Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC
RE: 2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC
There have been a lot of valid complaints about what the Democratic Party has so far achieved for black voters, and a drive for real progress.  But then people try to say that if Democrats don't show more support, they won't get the votes.  I think the second is not implied by the first -- and this is true even if the person is saying it about their own vote.

There are two main types of voter: those who are willing to compromise to support a party, and those who don't vote so they can say it's not their fault.  They may try to phrase it as "no party supports my values" or "no party has been willing to show me they want my vote", but these are excuses for apathy or ignorance or avoiding a choice.  Perfect is never on the ballot.

In this election, black Americans have a choice.  They can either vote for the guy who runs with African-American running mates and occasionally just doesn't get it on race because he's a white grandpa. Or they can vote for the guy who still wants to send five exonerated black men to the gallows, sends in secret police to break up their protests, and opened concentration camps for brown children.  Or they can tell their children and grandchildren that when the first black woman was on the national ballot, they did nothing.

Quote:Steve Bannon charged...
Every time I hear about USPIS, I think about The Detour and the Javert-ish postal inspector character.

(08-19-2020, 06:15 PM)robkelk Wrote: May as well start the second thread off with something useful: Presidential Poll Tracker.

I like this one, the vote swing feature is nice. (A swing of +3.0R would throw the election to the House of Representatives.) If you want to dig more into the data, the specific state polls, and how good pollsters are, check out the Poll tracker on Five Thirty-Eight.

Finally, I'm thinking of taking up the offer in Rob's signature.  If Trump wins, there really won't be anything left here worth saving. Not right away of course, but it's probably worth leaving before they start requiring exit visas, you know?  Might be worth checking out Europe too, I have a few work contacts over there.  (I also have a friend who knows a Taiwanese cabinet member, but I doubt that connection would be more useful than a job offer.)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 US election - It Came from Washington DC - by Labster - 08-20-2020, 07:34 PM