Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
(09-11-2020, 04:16 AM)Labster Wrote: So basically you're asking us to trust Encyclopedia Dramatica and 4chan over Netflix?  That's the hill you want to die on?

I know there are some sick fucks in Hollywood, since I've heard a few first-person accounts from friends.  But they tend to save that stuff for the back rooms and yachts.  This is a film that won a Best Director award at Sundance.  It has 88% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.  So either there are a lot of fucking pedophiles at newspapers around the country, and Reed Hastings decided to drive a $222 billion company into the ground in exchange for a ride in the FBI Party Van, or you're exaggerating.

Now, we may not want to discuss movie this right now, because people are currently in freak-out mode about it.  And that's okay.  I doubt an on-wiki discussion about it would be all that fruitful right now.  But the point of academic freedom is to be able to discuss these kinds of works that people find problematic.

Based on what I read from other sources besides them (they were far from my first source, just mentioned them in the context of how despite their reputations they won't touch the imagery of the film with a ten foot pole), yes, I WILL die on that hill. I've seen left, right, and center types on various news sites all condemn this, and for the record, yes, I am convinced Netflix is, in fact, that stupid. And, if you check Rotten Tomatoes, note the Critical Dissonance of the "critics" versus the audience.

That said, I'm not unreasonable, this can be reviewed later, I won't try to interfere with that, just know in advance my vote will be a hard NO and that's all as far as I'm concerned and if it's allowed despite my protest then, I want it known in advance I had absolutely nothing to do with allowing discussion of it and if there is legal fallout for it, I will throw anyone who defended it under the bus if ever placed in that position without shame because while I'll make allowance for a lot of things legal under US law, I am absolutely convinced, based on what I've gathered, this would fail the following standard, therefore I do not want to run the risk of being wrong under any circumstance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dost_test

Anyone here who wants to take one for the team and review it in full, go right ahead and take that risk. If you can come back with an ironclad argument I'm wrong, I will eat all the crow you want, but until that is done, I have every intention of dying on this hill. Further, until we can absolutely sure this is fine to cover on legal grounds, I refuse to consider changing my mind until we can assured of such, and if anyone wants to overrule this decision PRIOR to making sure of that, let me know when I need to tender my resignation and full surrender of any rights to ATT.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII - by GethN7 - 09-11-2020, 04:59 AM