Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pending Move
Re: Pending Move
Is that what that ungodly noise was? I thought somebody actually tried to explain "why we don't do this," to Trump, and failed.
--
There does not seem to be a "Mark all messages as read" button. I blame Tapatalk.
I'm too tired right now to try to fix it.  I'm crashing and I'll attack it tomorrow.

Sorry, folks.

(At least I still have all the original data; nothing is lost during the transfer process.)-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Two steps forward, one step back.  :p

No worries, Bob.  I'm sure you'll get it.
This is a warning ahead of time:  When I get home from work tonight, I'm going to reset the posts and threads tables for the new boards completely, and clear out the last post info from the forums table, and start the whole thing over from scratch.  Hopefully I'll be able to get most of what I had in place yesterday morning back up by Friday night.

I'll repeat this:  All threads and posts will be deleted tonight to prepare for reloading transferred material.  That includes the thread which originally reported the problem, and any posts anyone makes between now and then.  Thanks to my typoing a SQL statement we've lost virtually all the new content on the board already.  I'm going to start the rebuild with a clean slate.-- Bob
---------
Something weird going on with the "last post" column in the forum view. If you go into general it says the last post for the ATT archives is something from fenspace (that isn't on the forum) with a tid of 0. Some other links have tids of 0 too even though the threads with those names do exist.

I don't know how big a problem that is, but it looks concerning.

-Morgan.
Not sure what caused that, Morganite, but I've fixed it.

Meanwhile, I've completed restoring the "General" area to the best of my ability.  Less than a dozen threads that only existed at the new boards were permanently lost.  As I said before, I'll decode and restore the "door opens" thread when I'm done with everything else.

I've been at this all afternoon, so I'm taking a brief break (how brief depends on my wife's choice of dinner option) before I start in on the "Drunkard's Walk" section of the board.-- Bob
---------
And everything that was lost is now restored. Better yet, this time I used MyBB's backup facilities to make backups every couple forums, so another fatfinger event won't wipe us out completely.  Better yet, I've activated the automated weekly backup task.  We're covered now, folks.

I also (re)discovered the "Recount & Rebuild" utilities, which include in their number tools to automate a lot of the thread counting and most recent post tracking tasks I was doing by hand.  Everything should be showing the right info everywhere, Morgan!

In other news, I have, after deeper study of the tables, realized that the sequence of posts in a MyBB thread appears to be controlled solely by the timestamp on the post, not any arbitrary "post number" field.  This means I can move the old data for recently-active boards over, let you guys pick up on the new boards in where you left off here, and when Brent and I get the incremental scrape data, it will all slot itself automatically into its proper place in between in the various threads.

So that's our next step.  I've stayed away from forums with content postdating Brent's scrape, but I'm going to start locking and moving them now, and I'm encouraging people to just migrate over to the new boards wholesale as I do.-- Bob
---------
Oh great.  cause I kinda just sent out some feelers about something assuming we'd still mostly be here for a couple more days.  SadHear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

[b]NO QUARTER!!![/b]

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
LAST POST GET!!!

Well, probably not.  The only thing that would be annoying in porting over the more recent data will be if Tapatalk changed anything about its interface.  Hopefully nothing's changed, but I haven't checked yet.  I did get copy of the new posts, which took some debugging of a mysterious error -- which turned out to be that I hadn't installed SSL support and the domain switched to HTTPS.  D'oh!-- ?×V
Ranger, I'm not on any fixed and demanding schedule.  If you need the boards here to stay open for a while, I can accommodate you.-- Bob
---------
Is the Fenspace board supposed to be only partly done? Because it looks only partly done...

-Morgan.
Na, just grousing.  Might have an alternate conatact path if the others dont happen to look here in time.  Besides, dont think closing the board itself will affect the PM side which seems like its all crapatalk.Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

[b]NO QUARTER!!![/b]

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
At worst, we can reply by PM on the new forum.--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Morganite Wrote:Is the Fenspace board supposed to be only partly done? Because it looks only partly done...

Oddly enough, that's because it's partly done.  The last few batches of threads I've brought over had a few prematurely-truncated post inserts in them, the result of a bug that affects very long strings that I still haven't nailed down in my SQL code.  I was up until 1:30 AM last night tracking down and fixing several broken inserts in the sixth (or was it seventh?) batch of threads (out of 13 or so).  I got another hundred threads in this morning in and around breakfast, showing and dressing.  However, Labor Day weekend is a big deal for my wife's family, and I may not get much more done before Monday afternoon or evening.-- Bob
---------
Thanks for all the hard work, Bob.  Once again, let me know if you want my to migrate the content of my story posts myself.  As mentioned before, I'm not sure what will happen to them anyhow seeing as the Yuku=>Crapatalk move already horribly mangled them.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Morganite Wrote:Is the Fenspace board supposed to be only partly done? Because it looks only partly done...

Oddly enough, that's because it's partly done.

Shock!

-Morgan.
BA, so far the most common culprits in Fenspace have been Dartz and DeputyJones, both of whom were posting massive things three or four years back.  I don't remember anything of yours popping up on my radar, honestly.  But thanks for the offer!  If something of yours does get truncated, I'll put a "replace story" note of some sort in it and put the thread info here so you can identify and find it.-- Bob
---------
I suspect "Legend of Galactic Girls" might have a few big chapters as well... so please let me know whether I need to fix anything, also.--
Rob Kelk

Will do, Rob.-- Bob
---------
Labor Day obligations are complete.  Going to try to get a little more done before I have to crash tonight.

On the slumbering subject of getting SSL set up for the site, I just had Google offer this link -- an article on a site called css-tricks.com entitled "Switching Your Site to HTTPS on a Shoestring Budget" -- on my phone this afternoon.  I'd like to see what everyone who had an opinion earlier has to say on its suggestions/advice.-- Bob
---------
It involves going through Cloudflare.

Cloudflare has some excellent anti-DDoS systems that can be activated quickly. However, they also have some security issues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudflare

Your call.--
Rob Kelk

Well, my experiences with Cloudflare as a random user accessing other people's websites have been alright.  There've been one or two websites that I've had issues with, but that was usually on account of the home server going down rather than the cached copy that Cloudflare uses.  (Cloudflare helps cover the gaps, but if a server goes down and stays down or you're after a part of the website that isn't cached, they start giving out 404's.)

So if Cloudflare's free option is a viable one, I'd say go for it.  Just make sure you read the fine print and see why it's 'free'.

EDIT: Another advantage of Cloudflare is that they'll cut down on the amount of bandwidth pulled from the server.  So if your webserver service is on a per-gigabyte basis, Bob, this will likely save you some grist as well.
The thing that caught my eye was the comment saying that as written those directions secure cloudflare <-> users, but not server <-> cloudflare. Which is sure a thing.

-Morgan.
OOoooo!  That's not good.  Any way to fix that?
One worrisome to note is that they have diverted away from content-neutrality with the case of Daily Stormer, which basically means the dam has broken and they can now decide to refuse service as at a whim or force censorship.