Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling out Florin - There Will Be Dragons
re:Trigger words and et al.
Quote:
Seriously, can't people write simple trilogies or stand-alones anymore? Or if a series, thinner books without the padding? The only series I kept on multi was Hornblower because they're pretty thin books and Aubrey/Maturin because the language and detail was crunchy.
I heartily recommend Dewy Lambdin's Alan Lewrie naval adventures. I think you'll like Alan Lewrie.
Quote:
As for trigger words, I'm probably in the small minority of the Filipino people that responds to the words "Bataan Death March" with "Macarthur should have been with them so he could pay for his stupidity. War Plan Orange, my ass!", but hey, I blame that on my environment. ^_^
That's MacArthrur..love him or hate him..no middle ground.
My father was a veteran of the first (and second) Philippine campaign and he took off for the hills when the surrrender order came. To his dying day, he hated the Japanese with a vengeance. As a matter of fact, I feel anger when the words "Bataan Death March" comes into mind.
Hiroshima and Nagsaki..to be honest..it's not horror..it's glee, to be truthful. You guys wanted total war...have at it. Payback, in more than full measure. Vengeance with a capital "V".
This from a guy who has Japanese friends, reads manga and anime and eats sushi once a week. Weird, huh?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: re:Trigger words and et al.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look them up.
Anyway, triggers are specific to people. Everyone has the right to be unique.
Anyway back to the discussion - just saw a blurb for a new that's relevant. Here it is:
"The American Empire has grown too fast, and the fault lines at home are stressed to the breaking point. The war of words between Right and Left has collapsed into a shooting war, though most people just want to be left alone.
The battle rages between the high-technology weapons on one side and militia foot soldiers on the other, devastating the cities and overrunning the countryside. But the vast majority, who only want the killing to stop and the nation to return to more peaceful days, have technology, weapons, and strategic geniuses of their own.
When the American dream shatters into violence, who can hold the people and the government together? And which side will you be on?"

Disturbingly enough, guess who wrote it: Orson Scott Card and the publisher is TOR - though I could feel this would be right up Ringo and Baen's alley.