Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IV

Got in touch with drewski, and he not only was very nice about my message, he told me while he's not aware of all the issues regarding copyright law, he is willing to address those issues and unlike Fast Eddie, not nessecarily beholden to Fast Eddie's policies on that, and is thus willing to meet us halfway and discuss the matter further.

In fact, he is aware of our site mission and goals, and unlike Fast Eddie, extended us an olive branch and wants to work with us in improving relations.

I advised him to contact Bob specifically (due to having the largest case of all of us) and to consult an attorney concerning the current status of all the contested work, and since he's willing to work with us, I informed him we desire the most amicable and legally satisfactory conclusion to this issue if possible (without legal battles if at all avoidable), and since he responded with such grace and decency to me, my opinion of him is much higher than it was for Fast Eddie already, and I only hope these discuissions bear fruit and not only our website but his version of TV Tropes prospers.

Again, I was very pleasantly surprised by drewski's willingness to cooperate with us, and I remain somewhat optimistic at present this matter will be resolved to our mutual satisfaction.

Oh, cool. There's probably a message waiting for me in my Kickstarter inbox, then. (And it just occurs to me that I should have included my email address in my message to him last night. Oh well.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, cool. There's probably a message waiting for me in my Kickstarter inbox, then. (And it just occurs to me that I should have included my email address in my message to him last night. Oh well.)

I sent him a reply with your email address, but yeah, couldn't hurt to get in touch with him again.

Just stumbled over this -- the {{outdated}} template is returning a big red "" message instead of what it's supposed to.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Just stumbled over this -- the {{outdated}} template is returning a big red "" message instead of what it's supposed to.

I'll look it over Bob, thanks for the report. Also, please get back to me when you have a resonse from drewski.

Update: We apparently need ScribUnto (our Lua rendering extension) updated, going to ask John when we can move up to MediaWiki 1.24 (all all extensions in that repo), as that should fix the issue.

Okay, about 2/3 to 3/4 of my attempts to access pages, or submit edits, or, well, anything on the wiki today results in the much-beloved 504 error. Is this continuing side effects of the failed upgrade?
-- Bob
---------

Nah, it's probably my submitting all those Shakespeare source pages. I'll lay off for awhile.

That's not it. Your last edit was an hour ago, and I'm still getting 504s. What's incredibly frustrating is that the spammers are getting through, but I'm not.
Edit:  It's like something is seriously overloading the wiki for fifteen minutes out of every twenty, with five minute windows of usability in between... 
-- Bob
---------

OK, I'm finally jumping on the "let's talk to the new TVT leadership" bandwagon.  I'm going to try a new approach -- a face-to-face meeting.  I'm pretty certain that this Drew Schoentrup person who's running TVT now is the same one who is an IP lawyer.  So I'm going to try a new approach.  I'm going to be in the San Diego area on Friday anyway for work reasons, so I requested a face-to-face meeting.  Hopefully, I'll get a positive response, but I have no idea how well Kickstarter email works.
Anyway, please let me know, here or via email, what sort of outcome you're looking for.
-- ∇×V

Bob Schroeck Wrote:That's not it. Your last edit was an hour ago, and I'm still getting 504s. What's incredibly frustrating is that the spammers are getting through, but I'm not.

Edit:  It's like something is seriously overloading the wiki for fifteen minutes out of every twenty, with five minute windows of usability in between...

John just implemented the following fix to see if that improves performance:

http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbo ... 2453816e39

Probably won't take effect immediately, but it should be a massive improvement if all our problems are due to PHP memory limitations, as seems likely.

Also, as for Brent meeting this Drew guy, I hope that works out, keep me in the loop as well plz.

Looks like the meeting is happening.  Awesome?
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:Looks like the meeting is happening.  Awesome?

Alright, please let us know afterwards! Smile

Brent -- if you haven't seen it, I sent you a new email about 2 hours ago. Written when I wasn't feeling ... cranky. Not that it's a rush job now that I know the meeting's on Friday.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:GethN7 wrote:
Quote:John just implemented the following fix to see if that improves performance:
http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbo ... 2453816e39

Probably won't take effect immediately, but it should be a massive improvement if all our problems are due to PHP memory limitations, as seems likely.
Twelve hours after that post:
Quote:Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.
(Cannot contact the database server: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.131.243.243' (113) (10.131.243.243))

You can try searching via Google in the meantime.Note that their indexes of our content may be out of date.
All The TropesWWW
with the window caption of "Internal error".  This when I try to go to the wiki's top page.
-- Bob
---------

Same error across Orain. Maybe that wasn't the best thing to try...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Same error across Orain. Maybe that wasn't the best thing to try...

As I said, the fix won't be immediately useful, especially since it was done late yesterday and a full 24 hours has yet to pass, so sometime this afternoon I'm going to see if there is any improvement (I can browse and edit just fine, albeit slowly), and if not, I'm putting in a request for more resources (will require $$$)

Yeah, it's working now, but in slow motion.
-- Bob
---------

I noticed ATT seems to be functioning somewhat better, would like to know if it's just me noticing that.

Also, got this suggestion on Wikipediocracy:

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p120245

John Lewis thinks it's a pretty good idea, would like other opinions.

Bob Wrote:Not that it's a rush job now that I know the meeting's on Friday.
Oh did I not... sorry.  Basically I'm heading down to the office tomorrow, which happens super-rarely, which put me a just an hour away from the new owner(s) of TVT.  Fate granted me the opportunity, so I might as well take it.
-- ∇×V

GethN7 Wrote:I noticed ATT seems to be functioning somewhat better, would like to know if it's just me noticing that.

Also, got this suggestion on Wikipediocracy:

%[link=http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3989&p=120245#p120245]http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p120245]

John Lewis thinks it's a pretty good idea, would like other opinions.

Sounds like a good idea to me - especially if the amount is set to something reasonable (say, $500 for two more virtual servers for a few years).

Oh, and please let Johnny Au know that I have just addressed the complaint he made twice about http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Avo ... d_G_Rating]Avoid the Dreaded G Rating (only now because I just saw the thread an hour ago), and ask whether this is what he was looking for. I do agree with him on the idea of being able to use the pages for reference, but I don't want to put in a lot of work on something that isn't suitable (especially since I have the Poser.DS freebie wiki to worry about as well).
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:GethN7 wrote:
I noticed ATT seems to be functioning somewhat better, would like to know if it's just me noticing that.
Four hours later it's dreadfully slow and as likely to forget it has a style sheet as use it.
-- Bob
---------

I feel like Mr. Morden, asking everyone what they want. Tongue
-- ∇×V

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:GethN7 wrote:I noticed ATT seems to be functioning somewhat better, would like to know if it's just me noticing that.
Four hours later it's dreadfully slow and as likely to forget it has a style sheet as use it.

Okay, I guess it's time I filed that issue to John:

Here it is:

http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbook/issues/487

You know, I was looking forward to posting at lunch time that the wiki was whipping along nice and briskly all morning. Then it had to decide to start 504ing right in the middle of an image upload five-ten minutes ago. It's also losing the style sheet again on those pages it does bother to actually show.

There are times when I wonder if the aggravation is actually worth it.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:You know, I was looking forward to posting at lunch time that the wiki was whipping along nice and briskly all morning. Then it had to decide to start 504ing right in the middle of an image upload five-ten minutes ago. It's also losing the style sheet again on those pages it does bother to actually show.

There are times when I wonder if the aggravation is actually worth it.

I just reiterated our frustration on that github issue somewhat more insistently this time. If you'd like to add your own, feel free, it might help.