Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC
RE: 2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC
The idea behind the electoral college is sound - it is supposed to stop the big states dominating.

The winner-takes-all implimentation almost everyone has settled on is fairly bollocks though. It makes a few states super important. It also means you can get a result way out of line of the popular vote and you can only do that so many times, or to such a degree, before you risk public ructions.

Surely a few clever 'safe' states might consider to earn themselves some extra promises by offering to split the vote in proportion.

----

We use a PR system for our presidency, with candidates proposed by a mix of local authority and political party nominations. It's a lot more stable.

---

Has there ever been a faithless elector? Aren't these just a formality?

It's amusing. The desire for, and fear of, faithless electors trades hands depending on whose in the lead.

EDIT: Oh wow - it's actually reasonably common. Mostly as a protest of some sort rather than actually overturning the result.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC - by Dartz - 11-05-2020, 09:07 PM