Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
cp2 (North America) does tend to get shut off for bandwidth overages a few days before the end of the month.  And we then flag down an employee via ticket and ask them to comp the last two days until the cycle resets, and then we do it again next month.  This is much better than some other providers, like AWS, who would ask us to deposit additional dollars into the machine.

I'm not really going to be around Miraheze much in the future but it's fairly obvious that they've outgrown RamNode.  They're a great provider, don't get me wrong, but they just don't offer the kind of products you'd need for a server getting constant traffic.  If you have a little side project that can share most of its CPU time and net connection with somebody else's stuff, it's great for small VPSes.  But it has to change, probably based on the fundraiser results.  They don't even sell configurations that are useful to Miraheze, except for the minimal use stuff that's not the wiki itself -- matomo analytics, phabricator, puppet, etc.

I'm not really sure what the plan they'll go forward with, but it will probably involve buying hardware or renting dedicated servers on a monthly basis.  Possibly running VPS software like Xen or something internally so they can divide a machine into different roles.  The buying hardware option is cheapest -- unless something breaks, in which case we either get Southparkfan on the bus/train to the DC or Miraheze foots the bill for a remote pair or hands.  And it also requires the money upfront, which brings up the fundraiser again.  To me the decision should actually rest on how they foresee their professionalism in the future.  Owning property takes a lot more planning and maintenance than using someone else's stuff.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV - by Labster - 12-27-2019, 03:47 AM