportunity is a big part of job-hunting. Good work!

Rob, don't make me quote that cheesy line from G.I Joe. But thanks for the compliment!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Excellent! Good luck with it!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
fly in the ointment
Oh, this is interesting.
It seems that you have up to 52 weeks in the unemployment pool. Once your time is up, your unemployment comes out of states. There is a snag. If you take any job that pays...the EDD computes your new benefits at your new pay...so you watch your benefits drop like a rock if you do take a part-time job.
So it's either take a full time job or no job at all.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I have my (rescheduled) second interview with the company in NYC this afternoon. Wish me luck.
-- Bob
---------

Given my handle, I'm always a bit nervous about wishing someone luck. But, for what it's worth, you have my best hopes and wishes.

Good Thoughts your way.

Good luck Bob!  x ^_^

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Well?
Bob, how did it go?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Got back from interview at 6:00, immediately drove to Plainsboro to pick up Peggy from work, got home 7 pm exhausted, looking forward to collapsing for evening, but got roped into a wild goose chase that wasted the entire night until about half an hour ago. Am in foulest mood possible and simultaneously in walking-dead stage of exhaustion. Details tomorrow when I have actually slept.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, back now with some sleep, but still somewhat bad mood. Good news, the mood isn't because of the interview. The interview ran long -- always a good sign on second interviews. I pressed about why bring me back for an entry/junior position, and basically I was told, "we don't get a resume like yours very often, we don't want to let you get away." I suspect they still won't be able to afford me -- when I was asked what my desired salary was, I told the HR person very honestly, "I was making $70K at Best, and commutation/parking will cost me almost another $5000 a year, so the minimum I could accept would be 75K." I think from the body language I saw that that was beyond what they had budgeted. But then she also told me about other upcoming positions not yet fully defined or active yet that they'd like me for if I didn't get this one, positions that would pay higher. She also mentioned that they had gotten hundreds of applications, but had only brought back 5 to 7 people for second-round interviews.

In any case, it will take them a week to make a decision.

It's a nice place, casual to business-casual in dress code, cool industrial decor look. It's on the top floor of the building so most rooms seem to have skylights, which I thought was a nice touch. Unfortunately, it's also like in the outer Mongolia of midtown Manhattan -- it's fifteen minutes' walk minimum from the closest subway station, practically on the Hudson past 11th avenue. There's a bus line that stops at the corner, but it is, according to the folks I spoke with, significantly slower than walking. And there's almost nothing in the way of quick casual eateries around -- I had to walk 8 more blocks to find a pizzeria to get lunch before the interview. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the negatives of the location and the commute don't outweigh the positives of the company's atmosphere and purpose.
-- Bob
---------

That's a heck of a thing to think about - do you want a job or do you want to be happy in that job? Being a veteran of the crappy commute and location situation (hey, they tend to build the kind of power plants that I used to work at 25 miles from nowhere), I found that the money usually made things at least bearable.  But it sounds as if you're not even going to get that.  As they say, it's a buyers market - they can (and will) find someone else who will take the job at what they're offering.
So, and I know you know this, you and Peggy are going to have to decide just how much you want to compromise with this. A job now that's in a bad location (for you) for less money than you want, or decline and see if something better turns up later (kind of like selling a house - how much are you willing to cut your asking price before you just can't do it any more)
Like I said, a heck of a situation.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Well, this is the HR person who offered to talk me up to HR folks from other companies owned by the same parent corp. We spoke very frankly about the salary issue, and my concerns about being offered a job at lower than was livable and having to take it to keep from losing my unemployment benefits. This prompted the the discussion of the other positions in the pipeline, and she repeated the bit about pitching me to the other companies in the group.

As for decision making, well, as I replied to Ord11 in the new thread he started, I should hear from the local company several days before I hear back from this one. And quite frankly, if they offer me a spot, I'll take it, no hesitation. And based on our conversation, I think that the NYC HR person would not offer me the spot if they couldn't do $75K, so as not to mess with my unemployment. So that may solve itself.
-- Bob
---------

It's very sad when the unemployment laws prevent you from taking even a part time job.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well, I wouldn't have time for a part-time job -- searching for a new position is almost a full-time job for me. I sometimes have my afternoons free or freeish, but I always put in at least five hours of searching on weekdays before I break for lunch.
-- Bob
---------
How true!
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Well, I wouldn't have time for a part-time job -- searching for a new position is almost a full-time job for me. I sometimes have my afternoons free or freeish, but I always put in at least five hours of searching on weekdays before I break for lunch.
How true. I remember the EDD counselor telling a group of us..."You say you don't have a job? You do have a job. Your job is to look for a job!"Which is very true. Unless you get a part-time job that leads to a full time job, it's not worth it. Since my part time job is volunteering it is leading to a full time job. I'm making use of the resources that being a veteran can have access too. It also helps that one of the people helping me was the head of Human Resources at the VA I'm volunteering with and he knows the navigation.

On that note:
Announcement: DE-10-OSHA-66
GS-0690-09
Duty Location(s): Savannah, GA
Dear me (name changed to protect the innocent)Your application for the above referenced position has been received and processed. 

You were determined to be among our best qualified candidates and your application was referred to the selecting official for further consideration. You may be contacted by either the selecting official for an interview or by this office regarding the final disposition of your application. 

I also got the same notification for the same position for Jacksonville Florida.
I got a bite...2 bites!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Yay!
-- Bob
---------
Make it one more
Stage 1 cleared for the same position at Wilmington Delaware. 3 bites so far!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Goofy Job Requirements, Latest In A Series
Quote:Qualifications:
* You have been programming Windows since it was cool.
* You know that GAC is not something your cat does on a hairball.
* You'd rather write a delegate than have it be assigned to you.
* You know unit testing is not to be mocked.
* When you go out to eat at a restaurant, you wonder why the menu isn't presented in SQL.
* You think in multiple threads.
* You thrive in a fast paced work environment and get a rush from a well designed algorithm.
* You have a love for technology and are generally curious to read, discover and play with new gadgets.
* You can field dress a moose.
I'm actually applying to this one.  I'll have to disappoint them on the moose thing, though.
ETA:  Well, darn.  The internal application site didn't offer me the option of including a cover letter.  And I was going to be so charmingly humorous on it, to match the tone of the ad, too.
But I did apply.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:I'll have to disappoint them on the moose thing, though.
Insert requisite Monty Python and the Holy Grail quote here.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I just got word back from the local company. I didn't get the position. The letter made it sound like I came a strong second -- the fellow doing the hiring said if the guy he hired didn't work out in 90 days, he'd be getting in touch with me.

It's not much consolation, though.
-- Bob
---------

My condolences. good luck with your next attempt.

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Sorry to hear about it, Bob.

Did you ever get an one  of those interview questions: about of how others see you?

Note: edited. Main reason I asked because I was stumped about that one. Had to ask my ex-boss and colleagues about it.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell